I am stepping down at the end of the year after a long tenure as Scoutmaster. I have been SM longer than all my scouts have been alive, and some of their parents too!   I plan to stay active with the troop in any way that I can, but it will be a difficult transition for me.  I don't want to impede the new regime, but still want to help out.  Any advice from anyone who has been thru this situation or had their troop go thru it?  Thanks for your help!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

What Eagle Dad said.  But make it a couple of years.

Every time I visited, looked in on my son, or showed up to speak at an EBOR; the boys or fathers would sidle up to me and say "We miss you."  Okay.  Too soon to be back here,

Our prior SM took a year off from the troop.  He came back and helped with summer camp and the new scout program.  But for the first year, he stayed away from the troop.  I know of another Scoutmaster in a similar scenario who came back and coached scouts on organizing Eagle Courts of Honor.  

Me - I'd encourage becoming a Commissioner or joining the district camping committee.  Our districts need more experienced Scouters to help coach units or to make our district programs stronger.

Edited by ParkMan
Clarified statement
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Our SMs (and the one Crew advisor :) ) rotate into ASMs. They are awesome to have around. There is no "new regime". We all know how it feels to be "the guy" and we pitch in accordingly.

Check in with your District.   Your experience would be very welcomed in several areas, I am sure. Some Ideas:

** Eagle Coordinator. EBoR organizer and fact checker. Very appreciated fellow. 

** Training.   IOLS,  NYLT,  BALOO...   many possibilities for your years of Being There, and Doing It....

**  Commissioner.  Different types,  as a Commisher, you can do almost anything you think needs to be done.

** Program Committee.   These folks organize the Camporees and Webelos Weekends and such.  You could even invent something new, like one of my new Scouter friends. He developed a "Scouteree" as a recruiting event. Invite the public, let'm tie knots, climb walls, fold flags, etc.  

**   First Assistant Everything Else....   You name it, they will probably let you do it...

See you on the trail ? 

• Upvote 4

I stepped out of uniform about two years ago after twenty six years as Troop Scouter and Group Scouter. I am now badge examiner and I give training for the amateur radio exam. I managed two generations, Scouts whose fathers were my Scouts and I have many fantastic Scouting memories. My father was my Scout master and my mother later became Akela so the family heritage was there.

16 hours ago, SSScout said:

Check in with your District.   Your experience would be very welcomed in several areas, I am sure. Some Ideas:

** Eagle Coordinator. EBoR organizer and fact checker. Very appreciated fellow. 

** Training.   IOLS,  NYLT,  BALOO...   many possibilities for your years of Being There, and Doing It....

**  Commissioner.  Different types,  as a Commisher, you can do almost anything you think needs to be done.

** Program Committee.   These folks organize the Camporees and Webelos Weekends and such.  You could even invent something new, like one of my new Scouter friends. He developed a "Scouteree" as a recruiting event. Invite the public, let'm tie knots, climb walls, fold flags, etc.  

**   First Assistant Everything Else....   You name it, they will probably let you do it...

See you on the trail ? 

Great list!

I think of it as "community scouting".  These are all hands on jobs that let you work with Scouts & other Scouters.  Most of them result in direct, hands on impact for Scouts.  Sure, you're not impacting 30-60 scouts in your troop, but you are impacting hundreds of Scouts in your community.  Very cool.