Chartering a New Troop for Girls

As far at troop numbers our council (or maybe just our district) appears to have decided to not allow any duplications within the district. Any other troop number is fair game. I like that they will get to pick their own troop number just like they (well, just my daughter at the time) got to pick their own den number.

qwazse - One of them has been coming to Scouts since her brother was a Tiger and she was 3 yrs old. She is arguably a more able scout than most of the boys in that troop. We are lucky to have her as our first Patrol Leader.

Also our whole committee is fully on board with having a troop for the ladies and we already have 4 moms as registered leaders in our troop for boys.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:59 AM, Jpalmer said:

We are getting ready to start a new troop for the girls and we want to have a linked troop with our existing troop. Our Council, as usual, is slow with info and vague when they finally do release anything. My question is this: What do we have to do to establish the link and where does that happen?

Also, is the form to get the extension for the older girls for Eagle the same as the old one for the boys (11.2.0.0)?

Also, do we have to apply online or can we charter with paper applications?

I would appreciate any info I can get!!  

Since all this really isn't supposed to go "live" before Feb. 2019, your Council may be hesitant in giving concrete answers to anything.  In theory, the chartering of girls troops is two months away.  On Feb. 1st,  I suspect your Council and all the rest will be fired up and ready to process applications.

As best as I can tell, a linked troop is what it is. No special steps required. The boy troop and the girl troop share the same CO and committee and that is the extent of it.

2 hours ago, WAKWIB said:

Since all this really isn't supposed to go "live" before Feb. 2019, your Council may be hesitant in giving concrete answers to anything.  In theory, the chartering of girls troops is two months away.  On Feb. 1st,  I suspect your Council and all the rest will be fired up and ready to process applications.

Actual this partially true. Chartering of new Girl Troops is underway.  If girls are to join Feb 1 you need to have a lot of work complete by then.  See attached for an example of a plan.  Note the contact names will be different for your council. I’m sharing this from a private FB account that is supported semi-officially by Nationals.  I recommend searching Facebook for “BSA. Family Packs/Girl Troops” and request to join.  There is a lot of info there.  

Note:  This isn’t official and just one example from a leader. 

Scout BSA New Troop Kit.pdf

Edited by Eagle1993
Added note
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

More info just announced...  Not sure how you get added yet.

In anticipation of the Scouts BSA launch on February 1, 2019, families are already looking for units forming in their area. To help youth join scouts, the BSA has added new functionality that allows councils to display “Coming Soon” units in BeAScout.org.

• Upvote 1
On 11/26/2018 at 8:59 AM, Jpalmer said:

We are getting ready to start a new troop for the girls and we want to have a linked troop with our existing troop. Our Council, as usual, is slow with info and vague when they finally do release anything. My question is this: What do we have to do to establish the link and where does that happen?

Also, is the form to get the extension for the older girls for Eagle the same as the old one for the boys (11.2.0.0)?

Also, do we have to apply online or can we charter with paper applications?

I would appreciate any info I can get!!  

Have you tried talking to your council Registrar?

I would think that starting a linked girls troop is pretty similar to starting a new troop for boys.  If a charter organization wants to sponsor a troop for girls, they have the option to sponsor a linked troop or a separate troop.  The chartered org. may decide to allow the linked troop to share the same troop number as the boy troop.  If so, then there is a prefix in ScoutNET that will distinguish the linked boy troop from the linked girl troop.  The linked boy troop and the girl troop must have different Scoutmasters.  The girl troop must have at least one registered leader who is female and age 21+.  Ask your council Registrar if there's anything else that you need to do.

Until the girl troop is established and shows up at beascout.org and the troop leadership activates online applications, you will have to use paper applications.  Please keep in mind that the BSA's online applications currently only works for new members - not transfers or members of more than one unit (dual or multiple memberships).

Unless they post a new form, I would assume that the form for the extension for Eagle for older girls (and older boys) is the same one that is already in use for boys (11.2.0.0).