Camping MB 9b, "snow camping experience" option

We live in Kentucky.  It doesn't snow much here, and when it does the snow doesn't stay on the ground very long.  But it does frequently get cold.  If a scout helped to plan a patrol campout, attended the campout, the temperature dropped below freezing (cold enough to freeze water bottles almost completely solid by morning), but it did not snow, does that fulfill the requirement?  I'm guessing it doesn't, but I'd appreciate any input.  If it doesn't count, requirement 9b(5) is essentially unavailable here.  We can plan a "snow camping experience" all we want, but the chances of there being any snow on the ground that weekend are slim.

I wouldn't count your example. Our scouts usually get snow on our November campout and at least some camp in the snow in Dec/Jan. I wouldn't count those either since  it is incidental and not really any different than other camping trips(no planning windbreaks/snow structures/what have you) However, it is easy for us since we do an out of camp trip at Summer camp that rotates between a canoe trip/100 mile bike trip/backpacking so meeting that requirement is never really an issue.

Here in MN, 9b1, hike up a mountain and gain 1000ft from where you started is impossible. Like snow camping is impossible for you. If you go to a council camp the rappeling  should be a gimme... Anyway, having the long list to pick 2 from should balance this all out. It is all about having a variety of camping experiences, not doing any particular one.

1 hour ago, Tom243 said:

We live in Kentucky.  ...  We can plan a "snow camping experience" all we want, but the chances of there being any snow on the ground that weekend are slim.

@Tom243, welcome to the forums! There's a reason this is optional.

Most boys would not be satisfied calling it "snow camping" without the snow.

Even, up in Western PA, we can get years where our winter camps turn unseasonably warm.

Keep planning monthly camp outs like you usually do. Toss in variety (maybe even an out-of-council klondike derby in parts north) and in the process you'll knock out one or more of the other 9b options. Who knows? You might wake up with a white blanket everywhere outside your tents on one of those days!

Edited by qwazse

With these options - 

b. On any of these camping experiences, you must do TWO of the following, only with proper preparation and under qualified supervision:

1. Hike up a mountain where, at some point, you are at least 1,000 feet higher in elevation from where you started.
  2. Backpack, snowshoe, or cross-country ski for at least 4 miles.
  3. Take a bike trip of at least 15 miles or at least four hours.
  4. Take a nonmotorized trip on the water of at least four hours or 5 miles.
  5. Plan and carry out an overnight snow camping experience.
  6. Rappel down a rappel route of 30 feet or more.

Seems like there are multiple opportunities to accomplish this requirement.  As we are in the deep south never had a scout do number 5, honestly we would be clueless.  Now #1 is easy, #2 we do regularly, #3 we do annually, #4 we go to the swamp every other year, and as was noted many accomplish #6 at summer camp.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

With these options - 

b. On any of these camping experiences, you must do TWO of the following, only with proper preparation and under qualified supervision:

1. Hike up a mountain where, at some point, you are at least 1,000 feet higher in elevation from where you started.
  2. Backpack, snowshoe, or cross-country ski for at least 4 miles.
  3. Take a bike trip of at least 15 miles or at least four hours.
  4. Take a nonmotorized trip on the water of at least four hours or 5 miles.
  5. Plan and carry out an overnight snow camping experience.
  6. Rappel down a rappel route of 30 feet or more.

Seems like there are multiple opportunities to accomplish this requirement.  As we are in the deep south never had a scout do number 5, honestly we would be clueless.  Now #1 is easy, #2 we do regularly, #3 we do annually, #4 we go to the swamp every other year, and as was noted many accomplish #6 at summer camp.

Not to brag, but in Arizona we've done all of these things -- sometimes doing winter and summer activities within weeks of each other.

Okay, maybe I am bragging.

@Tom243 Personally, I wouldn't count that as a snow camping experience. It's not just the cold, it's coping with and/or taking advantage of the snow.

Edited by Saltface
4 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Not to brag, but in Arizona we've done all of these things -- sometimes doing winter and summer activities within weeks of each other.

Okay, maybe I am bragging.

True....but we are able to paint our houses other than varying shades of brown 😏

Also with southern weather we have sometimes done summer stuff and unplanned winter activities on the same day.  With the scouts wearing summer gear for the winter stuff, makes for a fun weekend

Edited by Jameson76

@Tom243, welcome to the forum. Since your troop has already done cold weather camping, how about a bike camping experience? Those are more fun than cold for cold's sake. Lots of snow is also fun. The whole point of 9b is to get the scout to try different things that are all fun. So I'd say unless your part of Kentucky is boringly flat (like most of Arizona) and dangerous for biking (Arizona during snow bird season) and is arid (like Arizona), I'd say use this as a good opportunity to get your scouts to try something else. And if they have already done these things, great! Send them to a snowier place for a high adventure weekend.

@Saltface, my apologies :)

• Haha 1

A 4 mile backpacking trip is really not overly difficult to carry out.  While it's always great to really get the kids into backcountry to experience that, you can do it using your favorite camping spot (ie. your council camp).  Help the kids identify a spot on the route getting to the camp that is two miles out, have them muster there and pack into camp, and then pack out when leaving.  Leave the troop trailer at home, have them carry all the cooking gear they need, etc. and fulfill the Cooking MB requirement at the same trip.

49 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

A 4 mile backpacking trip is really not overly difficult to carry out.  ...

I've seen some of those Kentucky hollers. The "right" 4 miles could crush body and soul, even split over two days!:eek:

By the way, backpacking in the snow is an awesome experience ... a bit of a head-game balancing what you need to keep warm and how light you have to go. But the sheer beauty is worth the price of admission.

2 hours ago, John-in-KC said:

I grew up in Southern California...it was a not trivial effort to get to snow. 

Frankly, National needs to look at this for desert and Oceanside camping...more options...

I took my kids oceanside rappelling! The outfitters told me they also arrange tours for scouts who were camping in the area. The boys could learn solid skills over a couple of days before they make their drops. Even during our family tour, Son #1 earned the climbing MB ... never turned in his blue card. :mad:

I would recommend it to any small troop. It's fun dropping your kids off a cliff with the waves splashing below! Even more fun getting that picture of the smile on their face when they make the climb back up.