Per WSJ -BSA may declare bankruptcy

Last year, I attended PASS-PSR, the four day crew advisor course at Philmont.  Outstanding training, plus a day backpacking and a night in the backcountry too.  Quite a value at $99.00.

Long story short, it struck me that the BSA has their best and brightest running Philmont.  As others have mentioned, it's the crown jewel.  I think it would be the last property to go.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A scout is courteous 

The Boy Scouts of America national organization is not the Scouting Movement, nor are the local councils. The Scouting Movement is made up of the youth and their volunteer leaders out there in the sch

There are a lot of people who are politically left/liberal on this very forum and none of us want to see the BSA in bankruptcy or any other bad financial situation. You unfairly characterize this

10 hours ago, JoeBob said:

... I've never whined about being treated unfairly; or chastised the moderators for allowing viewpoints differing from my own.  My beliefs are strong enough to withstand scrutiny, disagreement and criticism...

... grow a sense of humor; you're going to need it.

I'm good with differing viewpoints. But that's not what you're offering. You're mocking people of a specific political persuasion that you clearly dislike, plain and simple. What, the comment about the clinking wine coolers was supposed to be constructive commentary? Should I take that as a compliment?

I read it for exactly what you intended. You were mocking liberals and some imagined celebratory response to negative news about the BSA. It's mockery wrapped in a stereotype, but you just call it "humor" and a differing viewpoint.

I have a sense of humor. What I don't have is any more patience for the stereotypes and mockery I get for being a liberal. I sort of expect it where I live, in a town that has historically been largely Republican. Earlier this week in a conversation with a local resident I was told that liberals hate the military. He didn't know my political views, and did the, "well, not you, I know you don't hate the military," back-peddling when he found out. I expect it to some degree in my town, although I wish things were different. I guess I had higher expectations for fellow Scouters. Clearly, I'm wrong about that.

• Upvote 2
43 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

having Scouting from the Boy Scouts of America is a good thing for the youth of our country

The way I'm feeling with this latest news, I'd almost say, "Saving Scouting from [the grips of] the Boy Scouts of America is a good thing for the youth of our country."  Maybe one outcome of this situation could be a restructuring that would reduce the national organization to a property-holding shell, with policy guidelines developed instead by a conference of Councils, and each Council able to adapt based on local conditions.  That would give us plenty of room to experiment (Council by Council) and allow us to avoid sudden massive nationwide policy shifts.

37 minutes ago, TMSM said:

WIth all due respect I think it would be better if you 2 started another thread. Better yet PM each other, exchange phone numbers and have a personal chat, you'll  find you have some things in common. 

Yes, the back-and-forth needs to stop.

• Upvote 2

This has filled me with such a sense of sorrow. Scouts is such an iconic organization, but I do not feel that the organizational leadership has itself modeled the behaviors we try to instill in the boys and now girls at the unit level. I believe if the leadership had made decisions based more on how we expect our scouts to problem solve, prepare, plan ahead, and manage, this outcome would have been different.

• Upvote 1

The reactions I have seen from some council executives are "don't worry...be happy".   We are separate from National so this really problem doesn't  affect us much so keep giving us money.  Is this a bit naive?

The Catholic Dioceses are analogous to Councils.  They are the ones who victims are suing, not the Vatican (National).

• Upvote 1

The Boy Scouts of America is on the verge of bankruptcy because its insurance companies are balking at paying settlements to almost a dozen men who claim they were sexually abused as boys by a notorious scoutmaster, a spokeswoman confirmed Friday.

Since August, the venerable organization has been battling insurers INA, which is now part of Chubb, and National Surety, which is an Allianz company, and the Hartford Accident and Indemnity Co., court records show.

“We remain in disputes with some carriers and look forward to a resolution that benefits victims and helps them on their journey towards healing,” BSA spokeswoman Effie Delimarkos said in a statement to NBC News.

That statement was seconded by Christopher Hurley, the lawyer for 11 former scouts who accused disgraced scoutmaster Thomas Hacker of sexually abusing them — and sued the BSA for damages.

Hurley said that if the scouting organization does seek Chapter 11 protection it won’t be the fault of the victims. “We know how much coverage they have and we know their insurers are refusing to pay,” he told NBC News.

The insurance companies declined to comment on the ongoing legal battle.

More details at source:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/boy-scouts-america-pushed-brink-bankruptcy-battles-insurers-n948181

11 hours ago, desertrat77 said:

Last year, I attended PASS-PSR, the four day crew advisor course at Philmont.  Outstanding training, plus a day backpacking and a night in the backcountry too.  Quite a value at $99.00.

Long story short, it struck me that the BSA has their best and brightest running Philmont.  As others have mentioned, it's the crown jewel.  I think it would be the last property to go.

I think it'd be hard to sell too. It's in the middle of nowhere. People only come their because it's Philmont. People only work there for low pay because it's Philmont. Remove the property from being a BSA property, and it loses much of it's value. 

The only thing it would be sold for is resource extraction, and that'd be a darn shame. 

Edited by Sentinel947
7 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

I think it'd be hard to sell too. It's in the middle of nowhere. People only come their because it's Philmont. People only work there for low pay because it's Philmont. Remove the property from being a BSA property, and it loses much of it's value. 

The only thing it would be sold for is resource extraction, and that'd be a darn shame. 

I hope Philmont would be safe given your comments.  But what about Sea Base?  I was really hoping to go there with my son in a few years.... but I could imagine that is prime real estate.  Hope that they can hold onto it.  

So, who are the insurance companies that happily billed and collected premiums and are now refusing to pay?  It is quite a kick to the gut for the BSA to institute all these reforms since the 70's and 80's to provide a safer program that we enjoy today and be ripped off by the insurance companies when it come time to compensate victims for the heinous acts of others.

2 hours ago, TuckahoeJoe said:

So, who are the insurance companies that happily billed and collected premiums and are now refusing to pay?  It is quite a kick to the gut for the BSA to institute all these reforms since the 70's and 80's to provide a safer program that we enjoy today and be ripped off by the insurance companies when it come time to compensate victims for the heinous acts of others.

Likely the same, or connected ones that balk at paying disaster claims after fires and floods, or that control much of our medical insurance, making it so expensive.  And that will only change if the mulish government so called leaders start doing their jobs as our representatives and not at the bidding of big money insurers and those with whom they interconnect.  Yes, I am a bit cynical regarding these entities, having been burned myself within our condo associatiion.