Out of control scout master

The scout master for our pack called me and started yelling and screaming over the phone eventually threatening me, (im a bear den leader)  then his wife got on the phone (she's the treasurer) and proceeded to tell me to f off. Is this not considered bullying? Should these two not be removed?  If so, how do i do it?

Edited by Todd5
  • Sad 1

Welcome to the forums. 

First, I hope you are trained. 🙂. If not, training always helps understand things. 

There are three people who need to know about this:

- First is the Committee Chair.  He or she is the chief admin officer of the Pack, just as the Cubmaster is the operating officer responsible for program.

- Second is the Chartered Organization Representative. He or she represents the interests of First Church of Anytown, the actual licensee of Scouting (the charter) for Pack 123. 

- Last is the Executive Officer of the Chartered Partner. Normally, most Scouting decisions stop at the COR, but now and then the decisions reach up to the Executive. 

As far as what happened, I presume you did nothing to provoke this matter.  If that’s true, then go have a quiet cup of coffee, first with the chair, then working your way up .  If something you said or did was a provocation, then take a moment to reflect on the matter.  We are all volunteers, and mutual respect is essential .

I wish you well  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

So ...

First of all, I assume you mean the Cubmaster, correct? If you are a Bear Den Leader, then I assume you are dealing with Pack leadership (Scoutmasters work with Troops).

Secondly, if you're going to seek advice from strangers on the internet, it would help if you gave more information about the situation so that we can have some idea of what, exactly, is going on. Why were the leaders so upset? How did this all start? If they were to post here, what do you think they would say about the incident? There are always two sides to every story, and the more we know about what happened, the better we can help you. This is all information that you need to consider if you are to effect any meaningful change.

Certainly, it is never appropriate for a Scout leader to verbally attack another person, let alone to gang up on that person with his/her spouse. And yes, "yelling and screaming" at somebody would be considered bullying. But why were they doing this? I assume that in their minds, right or wrong, there was some justification for their behavior. If you are going to attempt to "remove" them, you need to be prepared to confront their arguments and their perceptions of what transpired, and the fact that they will almost certainly defend their actions to the powers that be. Whether or not they ought to be removed ultimately depends on what actually happened, which is a very large part of this story that we here don't know, and about which we are in no position to opine with the little information given.

In any case, the first person to talk to would be your Cub Committee Chair and your Chartered Organization Representative. Your unit belongs to the CO, so you need to speak with them before anybody else, explaining the incident AND any pertinent events that led up to it. I STRONGLY suggest doing this in person; e-mails and texts are so easily misunderstood that you will only be inviting further miscommunication if you contact them in this manner. Arrange a time to meet with them, and see where your discussion takes you. Should you find that they are unable to help in a satisfactory manner, you should then contact either your unit commissioner or, if you don't have one, your district commissioner. In all cases, be calm, polite, and clear about what happened, providing as many details as you can, with documentation of relevant incidents if necessary. Your goal should be resolution, not retaliation.

Hopefully, you get the situation resolved in a positive, civil manner that will allow you and your fellow leaders to resolve your differences amicably. And above everything, don't let your situation affect the Scouts in your program. No child should ever suffer because of adult disagreements.

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 1

What were they "yelling and screaming" at you about? If it was because you said that The Princess Bride is a bad movie, then they were entirely justified in yelling at you. That film is a cinematic treasure. 

However if it was something to do with Cub Scouts, as I suspect it likely was, then they maybe should have had more tact in dealing with whatever issue they had with you. It would be helpful to know what they were so upset about, certainly as it relates to determining whether or not they are suited to continued leadership in your Pack.

I concur with the previous comments.

1) Reflect on what might have triggered such a response. Over the phone and not in person?  Interesting.... 

2) Reflect on the Scout Promise and Law.  Those are  upon which   Scout Leaders should base their behavior .

3)  Speak (as recommended) in person with the Committee Chair and the Charter Organization Representative.  Your sponsoring Charter  Organization ( the church or school or club that sponsors your Cub Pack) is supposed to be represented by the COR to the Scout world.  Many CORs are merely "signers" on the paperwork, but you have a right to require their participation here.  The Committee Chair , with the Committee,  helps decide the activities of the Pack that  the Cubmaster leads.   The CCh needs to hear of this event post haste.  Next in the line of responsibility for the Cub Pack is the Institution Head, or as mentioned above, the Executive Officer. This might be the club president, or the church Head Pastor, or the Fire Department Chief, who ever heads the Charter Organization. They will want to hear of your travail. 

4)  Bullying?   I would consider it so. Certainly not the action of a "reasonable" adult Scout Leader.  Reflect on how these folks act toward your Cubs. Is there another problem ?

5)  Go on line and find the District Leadership.  You may know your Unit Commissioner, or not, but you can find the name and contact your District Commissioner, who would be the next resource to contact about this event.  

6) Keep notes.  Write down when and what was said by whom.  Such notes may come in handy later.  

7)  Try to remember, "it's for the kids".  

"A Scout is Trustworthy"  , I accept what you say here as what you see as truth.  

I am suggesting that until we see more from  Todd5, we do the same for him/her.  

Meantime, very often assumptions are best left to real estate deals 😊