The Scout Law; One or Twelve?

So, on a FB group I had made a comment about the theoretical 13th point of the Law generally being accepted as Hungry, though Punctual was noted as well.  One poster indicated, politely I must note, that there were 12 laws, not one.  Now, I have always read it as "The Scout Law", singular, which seems to say it is one Law.  The twelve points work in conjunction with each other to guide the Spirit of the Scout or Scouter in everyday life.  Trustworthy and Reverent are like the bookends, tying it all together as one.  So, while I have found no specific interpretation in literature, there may be some as there is much to review.  Any comments or discussion?

Edited by skeptic
add missing letter
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, MattR said:

It's really just a test of your cheerfulness. Let's face it, this is a silly thing to point out to anyone.

I agree this is mostly semantics. Since time-out-of-mind, in English, the singular was used to refer to the body of ordinances and the plural to refer to the collections of ordinances within the body. (E.g., Jewish religious law is made up of 613 laws.  The one English word serves for the two Hebrew words that distinguish the sum from the parts.)

But, it's also a reminder that scout commits to

1. duty to God and country and obedience to the scout law.
  2. helping others, and
  3. maintaining one's self prepared.

B-P has in mind an integral being of certain character. Not someone with a dozen (or more) responsibilities. God and country hold those long lists.

Edited by qwazse
On 12/27/2018 at 1:20 PM, skeptic said:

So, on a FB group I had made a comment about the theoretical 13th point of the Law generally being accepted as Hungry, though Punctual was noted as well.  One poster indicated, politely I must note, that there were 12 laws, not one.  Now, I have always read it as "The Scout Law", singular, which seems to say it is one Law.  The twelve points work in conjunction with each other to guide the Spirit of the Scout or Scouter in everyday life.  Trustworthy and Reverent are like the bookends, tying it all together as one.  So, while I have found no specific interpretation in literature, there may be some as there is much to review.  Any comments or discussion?

I agree with you. One law, 12 points to the law.