Updated uniforms?

I can’t find any official statement, but based upon FB chatter from adults who had daughters in BSA photo shoots for the new handbook

- the new female cut uniforms will be available in Scoutshops by Feb 1

- there is virtually no change from the current uniform other than fit

It sounds like they dumped the idea of a major uniform change that was floated earlier.  Again, not official but they did share some pictures that seemed to validate their story.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Looks like in addition to new fit... covered buttons, smaller front pockets and BSA vs Boy Scouts of America.  Any other changes?   Glad they didn’t go with some of the more drastic changes, but this is definitely more than just size.

13 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Looks like in addition to new fit... covered buttons, smaller front pockets and BSA vs Boy Scouts of America.  Any other changes?   Glad they didn’t go with some of the more drastic changes, but this is definitely more than just size.

Wellllll,  I don't see the World Scout crest on this....

17 minutes ago, shortridge said:

Shirts don’t typically come with the crest sewn on. 

In our local council's scout shop they do. They also always have an American flag on the sleeve. (You can also get them with or without the council patch already sewn on...)

Well, I trained a bunch of Cub Scout leaders yesterday, and as always, I got a lot of initial frustration from the women leaders when I stressed the importance of wearing the full uniform (not just the shirt as is usual around these parts). They always express their (quite legitimate) complaints about the fit, or lack thereof, of the Scout uniform for ladies. But I showed them a few of these images and related to them the options coming out with the insertion of girls into the programs, and many of them were very encouraged to go check out the new selections. I hope they really do flatter the female figure better in the future, because I know many ladies who get frustrated trying to wear a uniform designed for gentlemen but in a feminine way. My mother actually had a pair of uniform slacks re-tailored into a skirt, and it's the envy of all the ladies in the pack who haven't the skill or means to do likewise.

I know that in the 80's, de la Renta had designs for women's uniforms that, I opine, could actually have made for an infinitely better selection of options for girls. They should have put the girls in uniforms like these, with yellow blouses/shirts or olive dresses and all the other options shown here. That would have given their program its own distinctive yet historically rich look that would preserve tradition while simultaneously giving something new. These are clearly Scout uniforms, and on all of these options they could have followed the exact same rules for award and insignia placement, but they are also clearly designed for girls - and they work! If anything, de la Renta's designs for female leaders were far superior to his designs for the menfolk (outdoor-formal was a strange direction I admit), but the program didn't have enough women back then to make these designs relevant, and here the program isn't taking advantage of designs like these now that it has the chance. We should have looked more to the past to find better options for the future.

Anyway, I have strong sartorial opinions if you couldn't tell, but man - I wish they would re-introduce designs like these instead of just changing buttons and rolling up pants. If you're going to run a program for girls, do it all the way! Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Women Scout options.jpg

Edited by The Latin Scot
20 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

They should have put the girls in uniforms like these, with yellow blouses/shirts or olive dresses and all the other options shown here.

Class A's are a "field uniform".   Skirts and dresses are no good for such -- they would only be good as a dress uniform.     And yellow shows dirt stains a lot more than tan does.

Actually I have been disappointed that scoutstuff.org is only showing the girls-fit shirt in the cotton blend.   How about a quick-dry Class A shirt for girls, so that it is actually suitable to wear on outings?  Has anyone heard if one will be forthcoming?      (We have told our girls to hold off on buying uniforms until it becomes clear what options will be available.)

• Upvote 1