Cyclone

Should I attend an out of council WB course?

My council offers WB every other year. 2018 was our year. I started a new job around the time the course was held and I was unable to attend because of a lack of PTO. I had to choose between WB in the fall or going to Summer Camp this coming summer.  I chose camp.

For some reason my employer has changed our PTO policy and I will have twice the amount of vacation time in 2019 than I normally would. Unfortunately, the “double your fun” policy is only for 2019 and in 2020 I will be back to normal.

My question is this: Since my council won’t be offering WB in 2019, should I attend a course in one of the neighboring councils? Will I loose something from the course if I rarely, if ever, see my patrol mates during the rest of my Scouting career? Or should I just wait until the next course is offered in my local council?

Thanks for the advice.

Personally I waited till my next year my council offered it.  I felt I would connect better with people from my own council, and be able to use those relationships down the road better.

That and I am not in a huge hurry to take WB.  Its on my list, but nothing I can't live without.

Due to your extra PTO, it might be worth it to take it now, that way you don't have to make a hard choice next time on what to take off for.

Naturally the material is the same regardless where you take WB.  And, of course, no two WB experiences are the same because they are run by different staff at different location etc.  The big benefit to attending in your own council is that you will meet and become friends with other Scouters in your own council - the people you will cross paths with at roundtable and at summer camp, on a district committee or an OA event.

• Upvote 1

I think I will just wait until WB comes back to my council. I like the idea of building my Scout network at home.

• Upvote 1

After college I moved out of state for 3 years, and while there took WB in 2015.  It was fantastic and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  After moving back, I have discovered how "cliquey" and odd the Woodbadgers are in my home Council.  There have been a number of "local traditions" that distract from the course and I have a number of friends my age (late 20s-early 30s) that are so turned off by WB that they have no interest in looking into it.  I was asked to be on staff for an upcoming course, and the SM is pretty serious about doing things "by the book" so I'm super excited!

• Upvote 2