Updated uniforms?

2 hours ago, Treflienne said:

Class A's are a "field uniform".   Skirts and dresses are no good for such -- they would only be good as a dress uniform.     And yellow shows dirt stains a lot more than tan does.

Actually I have been disappointed that scoutstuff.org is only showing the girls-fit shirt in the cotton blend.   How about a quick-dry Class A shirt for girls, so that it is actually suitable to wear on outings?  Has anyone heard if one will be forthcoming?      (We have told our girls to hold off on buying uniforms until it becomes clear what options will be available.)

I believe it would be more correct to say that the Field Uniform is sometimes referred to as "Class A," though this is a misapplication of military terminology which we generally try to avoid. And I have to say, I know many women who hike and hunt and climb and camp in skirts, dresses, jumpers, et cetera. They would just need to use patterns that allow freedom of movement. 

I do agree with the need for more fabric options for girls. I imagine that with time, National will start rolling out new options periodically just as they always have for the boys. But with the program being so new, one can only expect the options to be somewhat limited for a while. It goes with the territory.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

... That would have given their program its own distinctive yet historically rich look that would preserve tradition while simultaneously giving something new. These are clearly Scout uniforms...

Personally, I think we should look for historical inspiration by delving even further back in scouting's heritage than the mere 1980s...

How about puffy pants?

image.png.e950a721c0c04bbc0e4c10408a3d7347.png

Or hideously ugly red hats...

image.png.69a9f7e8df0a2c2906217bd90f923b9f.png

14 hours ago, Treflienne said:

And yellow shows dirt stains a lot more than tan does.

Tan and green are also colors that blend into the woods more naturally. Yellow of that hue is not.

14 hours ago, Treflienne said:

Actually I have been disappointed that scoutstuff.org is only showing the girls-fit shirt in the cotton blend.   How about a quick-dry Class A shirt for girls, so that it is actually suitable to wear on outings?  

Fingers crossed, but I have very little confidence that that will happen with any speed. The delays of this new uniform do not inspire confidence.

7 minutes ago, shortridge said:

Fingers crossed, but I have very little confidence that that will happen with any speed. The delays of this new uniform do not inspire confidence.

It may be time to see just how poor a fit the boy-cut quick-dry shirts are on the girls.   Only a few days now till they are registerd scouts.