19 hours ago, qwazse said:

Even in winter, I keep my gloves in my pocket until my fingers are too cold to work without them.

That's why you want to wash dishes in cold weather - use hot water.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chief - one way we solved this was by having the PL write the duty roster a week before the campout, SM or SPL signs off on it then PL runs the duty roster back through his patrol and asks for objecti

We solved it with patrol inspections. If the patrol had dirty dishes, they were hit hard. The prize, I don't remember what it was, has to be worth effort. However, this may be indicative of a big

He who will not work neither shall he eat.  II Thes 3:10 it worked in my troop back in the day.     A less harsh version might be no s'mores or cider on Saturday night.

On 12/22/2018 at 6:19 AM, qwazse said:

... assuming you have open field and can see everyone ...

My experience is it's better to NOT see everyone.  IMHO, the patrol system is much harder when you can see each even if you are hundreds of feet apart.  Some local camps are perfectly setup to have small patrol sized sites 100' to 200' feet apart, but the trees and bushes fully obscure each site from the others.  You have to trust your scouts more, but it really works out better. 

35 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

My experience is it's better to NOT see everyone.  IMHO, the patrol system is much harder when you can see each even if you are hundreds of feet apart.  Some local camps are perfectly setup to have small patrol sized sites 100' to 200' feet apart, but the trees and bushes fully obscure each site from the others.  You have to trust your scouts more, but it really works out better. 

What? You don't hew to scouts should be seen and not heard? ;)

I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If your goal is to train adults (and maybe your SPL) to take a step back, and possibly to get patrol sites  looking sharp throughout the day, being in view helps. If your goal is to get patrols to feel a little more private, then woodland are ideal. In some of our laurel thickets and hemlock stands, 50' is an eternity.