Just curious, I'm on the fence with this one.  Can a scout who used his Den Chief position of leadership to achieve the rank of Star use it again when trying to achieve Life rank?  I understand that its a year long position, but can you use the same leadership position twice to rank up?  I've always thought of it like service hours.  If you use service hours of X, Y, and Z to obtain a rank, then they are used and can't be used again.  Any help or advise would be great.  Thanks!

Dan 

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, a position of responsibility for one rank has to start after the completion of the previous rank. So, if after 4 months as being Den Chief a scout becomes Star and keeps on as Den Chief for another 6 months, then yes, it does count. If, however, the First Class scout does a year as Den Chief, waits some more, and then becomes Star, he would need to do 6 more months in a POR.

Yes, he can.  4 months as a Den Chief while 1st Class are used for the Star rank requirement, and 6 months as a den chief while Star meet the Life rank requirement.

What you can't do is count POR time while 1st Class for any rank other than Star.  So, you can't be 1st Class and a Den Chief for a year, then try to use that for both Star and Life.

If he served as den chief for four months while First Class, earned Star, and served as den chief for six months while a Star scout, it can be used as his PoR for Life rank.

In general, at this level, we want boys serving in some PoR continuously (only taking a break if sports or other activities are too demanding) so that they can be building skills while contributing to the life of the troop.

Absolutely, as he continues as a DC, one would hope he gains experience and skill.   Same Cubs? As they move up, he moves with them?  What better recruiting example.  

AND...  encourage him to serve as a "Visual Aid" 😉 for the DC training in your area.... 

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I think the question has been answered adequately already.  My observation over time has been that the Den Chief position is very valuable. Every Scout that I have known who has taken up that responsibility has found it rewarding and fun.  It creates a very strong bond and bridge between the Pack and Troop.  I have seen several times an entire Den complete Cubs/Webelos and cross over to the Troop and be very successful in the Troop because of the influence of a good Den Chief.   
I may be over-stating my case a bit, but I really feel that the Den Chief is as important to Pack as the the adults.

• Upvote 1