Wood finish for Baloo the Builder?

What kind of finish do you prefer to provide for woodworking projects? And why? What has worked for you in the past for kids this age and what didn’t work so well?

The kids have said they’d like to do bird houses or bird feeders. 

I was thinking pure tung oil but my husband thought a latex paint would be better. 

Outdoor Bird house:  Natural  wood, no finish.   

Check with your local Audubon, I predict they will say paint or oil can be off putting and even  injurious to the bird tenant.  

Our natural Pine and Cedar houses hang on the tree limbs and are occupied by sparrows and House Wrens each year.  You have to clean them out at the end of the season, so make them with removable floors or sides.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, the requirements say they have to put a finish on one of their projects... and not all the kids did that with their raingutter regatta boats which they've already finished and moved on from. 

It's not a big deal for my daughter, who has also made a little catapult which she can apply a finish to, but most of the other kids are going to need to put some kind of finish on their bird houses to meet the requirements.

Or maybe I can steer them to bird feeders instead.  

Nice piece of 1/4 " plywood.  Cut to size, sand very well all around. NEATLY(!) glue/paste an appropriate  picture cut from National Geographic or some other magazine. Let dry over night.

Come back and polyeurothane/shellac over the picture . Brush out the bubbles, brush marks.  Set on a block to dry evenly, without dust , overnight (not stick to the news paper covering the table/floor?) .  Tack the picture hanger on the back. 

The recipient will appreciate the thought because the picture will JUST be big enough to cover that crack in the wall above the refrigerator. 

There is no evidence that latex paint is an issue for birds if it is used to paint the outside. You can reduce any chance by just painting the roof or by using milk paint. Marlin houses have been painted white for many years, bat houses are painted a dark color in some regions - again no eveidence of harming these animals, just dont paint the inside.