Why do we gather as Scouts: Camporees, Summer Camps and Jamborees

Scouters - 

I would like your thoughts on why we gather as Scouts and Scouters at Camp, Camporees and Jamborees. 

Is it the camaraderie between the youth? Is it a way to get out of the house, away from work? Is it to rub shoulders with like-minded adults?  A few years ago I was at a Scout Camp with another leader and he said, "...can you feel it? It's invigorating and contagious." I asked him what he was talking about. He went on to explain about the "energy of youth".  So, for you - is it the energy of youth?

Why do we do what we do and why do we want to congregate?  What is it about learning and sharing that would make us come back year after year?  For you is it the pine trees and fresh air? Is it the beach or the desert? Is it community and belonging? 

Is it preparation through privation for our youth? Are we preparing them for something later? If so, what is it that moves you in your preparation? Is it life prep, or social experience? 

I'd love to gather your thoughts on why we gather at camporees, scout camps and jamborees. 

Thanks in advance for your brief or long answers.  I prefer long answers so I can understand what you think. 

IBleedGreen - in AZ

• Like 1

@IBleedGreen welcome to scouter.com, perhaps you can introduce yourself and tell why you gather. 

As for myself, I enjoy the outdoors and showing scouts why.  It is hard for me to imagine being with one without the other. 

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • 2 months later...

As a Scout I was drawn towards adventure and stayed for the community Service. The OA was a large part of what kept me in Scouts as an older kid. The Camaraderie that the Scouts had and the Leaders had along with the relationship with the community.  

As an Adult I want my Children to have access to that experience. I enjoy being a part of an organization that builds up the community and are role models for others to emulate.  

• Like 1

It is the unique nature of the outdoor program.  Seeing Scouts grow and mature as they play and have fun in that environment.  Then when they are 16 - 17 and realize the method to the madness, and that they have experienced what not many of their friends may have been involved in.

I was raised in a basically suburban area, but we had acreage and with neighbors there was 60 - 90 acres i wandered with friends.  Scouting was an extension of that and the fun of going off for the weekend and longer term camps.  My goal is to get these guys out and about.

Working with the unit seeing the Scouts go from unsure crossover Scouts to tentatively taking leadership roles, to taking full leadership roles is the why.  Speaking with parents who can see the benefits and what their boys get from the program.  While the advancement is part of it, it is the experiences and learning to work in a group of peers.  My son relates that when he was a smart alecky 11 year old having an older scout tell him to stop being such a PITA was huge, as he was being one, it had an impact.  Then when he became a leader of the new Scout program realizing that he was not the best participant when he was a new scout, and needed to apologize to his new scout PL

The final reward can come when sitting on an EBOR or during an ECOH and hearing the Scouts talk about what was significant and how it affected and shaped them.  The Scouting program is not a one and done "season".  It is growth as the scouts move from elementary, to middle school, to high school.  They learn to be self sufficient, to be responsible, and to own their actions.

That's why I drive 4K plus miles annually and camp 30 plus nights each year.  Plus 11 year old's setting up a patrol tarp and cooking is better than any Comedy Channel special.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure I really understand the question, but thinking about camporee/jamborees...

I think one reason is that we are all in a program we enjoy, so it is natural to get together with other members and interact, share experiences, and develop relationships within the program.

I think also it expands the program. Boys looking for more leadership can work to put together these events. Camporee Committee member is a leadership position in our troop. 

Camporee's often involve competitions--opportunities to show off skills and patrol pride. Jamborees often involve activities that are not available at the local level

Marketing--we often have Webelos come to our camporee, partly to show off cool scouting activities. It is also the opportunity to bring parents together for training and/or service.

I think there is a natural feeling among humans to belong to something bigger than ourselves. That feeling is at its strongest in our teenage years which is why scouts and other uniformed youth organisations are so successful.

Jamborees take that instinct to the ultimate degree.

People want to belong, teenagers even more so. Jamborees let them do that.