Bear Grylls is new World Scout Ambassador

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

British Ex-Mil with good camera presence who made his name simulating survival situations for TV. His shows are fun to watch. He's been Scouts UK's Chief Scout for some time. And, yes, he gets a

Nov 16, 2018  Today, the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM) announced Bear as its new Chief Ambassador, making him the first public figure to be named for the role. Bear has been the

You've heard me say it many times; the best thing scouts can learn from adults is humility. Otherwise, I just soon the adults stay 100 yards away. But, the Scouting program reputation alone can c

On 2/26/2019 at 11:33 AM, walk in the woods said:

So he gets a pass for his poor behavior because he's famous?  Really?  Do we want to teach our scouts, "you have to be really trustworthy, at least until you get famous!"  

I am not giving him a pass. Simply pointing out the Bulgarians were foolish to let him film his show and expect him not to do what he always does. 

Organizations allow production companies to film because they get something in return, exposure, money, something.....The Bulgarians rolled the dice and lost. In fact they are almost certainly giving Grylls exactly what he wanted....publicity. 

And I wouldn't point to Grylls as a positive role model. He was "hired" to draw attention to Scouting, that is what celebrity does. It is up to us to teach the Scouts, not Grylls.

Just like a council that invited Charles Barkley (not a positive role model) to speak at a fundraising dinner. They raised a lot of money to help Scouts, but we don't point to Sir Charles as someone to pattern themselves after. Had Sir Charles done something at that fundraiser to embarrass Scouting then I would have been critical of the council that did it. He didn't embarrass Scouting that night. The Council rolled the dice and won. So a bunch of Scouts had a better program. 

Edited by HelpfulTracks
6 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

Just like a council that invited Charles Barkley (not a positive role model) to speak at a fundraising dinner. They raised a lot of money to help Scouts, but we don't point to Sir Charles as someone to pattern themselves after.

A knight of the realm not a good role model? Personally anointed by her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II? Blimey guv'nor you've got some high standards ain'tcha?

Ian

P.s. 😉 (just in case)

• Like 1

IMHO, part of Adult Association for scouts is learning to process  the imperfections and sometime contradictions that are adults. Adults make mistakes but hopefully they also fess up and make amends. Adults want me to do as they say but not as they do, the rules don't apply to them?  Adults accept some bad or some imperfections for the greater good. 

All confusing to process especially when you are young.

My $0.02,

P.S. A few years ago, our unit was camping in Acadia (Maine).  I thought it would be a hoot to have a local give our scouts some  lobster cooking tips.  The other adults present, which were way, way too many (lobster), were horrified.  What bring Martha Stewart here, She's a convicted felon!  

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMHO, part of Adult Association for scouts is learning to process  the imperfections and sometime contradictions that are adults. Adults make mistakes but hopefully they also fess up and make amends. Adults want me to do as they say but not as they do, the rules don't apply to them?  Adults accept some bad or some imperfections for the greater good. 

All confusing to process especially when you are young.

My $0.02,

P.S. A few years ago, our unit was camping in Acadia (Maine).  I thought it would be a hoot to have a local give our scouts some  lobster cooking tips.  The other adults present, which were way, way too many (lobster), were horrified.  What bring Martha Stewart here, She's a convicted felon!  

You've heard me say it many times; the best thing scouts can learn from adults is humility. Otherwise, I just soon the adults stay 100 yards away.

But, the Scouting program reputation alone can change an adult's attitude. Stopping at a New Mexico convenience store for gas and junk-food while on our way to Philmont, our scouts presence in the small store was almost overwhelming. I was a little nervous at first when a robust female truck driver called some of the scouts over to her. She, in her cigarette ting voice, apologized for wearing a sexually offensive t-shirt. This seasoned truck driver admitted to being very embarrassed in the presence of Boy Scouts.

Maybe there should be a "Scout" Association Method. At the very least, plus one for the Uniform Method. 

Barry

• Upvote 2

On our CSE, if you go on facebook and google Chief Scout Executive, you will find a video with about 25,000 views where he recently was challenged by a Scout to start fire with flint and steel.  Does a decent job.  Not jumping out of helicopters, but it is demonstrating Execs have some Scout skills- as they should if they are Eagle Scouts.

• Like 1

Good to hear. 

Back in the day, we similarly challenged our SM and WW2 veteran to start a fire with flint and steel. He pulled out his Zippo lighter. Conditions met, challenge answered. 

:)

Edited by RememberSchiff

Eagledad,

Not sure if you are in Arlington VA or Texas, and if you are in Texas, you might be in the Longhorn Council- don't know about them, but I can attest that the Circle Ten Scout Executive in Dallas can tie a fast one handed bowline and could probably take on any Scout skill challenge!  I've found many of them are Scouts first and professionals second.

• 1 month later...

My younger son and I binged watch his new series You vs Wild. Definitely entertainingly hokey. After a couple of episodes, we both got devilish and selected the dumb decisions like running from a wolf  which looked more like a dog.  :)