Bear Grylls is new World Scout Ambassador

Nov 16, 2018 

Today, the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM) announced Bear as its new Chief Ambassador, making him the first public figure to be named for the role. Bear has been the youngest ever Chief Scout in the United Kingdom for nearly a decade, leading the way during a period of sustained growth. In his new role as Chief Ambassador, Bear will continue that effort on the world stage by acting as a global voice for youth education and inspiring Scouts to create positive change in their communities.

“I’m very proud and humbled to take on this new role as Chief Ambassador of World Scouting and continue to promote the great work Scouting is doing across the globe. Scouting is a worldwide force for good that unites young people with positive values and an adventurous spirit,” says Bear. “We aim to make a difference in our communities, help young people learn new skills, and be kind to all people.”

As one of his first acts as Chief Ambassador, Bear was on hand for an event at the United Nations headquarters today to launch Scouts for SDGs – a mobilisation of 50 million Scouts to make the world’s largest coordinated youth contribution to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). “Never before have so many Scouts come together around an engagement of this scale and I’m excited to launch this global activation of young people to contribute to the SDGs,” added Bear. 

More at source link:

https://www.scout.org/node/511831

Congratulations to Bear!

• Like 3
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

British Ex-Mil with good camera presence who made his name simulating survival situations for TV. His shows are fun to watch. He's been Scouts UK's Chief Scout for some time. And, yes, he gets a

Nov 16, 2018  Today, the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM) announced Bear as its new Chief Ambassador, making him the first public figure to be named for the role. Bear has been the

You've heard me say it many times; the best thing scouts can learn from adults is humility. Otherwise, I just soon the adults stay 100 yards away. But, the Scouting program reputation alone can c

Color me unimpressed. If WOSM insists on having a fraud as Chief Ambassador, couldn't they pick this guy instead?

Kenneth-Branagh-as-Gilder-008.jpg

I've known too many suggestible boys that have failed to realize that Man vs. Wild isn't a survival how-to, it's Jack A—: Wilderness Edition.

Edited by Saltface
45 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Color me unimpressed. If WOSM insists on having a fraud as Chief Ambassador, couldn't they pick this guy instead?

Kenneth-Branagh-as-Gilder-008.jpg

I've known too many suggestible boys that have failed to realize that Man vs. Wild isn't a survival how-to, it's Jack A—: Wilderness Edition.

That all depends; are we talking Kenneth Branaugh, or Gilderoy Lockhart.  

No to Branaugh, big thumbs up for Lockhart.  Just imagine (pun intended) the adventures he would inspire!    :laugh:

I don't know really who this person is outside of the brief (and surely cursory) sketch of his background in the announcement. What exactly has he done to merit this honor? Is this another instance of using a celebrity as a puppet leader to get attention, or does he actually have legitimate Scouting credentials to his name? 

5 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

I don't know really who this person is outside of the brief (and surely cursory) sketch of his background in the announcement.

There's a pretty decent background on his Wikipedia page.

5 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

What exactly has he done to merit this honor? Is this another instance of using a celebrity as a puppet leader to get attention, or does he actually have legitimate Scouting credentials to his name? 

While it is an honor - I don't see it that way.  The WOSM is asking this guy to serve as a worldwide ambassador for Scouting.  Through that work, I am sure they hope to see Scouting take on even more of an identity of as a challenging outdoor program and more kids join.  He's been doing the role in the UK since 2009.

15 hours ago, qwazse said:

British Ex-Mil with good camera presence who made his name simulating survival situations for TV. His shows are fun to watch.

He's been Scouts UK's Chief Scout for some time. And, yes, he gets a lot of attention. Flys in on helicopter to scout conventions, signs autographs, gives motivational speeches/videos. Projects a likable personality. Genius move on the part of Scouts UK. 

He's a good choice for highlighting what scouts do.

Indeed.

Like it or not we live in an age when image counts for a lot and having a recognisable front man is increasingly important. There are those who don't like him but my scouts certainly do like him.

...as he embarks on his latest adventure as the new chief ambassador for the global scout movement, Bear Grylls now wants to tackle some of the biggest challenges facing society - including gang violence and extremism.

After being appointed the UK’s youngest ever Chief Scout nearly a decade ago, the father-of-three has set his sights on mobilising the Scouts into some of Britain’s hardest to reach areas.

With scout numbers having swelled by an unprecedented 43 per cent to 638,000 under his leadership, Grylls believes growing demand from Muslim communities could help in the fight against radicalisation.

“We have hundreds of mosques every week, reaching out, asking, 'Can we start up groups?'

