Adult Recongnition

What do some of you do to recongnize leaders as they move on from your unit. Do you only do it for den leaders or cubmasters?  Do you do something diffrent for Committee members?

plaques? Gift cards? Hardy handshakes?

No plaques please!

The best gift is one you cannot give: A young man who returns from overseas and stops by and catches the scouter up on all he's been doing and his plans for the future, and then they can talk about a few shared memories. Had one of those last night.

Short of that, a neckerchief signed by all of the scouts is a good start.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

We try to recognize key leaders each year as they are being active with the troop.  

For summer activities we have made mugs (large / regular / travel)  and metal coozies over the years.  In August we have an adult leaders "meeting" and review the summer.  We have about 25 - 30 leaders there from various summer camps, HA, and support functions

At Christmas we try to get a small gift for the SM / ASM's / Outdoor

For others they sort of, to paraphrase Dugout Doug McArthur..."Old leaders never die, they simply fade away" (Note that he swiped that from and old English folk song)

Now we did have a long-term SM step down, we had some items for him.

• Thanks 1

A photo of the scouts (with holiday season, perhaps you have that opportunity that the pack or troop is gathered and can herd them together for a quick shot) and perhaps a card signed by as many of the youth as you can is a wonderful gift.  Most leaders that I have seen step away cherish the memories they made, and probably have more gear than they care to admit they built up in their years in the program :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, qwazse said:

No plaques please!

Unless it's a homemade one. One den made a plaque with the DL patch and their signatures burned into it.

The best gift is one you cannot give: A young man who returns from overseas and stops by and catches the scouter up on all he's been doing and his plans for the future, and then they can talk about a few shared memories. Had one of those last night.

110% AGREE! This has happened to me several times, and I am looking forward to attending one of my Eagle's wedding in March.

Short of that, a neckerchief signed by all of the scouts is a good start.

Necker signed by the Scouts is AWESOME!.

My most treasured gift is a photo album that was given to me when I left the troop I grew up in.

A very close second was a copy of the 1979 edition BSHB that one of my Eagles gave me. He knew my original copy  was no more and got me one,

Another idea is a Norman Rockwell print. One of my Eagles got me "The Den Chief" since it is closest to our relationship.

Some of the things I've seen include gift certificates to diners, coolers, coffee mugs, and a camp chair. Someone on Scouter.com received a Campaign hat from his den or pack.

• Thanks 1

Group photo, signed by all the Scouts, and adults possible, nicely framed.  My wife has one from her days as CSDC Director. 

When Scoutson joined the Troop I had Scouted in (50 years previously !) , I often sat in the rear of the room with the other parents.  The Scoutmaster at the time was perhaps the fourth or so SM since my time.  I noticed, during one opening flag ceremony, that the flags seemed overly saggy.  After the meeting, I inspected them more closely and discovered (!!) that the American Flag had 48 (!) stars, and the Troop flag seemed to be a woolen fabric (!). They were the SAME flags from MY period !

I mentioned this to the SM and CCh, and they marveled at it.   When the CCh retired that year, (he had been CCh for about twelve years at that point), he was presented with the old Troop flag, several members signed it, me among them, a new nylon one being procured.... The American flag was replaced with a 50 star one, and the 48 star one joined the Troops "historic flag" set (13 star, 15 star, 34 star, 48 star, 50 star). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone else experienced difficulty in getting a knot for a position they held?  It took my 3 years to finally get a Den Leader knot.  This only happened because I took it upon myself to prep all the forms (not just my own, but my fellow Den & Pack leaders going back two years), get the signatures and submitted to the District training chair.  The Council sat on them forever & some of those never came.  

I see those old Scouters with a chest full of knots and wonder how that happened.  Were they better about awarding and processing these things in the old days?

31 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Maybe I’m mistaken, but I don’t believe a district signature was always required. At any rate, I know for a fact that my local scout shop will sell you one no questions asked. 

I walked into my scoutshop and picked up my den leader knot right after turning in the form. Then after months of the district person complaining about the exact signatures on the form, the district finally issued me a certificate and knot. The lesson I learned was that the paperwork was too much work to bother trying to do correctly.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, dilrod said:

Has anyone else experienced difficulty in getting a knot for a position they held?  It took my 3 years to finally get a Den Leader knot.  This only happened because I took it upon myself to prep all the forms (not just my own, but my fellow Den & Pack leaders going back two years), get the signatures and submitted to the District training chair.  The Council sat on them forever & some of those never came.  

I see those old Scouters with a chest full of knots and wonder how that happened.  Were they better about awarding and processing these things in the old days?

in our district, all "smaller" knots are handled by the units.  Den leader, scouters training, etc.

District award of merit and bigger ones are done at the District and Council level