Greetings from Indiana

I am a former Boy Scout that started back in the mid to late 70's and just never stopped.  At age 13 I was introduced to the wonderful world of cub scout day camp staff by my parents who thought a teenage boy should do something more than eat, sleep, and watch tv all summer long.  Although I thought my parents were wrong, I obeyed with their wishes and ended up working 25 summers.  I spent the off camp months as a high school teacher.  Now that I have long retired from camp life, I spend my quiet times searching for historical facts, patches, etc. from Camp Belzer's(Chank-tun-un-gi) 100+ years of service to Indianapolis scouts.  I stumbled on to this site the other day when one of the patches we used was mentioned in one of the posts.  Any information anyone has offer about the camp would be welcomed with open arms.  

Welcome back.  With the history you mention, I would say you never really STOPPED  being a Scout.  That is as it should be, and to your credit. Your students have benefited thereby.

Welcome to the forums, pull up a virtual log and join the electronic campfire. 

Coffee or tea? 

Thanks Ssscout.  Yes, I agree about never leaving scouts.  Once an Eagle...Always an Eagle.  It just gets in your blood and that is an infection for which there is no cure. 

How about some hot chocolate with marshmallows?  I am still just a kid at heart

Yep, I remember you, but that was before the title "uncle" I was the quartermaster/trading post manager. I think that was your first year as a DIR. I think you were trading post manager the year before as you showed me the ropes.

Belzer completely ruled!!!!!  I hope to make it back that way sometime for a visit. Probably in 2020 for the grand ritual / 100 year anniversary of Firecrafter. That should be a blast.

Did they do much for the 100 year anniversary of the camp?

Steve

Excellent.  You can actually solve a long standing question that many of us having been having the last few years.  One of the staff photos had been marked as 1982 and I was fairly certain that it was 1983, the year that you worked.  I am going to attach the staff photos for that year.  I do believe I found you in the back right of the photo.  Can you verify you see yourself?  As long as you are certain that you worked only during 1983, then we will work on making sure we change it back the way I remembered it.

Camp Belzer Staff 1982.jpg

• Upvote 1