Philmont 2020 slots

We have 2 slots for June 2020

For High Adventure 2019 we have

• 2 crews to Seabase in May and 1 crew in June (18 Scouts and 6 leaders) 
  • 1 crew to Philmont in June (6 Scouts and 3 leaders)
  • Also our regular week long camp in June and another in July

A busy summer

My son was planning to go on a 12-day Philmont trek  this past summer. But then came the wildfires. Philmont cancelled his trek (and lots of other troops too).  They guaranteed the troop a slot for 2020...but that seems so far off.  

For 2019, the troop has 2 crews to Seabase plus 1 crew to the Summit.

Our troop from California got a 12-day slot for July 2 to July 14, 2020. I think I'm more excited than the Scouts.

One thing, though. I have been frustrated with the lack of information or conflicting information available on their website and hope it gets better now that we have a slot and should be getting regular emails. One thing that was frustrating was a quote I pulled directly from their website that said scouts needed to be 17 years old or younger on the first day. We have a scout who will be 18, and since all the adult slots were filled, I told him he couldn't go. The scout's mother got upset and said that one of the adults should step down and make room for her son. That didn't go over very well. Then I came across some other information that said a scout 18 to 21 could register as either a youth or an adult, so I guess he is able to go now because we had one youth spot left.

Also from the website, I kept getting pages with links that didn't work.

Did you see how many slots are still available for 2019? Is this normal? https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/registersection/availableslots/

I'm not sure about Philmont, but Sea Base said that 18-21 year olds could count toward the majority youth requirement.

While you get occasional emails, they are about payments being due and sales at Tooth of Time Traders.

Contact them to be sure.

https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/about/contactus/

I'm surprised how many 7 day slots are still available. The last 2 might hit the beginning of school for many, but most (not all) could do the early August ones.

I wonder if some units might be worried about how much of the scout ranch was damaged by the Ute fire last summer. I'd heard that 26,000 acres of Philmont burned in the fire, but with 140,000 acres there, it seems like they should still be able to find lots of open space for treks to explore. Anybody heard whether the fires caused any lasting impacts to the areas used for their program ??

There will be some impact as the fire burned in the central country part of Philmont.  However, there is a lot of land to reroute treks, and some neighbors who have incredible land have given access rights, so crews can see some new sights.  The staff members I've talked to say the experience will be delivered, exactly as it always has been, with some learning about how fires regenerate ponderosa forests. 

• Upvote 2