Adult Recongnition

8 hours ago, dilrod said:

Has anyone else experienced difficulty in getting a knot for a position they held?  It took my 3 years to finally get a Den Leader knot.  This only happened because I took it upon myself to prep all the forms (not just my own, but my fellow Den & Pack leaders going back two years), get the signatures and submitted to the District training chair.  The Council sat on them forever & some of those never came.  

It used to take months for my CC to sign off and 3-4 months to get the knot. Now I just fill out the form get the signatures, drive it to the scout shop to hand it in. When I get home I buy the knot from ebay and sew it on when it arrives 3 days later. In my opinion scouters should be awarded as soon as possible to show appreciation for the work they did. 

I would also like to see the knots awarded at the COH by the SPL to show aprreciation from the scouts and to let the parents know we are being trained and doing what the progam asks us to do + more.

i went to school to have lunch with my son one day.  The boys not in his class came by the table and smiled and talked then went to thiei table.  The boys in his class sat we us and talked the entire lunch.  As long as they are going out of their way to be happy to see me and not avoid me in situations like that I know I am doing the right thing.  That is my recognition.  Not something I can sew on my uniform or other item that gets stuck in a drawer or cabinet.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, dilrod said:

Has anyone else experienced difficulty in getting a knot for a position they held?  It took my 3 years to finally get a Den Leader knot.  This only happened because I took it upon myself to prep all the forms (not just my own, but my fellow Den & Pack leaders going back two years), get the signatures and submitted to the District training chair.  The Council sat on them forever & some of those never came.  

I see those old Scouters with a chest full of knots and wonder how that happened.  Were they better about awarding and processing these things in the old days?

An unfortunate reality I learned about Scouting is that lots of stuff falls through the cracks.  The BSA systems for stuff like this are all paperwork driven.  The folks who submit the forms are volunteers, the folks who sign them are volunteers, the folks who send them to the council are volunteers, and the folks who process them are ridiculously underpaid staff.

I think many of the folks with rows of them have simply learned the system.  They walk the paperwork through the signatures and drop it off personally.  They make sure it gets done.

It's unfortunate that this is what it takes sometimes.  But I like our DE and council staff and recognize that they are genuinely trying - so I really don't mind dealing with stuff like this.

Many moon ago, Scoutson joined Cubscouts.   I and LovelyWife became active Cub Leaders.   LW became active, followed Scoutson to CSDC, and was woefully unimpressed., as was I, with the program and arrangements.   She became the next CSDC Director.  This meant she had to attend Camp School,  and with great trepidation, she signed up.

With her experience with other Scout Leaders, she decided she would be more comfortable with a uniform (up to then, she did not wear one), so when she bought one and put on the proper badges (Den Leader, etc.) she decided that to "fit in", she needed some more "bling", could she earn some "knots"?    We discovered that she had already fulfilled at least two, maybe three knots! Cub Leader, Den Leader training, (and I forget the last).  Filled out the forms, got'em signed, sewed on the knots, and off she went  to Camp School.  Came back pumped.  

She served admirably as CSDC Director for five years, ( I was enlisted as "First Assistant Everything Else")  trained/encouraged the next two Directors, and Scoutson earned Eagle. 

After the first year of CSDC, LW was awarded the District Award of Merit (one more knot).  Knots are worth pursuing, if appropriate to your purpose.  

Edited by SSScout
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Each year our Committee Chairman gives out something small to each registered leader as a thank you at our Blue and Gold. It is small, a key chair, a Christmas ornament, a carabiner with the pack number on it, etc. A way to say the Pack appreciates your time. Its the thought that counts, and it helps to remind the other families that aren't helping just how few people are running the pack, and maybe they can come help too. our out going Den Leaders (Cub Master, CC) typically are also given a n engraved coin, with dates and pack numbers on it. Some times in a homemade shadow box with a picture of the scouts, or a wooden 'cookie' with all the scouts signatures on it. Something sentimental, not expensive, a reminder that a we appreciate all they have done.