Post Project Review + Pre EBOR tomorrow!

Incorrect signatures are sometimes an issue.  On the report more photos is better than less, especially those that show what you were doing and what the end product or outcome may have been.  Easier for the BOR group to visualize the accomplishment

Remember that it is NOT a job interview, it is a review.  This should be a conversation about your journey through Scouting, what you have gained, what you have given back, and (hopefully) how you may be of service to Scouting going forward.  

• 1 month later...

It took almost two months for your District/Council to review your Eagle binder prior to scheduling the Board???  Very sad what we still put Scouts through to get to Eagle. 

And if this was simply the Eagle Project Workbook, they don't approve it after you've completed the project.  There is no spot for their signature except for approving the project proposal.   

40 minutes ago, reeddma said:

It took almost two months for your District/Council to review your Eagle binder prior to scheduling the Board???  Very sad what we still put Scouts through to get to Eagle. 

And if this was simply the Eagle Project Workbook, they don't approve it after you've completed the project.  There is no spot for their signature except for approving the project proposal.   

In the Eagle process there a 3 different times that the scout has to go for a review.

First.  For approval of the Eagle Project.

Second  Review of the Eagle Project

Third   Eagle Board of Review.

On every Eagle Board of Review that I have been a member off when have done the second and third one at the same time.  In some Councils their procedure could be that each of the 3 above is done at a separate time or it could have been in Brian's case that he had completed his project and the second review was held  then the third and final board was held later after he completed other requirements for Eagle..

Example.  One month into being a Life Scout Eagle Project is approved.  4 months as a Life Scout Eagle project is completed and presented for approval.  2 months later Eagle Board of Review.

59 minutes ago, reeddma said:

I’ve been a little busy since I got a part time job a few months ago. I do so many leadership events, volunteering, etc. to the point where even my parents couldn’t find time to drop it off at the council center which is 40 mins away from my house

My council makes you take it to their main building to have it scanned and get the final signature for the eagle application. 

She approved and scanned it in a day, it was slow on my part.

16 minutes ago, ValleyBoy said:

In the Eagle process there a 3 different times that the scout has to go for a review.

On every Eagle Board of Review that I have been a member off when have done the second and third one at the same time.  In some Councils their procedure could be that each of the 3 above is done at a separate time or it could have been in Brian's case that he had completed his project and the second review was held  then the third and final board was held later after he completed other requirements for Eagle..

Example.  One month into being a Life Scout Eagle Project is approved.  4 months as a Life Scout Eagle project is completed and presented for approval.  2 months later Eagle Board of Review.

Actually, the second phase is called “Post Project/Pre-EBOR” or something along those lines.

It is to make sure you have EVERYTHING (emphasized) before you can go to council and have your EBOR. It’s more of a preparing to make sure everything in order. I heard they may change it to where it could be done at a troop level. Not sure yet.

45 minutes ago, ValleyBoy said:

27 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

Actually, the second phase is called “Post Project/Pre-EBOR” or something along those lines.

It is to make sure you have EVERYTHING (emphasized) before you can go to council and have your EBOR. It’s more of a preparing to make sure everything in order. I heard they may change it to where it could be done at a troop level. Not sure yet.

To be clear, there is no Post Project / Pre-EBOR required of the District or Council

There is Unit and District approval of the project proposal.  There is no requirement that the district review be a board or that the approval be a meeting.  Just that there is a review by the district advancement team or their designee.  There is not a specific requirement for a Post Project / Pre-EBOR.  Only that the Scout, Beneficiary, and Unit Leader sign that the work was completed.

The Eagle application and project process is covered in detail in Section 9 in the Guide to Advancement.  All the ins and outs are covered, runs about 11 pages.

10 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

To be clear, there is no Post Project / Pre-EBOR required of the District or Council

There is Unit and District approval of the project proposal.  There is no requirement that the district review be a board or that the approval be a meeting.  Just that there is a review by the district advancement team or their designee.  There is not a specific requirement for a Post Project / Pre-EBOR.  Only that the Scout, Beneficiary, and Unit Leader sign that the work was completed.

The Eagle application and project process is covered in detail in Section 9 in the Guide to Advancement.  All the ins and outs are covered, runs about 11 pages.

Our district requires it. It’s to make sure you have all your paperwork in order before going to council get their signatures before EBOR. This could be done at a troop level and the district knows.

I should’ve clarified that my district did it in my previous post, my bad.

Edited by ItsBrian

Requiring that is adding to the requirements, and is not allowed. They can offer it as a service. In our District, once you have all your paperwork done, you submit everything to the District Advancement Chair. They double check that all the details are correct, then send an invitation to sit for the next scheduled EBoR session.

1 hour ago, AVTech said:

Requiring that is adding to the requirements, and is not allowed. They can offer it as a service. In our District, once you have all your paperwork done, you submit everything to the District Advancement Chair. They double check that all the details are correct, then send an invitation to sit for the next scheduled EBoR session.

It is funny how procedures that are couched in "protect the scout from failure" actually are to "spare some adults grief."

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

It is funny how procedures that are couched in "protect the scout from failure" actually are to "spare some adults grief."

Not arguing that point at all. But at the very least, the DAC asks for the paperwork to be dropped off, and doesn't schedule a pre-review review. Most Eagle candidates around here are old enough to drive, so it is on them, not mom and dad.

2 hours ago, qwazse said:

I'm not sure that is the case. Most of the added processes I've observed over the years came from perfectionist. Their interpretation of the process is actually more work or grief for them (as well as the scout), but that's ok because it's being done the right way. To them, the more complicated process is actually more efficient because it tracks all the dotting of the "I"s and crossing of all the "T"s. It's really what National meant to say.

Barry

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

I didn’t mind it at all. It took only around 30 minutes in all. Since I somehow did lose my copy of the proposal, this was the time where it was easily corrected since they had a copy. 

If I did not have the second phase I would’ve been lost trying to figure out what I could do and it would’ve been stressful. Instead, I sat one on one with a scouter and he walked me step by step on what I had to do. It ranged from putting the papers in the correct order to a little piece I forgot to include.

This was not a waste of my time or an in convenience at all.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:31 PM, ItsBrian said:

Update: Council approved my workbook and it is now time to schedule my EBOR.

Again, thanks to everyone who gave me advice on here.

Council or District does not approve project after it's done. Only troop and beneficiary. No space for Council signature except on the proposal.