5 hours ago, Eagledad said:

Setting the example of the Oath and Law in actions is a lot hard than most scouters people from the start of time realize.

Humility always bites me in the butt when least expected.

A long time ago I read a book about some famous Buddhist and he talked about beginner's mind, where one is both unsure and willing to jump in and try. This was in contrast to those that had been around for a long time and knew all the answers. It just seems to apply to this thread.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tell him the date and time of the next meeting. Assure that the items of concern have been forwarded to the appropriate parties and will be on the next docket under old or new business as appropriate.

In my limited experience, when I've had an adult leader outside our group be critical in a condescending manner, it's been a WB.  That does NOT mean all or even most WB are condescending.  They aren't

For the good of the order, atlatl is a prohibited activity.   You can reference Appendix 8 of the Shooting Sports manual.   Spears.   

Anyone actually read the Camporee Guide?  https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/outdoor program/pdf/430-001.pdf 

Especially this part:   A camporee starts with the recognition that a patrol is the basic camping unit. The patrol demonstrates its very best camping techniques and shares its experiences with other patrols. The camporee involves the type of equipment that can be carried in a pack by boys and can be set up entirely by boys, allowing them to be completely self-sufficient for a self-reliant experience over a period of two or three days.

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, RichardB said:

Anyone actually read the Camporee Guide?  https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/outdoor program/pdf/430-001.pdf ...

It's new to me, but I like its old-school feel.

.... The patrol demonstrates its very best camping techniques and shares its experiences with other patrols. ...

I now get why I was sent around to other patrols asking for a left-handed smoke-shifter. I saw a lot of different camp set-ups that day!

... The camporee involves the type of equipment that can be carried in a pack by boys and can be set up entirely by boys, allowing them to be completely self-sufficient for a self-reliant experience over a period of two or three days.

I could have really used that line with an SM who insisted on setting up the troop dining fly and chow table on the opposite end of the dam (trailers could go no further) when the SPL figured they'd just cook their pancakes and sausage in camp.

• Upvote 1

One of the reasons why I stepped down as camporee chief is because of the complaints BY THE ADULTS ( emphasis) on some of the events. #1 complaint I got before and during the wilderness survival themed camporee was the shelter building event. This was an event the Scouts wanted, and was done once at a council camporee long, long ago.I cannot tell you how many adults complained it was not feasible, it would take up too much time, there are not enough materials at camp for each patrol to do one, etc. With those complaints, and a bunch of other problems going on with the camporee, I said fine, one shelter per troop and part of the campsite inspection instead of a separate event. 

Then the Scouts complained that only a select few got to build shelters.

As for the Camporee Guide, that is a new one for me too.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Sablanck said:

We have archery, tomahawk and atl atl at our camporee.  Getting to shoot things and throw sharp blades at items probably keeps the youth happy.

After reviewing the guide we cover the list they have.

For the good of the order, atlatl is a prohibited activity.   You can reference Appendix 8 of the Shooting Sports manual.   Spears.   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
22 minutes ago, RichardB said:

Thanks

I will inform all of the folks on my planning committee.

1 hour ago, RichardB said:

Interesting appendix.  Our council summer camp has a Native American program,  Both Atl Atl and blowguns are used as a part of that program.

2 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

Interesting appendix.  Our council summer camp has a Native American program,  Both Atl Atl and blowguns are used as a part of that program.

5 hours ago, Sablanck said:

We have archery, tomahawk and atl atl at our camporee.  Getting to shoot things and throw sharp blades at items probably keeps the youth happy.

After reviewing the guide we cover the list they have.

We setup knife throwing as an event at a winter camporee, the district leaderships head(s) spun and they wanted to be sure we had the appropriate pages of the GTSS on-site and ready for review.  Honestly the GTSS is a but vague.  But, we blew them up to poster size just for fun.  

The patrols loved the event so in our mind, it was a success

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, RichardB said:

3 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

Just read that section and noticed spears and blowguns are prohibited because they supposedly serve no program purpose. I beg to differ. as MIkeS72 points out Indian Lore has uses for those items, and I have had folks build them in the past. And I have seen them as activities for the OA. Further both had applications for Wilderness Survival.

This is extremely silly.

2 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

MIkeS72 points out Indian Lore has uses for those items,

I wonder when the MB will be changed to Indigenous Peoples Lore, also that headress on the MB may be an issue

On 12/7/2018 at 3:02 PM, Jameson76 said:

I wonder when the MB will be changed to Indigenous Peoples Lore, also that headress on the MB may be an issue

I have been curious as to when OA will have to stop wearing all and any Native american clothing and use of artifacts real or implied.

So to recap we had a planning meeting that was extremely productive last week.  This morning an email was sent out by a WB person stating he has issues with some of the planning.  This person now wants to have a meeting to address those issues yet has not attended any of the previous 3 or 4 planning meetings.  Good times!!

1 hour ago, Sablanck said:

... This morning an email was sent out by a WB person stating he has issues with some of the planning.  This person now wants to have a meeting to address those issues yet has not attended any of the previous 3 or 4 planning meetings.  Good times!!

Tell him the date and time of the next meeting. Assure that the items of concern have been forwarded to the appropriate parties and will be on the next docket under old or new business as appropriate.

Enjoy the holidays.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, Sablanck said:

I have been curious as to when OA will have to stop wearing all and any Native american clothing and use of artifacts real or implied.

So to recap we had a planning meeting that was extremely productive last week.  This morning an email was sent out by a WB person stating he has issues with some of the planning.  This person now wants to have a meeting to address those issues yet has not attended any of the previous 3 or 4 planning meetings.  Good times!!

What not just give him a call and listen to his input?

I'm always happy to talk on the phone to someone for 15 minutes about something.  Who knows, maybe he's got some good insight.  Maybe he's interested in helping, but felt unwelcome because of his WB status.  You never know, a phone call might be the start of a really productive volunteer to your team.

Or again, maybe it's 15 minutes of your life wasted that you'll never get back.  Guess it's a roll of the dice.