As we approach 1 Feb 19...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While there is more to the OA than ceremonies and camp maintenance, these two  items are the heart and soul of the OA. The original purpose was to recognize HONOR CAMPERS (emphasis) and not be ju

Parkman, good question.  Camping was the very thing that made the OA special.  It used to be called the "National Brotherhood of Honor Campers."  Only the best scouts who excelled in the outdoors were

You folks all hit some good marks, and my observations from the past 5 years being back in Scouting with my son generally fall in line with your perceptions. I also began to really talk to “older scou

I've been posing the question to scouts during their BORs. "What would you like to do?" Hoping I could help facilitate the PLC to plan some sort of activity other than basic camping. Our older scouts don't care about anything. Younger scouts tend to want to do fishing. That's about it. Bums me out because I don't care for fishing, but I love hiking and canoeing. 

I have experience in two troops.  My current troop doesn't do anything other than car camping that I've seen so far. They have a history of going out and hiking along the Ouachita Trail for a stretch of a few days. Because the current troop doesn't do much beyond car camping, I've also been bringing up the Council's high adventure treks that are offered in the spring and fall seasons, along with the other items they might be interested in. No one ever bites though. 

The other troop alternated every two years with a week long high adventure trek. Mountain hiking/camping one summer, two years later a canoe trip, two more years and back to the mountains. All adult organized (which is another irritation I have), but at least they got the scouts OUT a few times. If the scout lasted their average seven years before ageing out, they had the opportunity to do one of each at least. Typically first years scouts were not allowed to go, in lieu of summer camp instead. 

13 hours ago, Buggie said:

I've been posing the question to scouts during their BORs. "What would you like to do?" Hoping I could help facilitate the PLC to plan some sort of activity other than basic camping. Our older scouts don't care about anything. Younger scouts tend to want to do fishing. That's about it. Bums me out because I don't care for fishing, but I love hiking and canoeing. 

I have experience in two troops.  My current troop doesn't do anything other than car camping that I've seen so far. They have a history of going out and hiking along the Ouachita Trail for a stretch of a few days. Because the current troop doesn't do much beyond car camping, I've also been bringing up the Council's high adventure treks that are offered in the spring and fall seasons, along with the other items they might be interested in. No one ever bites though. 

The other troop alternated every two years with a week long high adventure trek. Mountain hiking/camping one summer, two years later a canoe trip, two more years and back to the mountains. All adult organized (which is another irritation I have), but at least they got the scouts OUT a few times. If the scout lasted their average seven years before ageing out, they had the opportunity to do one of each at least. Typically first years scouts were not allowed to go, in lieu of summer camp instead. 

Makes me wonder...  Where does a Scoutmaster need to jump in inject some bigger thinking?  

At some point don't you have to jump in and get them out of their rut?

8 hours ago, ParkMan said:

Makes me wonder...  Where does a Scoutmaster need to jump in inject some bigger thinking?  

At some point don't you have to jump in and get them out of their rut?

Agreed. But that is another classic battle of "we can't count on the scouts so we'll decide what to do". I'm trying to push from several directions to get folks moving in things. My aspiration is getting more fun for the scouts while outdoors and moving us all to the program. Trying to spark stuff in both directions.

I've recently been more hopeful now that we've picked up an ASM who is very program minded. He has a bit more traction so I am hopeful. I don't know how he is on more activity yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit, the call out ceremonies are so lame.   The one I attended last summer at scout camp made me realize, that if I were a first year scout who knew nothing about the OA, I would have left the ceremony, still knowing nothing about the OA.