John-in-KC

As we approach 1 Feb 19...

Sad  but true.  there was a scout who I thought would be a wonderful asset to the Order, best camper and leader in the troop.  He got  elected, went thru his ordeal, and refused to have anything else to do with OA.  When asked why his reply saddened me greatly.  " I was the only one who worked all day, the only one who kept my mouth shut. Everyone else was joking and goofing off. Even the members didn't care. If a big joke is all the OA is, I have better things to do with my time."

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

When the 63 ADULTS (emphasis) on the national OA committee would not listen to the overwhelming majority of it youth members voices, and stated no more Native American regalia for Arrow of Light and Cross Over Ceremonies, the soul of the OA was greatly diminished. And I predict that soon, the OA 's soul will be completely dead as the ceremonies will be changed to remove any Native American influence.

These 63 adults are essentially allowing, encouraging, the campfire to die....

17 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

I concur with you and Eagle94...it used to be a tough cut and it used to be that some deserving scouts were not elected each year because of ratios/rules etc.  But they were worth their salt, and kept striving for another year and were eventually elected.

What shocks me are the reports of scouts who decline the nomination after election.   Many of these scouts would have excelled in the old OA.  I suspect they just weren't impressed with the OA as it is today, and had better things to do with their time.  Quite a contrast to the past.

I was one of those Scouts who got elected on the third go around. First year I was eligible, I didn't even vote for myself because the three others eligible were much better choices AND I COULD ONLY PICK TWO (emphasis).

I am saddened that my Oldest, who has been eligible for 3 years now has declined to put his name on the ballot because he has no interest in the OA now. This from the kid who helped me build the chapter's drum stand before he was a Cub.  And my middle son, who became eligible this year, also declined to put his name on the ballot.

3 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

Sad  but true.  there was a scout who I thought would be a wonderful asset to the Order, best camper and leader in the troop.  He got  elected, went thru his ordeal, and refused to have anything else to do with OA.  When asked why his reply saddened me greatly.  " I was the only one who worked all day, the only one who kept my mouth shut. Everyone else was joking and goofing off. Even the members didn't care. If a big joke is all the OA is, I have better things to do with my time."

Some Arrowmen do care, and are disgusted at some of the things allowed. But I was told National has PROHIBITED lodges from ejecting anyone from the Ordeals. Notching arrows and/or ejecting folks is considered hazing, and not allowed. Once a person is a candidate, only the candidate can remove themselves from the Ordeal, not the lodge.

We had an incident where an adult candidate was talking up a storm, complaining about all the work that he was being forced to do. I was all for sending him home when the lodge adviser told me that is no longer an option because national considers it "hazing." All we could do was separate him from the rest of the candidates so his negativity would not affect them. Irony was one of the "Friends" working with the candidates was on medical restrictions, and was pushing the envelope to set a good example.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I was one of those Scouts who got elected on the third go around. First year I was eligible, I didn't even vote for myself because the three others eligible were much better choices AND I COULD ONLY PICK TWO (emphasis).

I am saddened that my Oldest, who has been eligible for 3 years now has declined to put his name on the ballot because he has no interest in the OA now. This from the kid who helped me build the chapter's drum stand before he was a Cub.  And my middle son, who became eligible this year, also declined to put his name on the ballot.

Some Arrowmen do care, and are disgusted at some of the things allowed. But I was told National has PROHIBITED lodges from ejecting anyone from the Ordeals. Notching arrows and/or ejecting folks is considered hazing, and not allowed. Once a person is a candidate, only the candidate can remove themselves from the Ordeal, not the lodge.

We had an incident where an adult candidate was talking up a storm, complaining about all the work that he was being forced to do. I was all for sending him home when the lodge adviser told me that is no longer an option because national considers it "hazing." All we could do was separate him from the rest of the candidates so his negativity would not affect them. Irony was one of the "Friends" working with the candidates was on medical restrictions, and was pushing the envelope to set a good example.

Wow  just wow.  In a case like this I would " haze" him in a heartbeat.    Or perhaps separate him by a few miles,  and "forget" to pick him back up until after the ceremony was over.