Chartering a New Troop for Girls

We are getting ready to start a new troop for the girls and we want to have a linked troop with our existing troop. Our Council, as usual, is slow with info and vague when they finally do release anything. My question is this: What do we have to do to establish the link and where does that happen?

Also, is the form to get the extension for the older girls for Eagle the same as the old one for the boys (11.2.0.0)?

Also, do we have to apply online or can we charter with paper applications?

I would appreciate any info I can get!!  

@Jpalmer, welcome to the forums!

I suspect the new troop should charter with a paper applications. Expect it to be a rough start. In such circumstances, having paper copies will come in handy.

I think the link is the common CO that both troops will have. If anybody else has prepared a charter for a linked troop, it would be good to hear if there's a special check-box or paperwork for a linked troop.

It's not that I doubt @John-in-KC's friend knows what's working in his council. But, it would be good to know if multiple councils have the same chartering process. I would not be surprised if national's soup-to-nuts instruction on how to charter a linked troop won't be in place until the end of next month. (Hoping I'm wrong.)

How many older girls do you have who could get Eagle if they got an extension?

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, MattR said:

I could see a forum for just starting any unit.

Sure.  Do that please.  Call it something like "Starting a new Scouts BSA unit".   I imagine that a lot of the discussion this year would be about the girls units.  But I also imagine that much of that would apply to any unit,  and that we have a lot to learn from others who have started new Boy Scout units in the past.

I hope you can accept a back burner to 4 Dec. I’m on vacation in Austria. I’m not feeding the telephone meter US—Europe unless it’s life threatening in my family.  I have gained contact with my SE friend, but unless this is THAT urgent, I want to get home to do the rest. 

John-in-KC yes, I have talked to my DE and he had little to no idea how the process works to link them. I have actually started a new unit before but it was a standalone and it was just a traditional boy troop and everyone new what to do. National and council act like girls joining is a secret process that you have to have a decoder ring to figure out. There are no resources and processes other than what I've gleaned of the internet. Our council website has not even acknowledged that girls can join Cub Scouts yet and that was months ago.

I disagree with starting a new forum called "Starting New Units". Starting a new unit for the ladies is different than starting a boy unit. There are a lot of issues and questions that we should all be discussing that is specific to the girls.    

That's fine, John-in-KC! Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Jpalmer said:

John-in-KC yes, I have talked to my DE and he had little to no idea how the process works to link them. I have actually started a new unit before but it was a standalone and it was just a traditional boy troop and everyone new what to do. National and council act like girls joining is a secret process that you have to have a decoder ring to figure out. There are no resources and processes other than what I've gleaned of the internet. Our council website has not even acknowledged that girls can join Cub Scouts yet and that was months ago.

In his defense....they really haven't told us much in regards how linked troops will work. 

Edited by carebear3895

I suspect the new troop should charter with a paper applications. Expect it to be a rough start. In such circumstances, having paper copies will come in handy.

I think the link is the common CO that both troops will have. If anybody else has prepared a charter for a linked troop, it would be good to hear if there's a special check-box or paperwork for a linked troop.

It's not that I doubt @John-in-KC's friend knows what's working in his council. But, it would be good to know if multiple councils have the same chartering process. I would not be surprised if national's soup-to-nuts instruction on how to charter a linked troop won't be in place until the end of next month. (Hoping I'm wrong.)

How many older girls do you have who could get Eagle if they got an extension?

We have 3 out of the 5 new girls that will need the extension.