“MI5 is spending resources to stem the blood but we’re saying, ‘Don’t create the wound’. That’s why we have the mosques coming to us. They’re saying: ‘Hold on, we can see that you’re providing hope, purpose, pride, British values, sense of discipline. All the things that ISIS give people, but for good, not bad. Come and speak to our youths.”

Insisting the Scouts are providing “a positive alternative to kids joining gangs”, he adds: “It’s what I was saying about the young, Muslim kids in this country. If you don’t give them something good, they go to the bad.”

Grylls is convinced he can persuade any teenager to join the Scouts, even those on crime-ridden estates.

it is probably no surprise the 44-year-old, who has sons aged nine, 12 and 15, thinks parents are too risk averse.

“No one is equipping kids with the life skills they need. School isn’t. And I do think we have a culture where everyone is always nervous of risk. When you strip risk out of kids lives, you do them a disservice. Life is full of risks. Lack of risk leads to a lack of independence which explains why anxiety is such a big problem among young people.”

Very hopeful and interesting report at source link:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/08/scouts-can-save-children-extremism-gangs-says-bear-grylls/

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

...as he embarks on his latest adventure as the new chief ambassador for the global scout movement, Bear Grylls now wants to tackle some of the biggest challenges facing society - including gang violence and extremism.

After being appointed the UK’s youngest ever Chief Scout nearly a decade ago, the father-of-three has set his sights on mobilising the Scouts into some of Britain’s hardest to reach areas.

With scout numbers having swelled by an unprecedented 43 per cent to 638,000 under his leadership, Grylls believes growing demand from Muslim communities could help in the fight against radicalisation.

“We have hundreds of mosques every week, reaching out, asking, 'Can we start up groups?'

“MI5 is spending resources to stem the blood but we’re saying, ‘Don’t create the wound’. That’s why we have the mosques coming to us. They’re saying: ‘Hold on, we can see that you’re providing hope, purpose, pride, British values, sense of discipline. All the things that ISIS give people, but for good, not bad. Come and speak to our youths.”

Insisting the Scouts are providing “a positive alternative to kids joining gangs”, he adds: “It’s what I was saying about the young, Muslim kids in this country. If you don’t give them something good, they go to the bad.”

Grylls is convinced he can persuade any teenager to join the Scouts, even those on crime-ridden estates.

it is probably no surprise the 44-year-old, who has sons aged nine, 12 and 15, thinks parents are too risk averse.

“No one is equipping kids with the life skills they need. School isn’t. And I do think we have a culture where everyone is always nervous of risk. When you strip risk out of kids lives, you do them a disservice. Life is full of risks. Lack of risk leads to a lack of independence which explains why anxiety is such a big problem among young people.”

Very hopeful and interesting report at source link:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/08/scouts-can-save-children-extremism-gangs-says-bear-grylls/

Okay, maybe I shouldn't be too critical of the guy...

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

This is troubling. Here we have our "chief ambassador" in the news again, but not for anything good:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/bear-grylls-faces-fine-after-killing-and-cooking-frog-in-bulgarian-national-park/ar-BBTWcxv?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

He seems to me far too reckless and camera-hungry to serve as a deserving representative of Scouting ideals. I say get rid of him before any other scandals emerge.

• Thanks 1

"It is evident from the film material that during the shooting there were breaches to the regulations and rules of conduct in protected areas: entering and swimming in the water basin of the Karakashevo lake, lighting a fire, and catching and killing an animal," a spokesperson for the ministry said in a statement to the AFP news agency.

Well if he broke the rules...still I remember "frogging" at night as a scout. There were no laws against it...well maybe we didn't exactly have permission to use camp rowboat. 

Dark lake with croaking bullfrogs. Cut and sharpen your wood spear, flashlight, rowboat. Later Coleman stove, pot of water, to cook legs.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

This is troubling. Here we have our "chief ambassador" in the news again, but not for anything good:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/bear-grylls-faces-fine-after-killing-and-cooking-frog-in-bulgarian-national-park/ar-BBTWcxv?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

He seems to me far too reckless and camera-hungry to serve as a deserving representative of Scouting ideals. I say get rid of him before any other scandals emerge.

This has me scratching my head.

I have never watch Bear Grylls, but I am aware of his shtick.

The article said he and his crew had been briefed on the rules. So clearly the Bulgarians were aware he was there and filming. Why give him permission to film in the first place if all the things he normally does are off limits? 

As for Grylls being the "World Scout Ambassador,' if it gets more youth in Scouting and in the outdoors I am for it. 

Does it appear his shows are staged? Yes. Are they hokey? yes.

But for the most part (gigging frogs in Bulgaria, aside) he has a decent reputation and as far as I am aware no real negative press (that said I haven't researched the guy).

It is kind of like University of Oregon's football uniforms, not my style, but I am not the target. The kids seem to love it and gets them there. So.....