Per WSJ -BSA may declare bankruptcy

The Boy Scouts of America, or BSA, announced in 2016 that it was closing its museum next to the national office in Irving, Texas, and moving it to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. The BSA decided not to move its fine arts collection to the National Scouting Museum at Philmont because that facility was not equipped with the security, climate controls and other necessities for fine art preservation.

The collection includes about 350 pieces, nearly all of which are Boy Scout-related, but the main attraction is the 66 works by Rockwell, the renowned artist and illustrator. The BSA was one of Rockwell’s first employers, hiring him to create pen and ink drawing for its “Hike Book” in 1912. He produced scout images for Boys Life and the Saturday Evening Post as well as paintings used for the Boy Scout calendars issued by Brown and Bigelow.

The BSA owns the largest collection of Rockwell works outside of the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Mass.

This article is much clear about what is going on, regarding exhibit, appraisal, and possible sale. Sorry for confusion.

http://www.tribtoday.com/news/local-news/2019/01/130m-art-at-risk/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A scout is courteous 

The Boy Scouts of America national organization is not the Scouting Movement, nor are the local councils. The Scouting Movement is made up of the youth and their volunteer leaders out there in the sch

There are a lot of people who are politically left/liberal on this very forum and none of us want to see the BSA in bankruptcy or any other bad financial situation. You unfairly characterize this

15 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

The Boy Scouts of America, or BSA, announced in 2016 that it was closing its museum next to the national office in Irving, Texas, and moving it to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. The BSA decided not to move its fine arts collection to the National Scouting Museum at Philmont because that facility was not equipped with the security, climate controls and other necessities for fine art preservation.

The collection includes about 350 pieces, nearly all of which are Boy Scout-related, but the main attraction is the 66 works by Rockwell, the renowned artist and illustrator. The BSA was one of Rockwell’s first employers, hiring him to create pen and ink drawing for its “Hike Book” in 1912. He produced scout images for Boys Life and the Saturday Evening Post as well as paintings used for the Boy Scout calendars issued by Brown and Bigelow.

The BSA owns the largest collection of Rockwell works outside of the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Mass.

This article is much clear about what is going on, regarding exhibit, appraisal, and possible sale. Sorry for confusion.

http://www.tribtoday.com/news/local-news/2019/01/130m-art-at-risk/

RS, thanks!  Any confusion is strictly my own (old age, laziness, poor reading comprehension, lack of coffee) :) 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

RS, thanks!  Any confusion is strictly my own (old age, laziness, poor reading comprehension, lack of coffee) :) 

On me. I knew about this so I did not proofread article, apparently the editor of that paper did not either.  

• Upvote 1

I have read and reread the article, and I do not see anything beyond a "loan" of the art.  That is a very common thing between museums, especially art.  What is the intent of this posting?  Can we maybe reconsider perpetuating misleading stories and poorly constructed articles that "may" intentionally have ulterior motives?  That is what this seems to me, but I may be missing something.

I suspect this is the canary in the coal mine.  More and more organizations will refuse business with the BSA due to the bankruptcy threat hanging over the BSA and the potential taint of being associated with the BSA when the inevitable ”BSA Avoiding Payment to Abuse Survivors" start running.