Per WSJ -BSA may declare bankruptcy

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

@shortridge  Note that the author was referencing two sources.  These sources are indicating membership didn’t surge.  I agree that the 70,000+ growth was healthy and a good start, but I’m not sure what National was expecting or hoping for.  

As someone who used to work with National's membership numbers, rarely is what National publishes accurate to anything that makes sense. I do have a close friend in a Texas council who says their cub numbers are up this fall. I trust him, so the girls are some impact. But I learned to never trust National. 

Also, most of the opinions on this forum are more often than not emotionally biased. The research for the data used in the article may have been more professional with more pragmatic results.

Barry

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A scout is courteous 

The Boy Scouts of America national organization is not the Scouting Movement, nor are the local councils. The Scouting Movement is made up of the youth and their volunteer leaders out there in the sch

There are a lot of people who are politically left/liberal on this very forum and none of us want to see the BSA in bankruptcy or any other bad financial situation. You unfairly characterize this

21 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

The research for the data used in the article may have been more professional with more pragmatic results.

What data, Barry? The only membership numbers cited were historical, drawn from National’s own reports.

27 minutes ago, shortridge said:

What data, Barry? The only membership numbers cited were historical, drawn from National’s own reports.

As I said, based on my experience, National's published membership numbers rarely made sense. And who knows how the data is being interpreted. A professional researching ALL the information might provide a more pragmatic result. I certainly would not put much value on opinions from this forum.

The heart of the truth will work it's way to the surface in a year or so. 

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
23 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

As I said, based on my experience, National's published membership numbers rarely made sense. And who knows how the data is being interpreted. A professional researching ALL the information might provide a more pragmatic result. I certainly would not put much value on opinions from this forum.

The heart of the truth will work it's way to the surface in a year or so. 

Barry

I'd be happy to try and provide some interpretation. 

Just now, carebear3895 said:

oh, I thought you meant interpretation as far as Nationals numbers go. 

That will be interesting also, but it's nice to understand everyones perspective.

Is you experience at the National level?

Barry

B.S.A official records used to say that I completed Scoutmaster Training (at least 21)years old) in 1910.  Now they say 1912. 

Imaginary units with imaginary members.

Imaginary advancement

B.S.A. records should be up for a Nebula Award.

• Upvote 1

So I was at Philmont last week and was talking to the camp director about this.

He said that they are the only HA base that is always in the green.  He said that even last year with the fires they were in the green.  Apparently part of the Philmont endowment included real estate properties that they get rent on to cover expenses.

He also told me that it is owned by a trust and insulated from BSA corporate. 

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

The BSA  may sell parts of its art collection, for example, 66 original works by Norman Rockwell which had been appraised at $130 million. 

http://www.tribtoday.com/news/local-news/2019/01/donor-questions-butler-boards-decision-on-boy-scouts-collection/

Update: as others noted above link is confusing. Link below is clearer. 

http://www.tribtoday.com/news/local-news/2019/01/130m-art-at-risk/

Edited by RememberSchiff
clarity
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, shortridge said:

Boy, that article is a incomprehensible piece of gobbledygook. I could barely follow along.

I'm relieved you said that.  I thought it was just me.  Tried to read it but gave up and skimmed it.  Seemed like a lot of in-house squabbling.

But to sell those paintings...painful to think about.  They depict what scouting is really all about.

Small town paper writing about a small town story, not that there's anything wrong with that,  but it has nothing to do with the potential bankruptcy or selling any paintings.  After some parsing it seems to say a museum that was going to try to put on an exhibition including the paintings is tabling that decision because of some uncertainty, and on of its main donors is mad about it.  There was some mention about fantasizing about acquiring the paintings way down the road.