My son is working on his cyber chip for the Star Scout rank.  The cyber chip card reads: "Cub Master" signature.  This is probably based on the fact that my son is still in 5th grade so that is the curriculum he is working on.  Is this something that the Scout Master must sign or can an ASM sign off on it?

Scotty

If your Cyber Chip card says "Cub Master" signature, then someone in your unit bought the wrong cards when they went to the scout store. The one you have is the blue Cyber Chip card, used for cub scouts. Boy scout troops use the green card, which has a line for "Unit Leader" signature (and corresponding green pocket patch). Not a big deal though --- the pledge on both is basically the same, though the requirements vary (depending on age/grade).    See the requirements on scouting.org

More info:  https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/06/04/with-bsas-new-cyber-chip-online-safetys-the-point/ 

Something seems off.  Children can be Scouts if they have completed the fifth grade and are at least 10 years old, OR have earned the Arrow of Light Award and are at least 10 years old, OR are age 11 but have not reached age 18.  Assuming the youth meets the above to be eligible at the Boy Scout level, with the fitness requirements, it would be a month between Scout and Tenderfoot, another month between Tenderfoot and Second Class, and another month between Second class and First Class.  Putting aside all the other requirements, especially the # of troop activities, that's a pretty accelerated timeline going on.  Assuming all of this is on the up and up, the requirement for Star is the same as Scout- earn the Cyber Chip appropriate for his grade.  So if he just got Scout in the past 3 months as a 5th grader, and would earn Star before finishing 5th grade, the requirement feels to be met.

Rather than "explaining" my son's activities I present to you several hypos, all of which are address those concerned scouters out there.

1) A child arrows out early, while still 10 years old.  Becomes attains the rank of scout while still in the fourth grade.  Child goes to BSA summer camp and knocks out some of requirements through the "trail to first class".  Attends several council "trail to first class" outings as well.  Then enters fifth grade  . . .

2) A child has been an active scout in 5th grade.  Makes some ranks but for reasons that are not relevant to this discussion decides to repeat 5th grade.  

3) There is no requirement that a scout has to achieve the rank preceding  before working on some of the requirements.  That is to say, if a child achieves the Swimming Merit Badge as a tenderfoot the scout need to "repeat" requirements 6(a) and 6(b) for First Class.  That being said, if a scout wants to work towards completing the Cyber Chip prior to actually achieving the rank of First Class that scout may.  NOTE: If the scout does not achieve the rank of Star by the end of 5th grade then this requirement may be subject to review by the scout master and the advancement committee.)

Some food for thought.

Scotty

Not implying the Scout did anything wrong, just didn't know the particulars of the young man and his eligibility.  Kudos to him if he is driven, I take nothing away from him on that.

Correct, he can work on most requirements concurrently.  The Cyber Chip is grade specific in how it is structured, not age, so if he is still in 5th grade then the award for 5th grade applies.  I tend to think it should be more about age based, as youth crossover at all sorts of various times, and we should have the material presented as to what is more relevant to the program group they are in.  As Boy Scouts/Scouts BSA should have even more youth run/lead activities, and thus communications, than say Webelos, material in the grade 6-8 is more applicable.  In terms of your son, it may be worthwhile for you and he to talk, and talk to his SM, that the grade 6-8 may be of value to him to earn now.  

2 hours ago, Summitdog said:

Makes some ranks but for reasons that are not relevant to this discussion decides to repeat 5th grade.  

Really any sort of grade repetition would do it, as there wouldn't be a reason to make a kid repeat the "bear" year in cubs just because he repeated the 3rd grade.

With a few exceptions (such as the personal fitness requirements), the rank requirements for the Scout-First Class ranks may be worked on simultaneously.  However (except for merit badges), a Scout cannot start working on the requirements for Star rank until after making First Class rank.

That said, the Cyber Chip is a bit different.  The BSA put out implementation information on the Cyber Chip in the March -April, 2016 edition of Advancement News (on page 4):

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/advancement_news/2016_mar-apr.pdf

I would think that the article would apply to your Scout's situation, and he should do the Cyber Chip requirements for the 5th grade.  If he did the Cyber Chip requirements for the 5th grade previously (last school year), and if his Cyber Chip expired, then he should "recharge" his Cyber Chip.

3 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

With a few exceptions (such as the personal fitness requirements), the rank requirements for the Scout-First Class ranks may be worked on simultaneously.  However (except for merit badges), a Scout cannot start working on the requirements for Star rank until after making First Class rank.

That said, the Cyber Chip is a bit different.

It is noteworthy that the Cyber Chip requirement is the only requirement, aside from merit badges, that does not contain the language "While a First Class Scout".  Actually, my son completed earlier this year so it has not expired.  Because it "counted" towards his Scout rank, we agreed that he should probably recharge it before it expires if it was to be used towards the Star.  (Quite candidly speaking, he just wanted to work towards ranking up over the Thanksgiving weekend and this seemed to fit the bill. 

Thunderbird, I really want thank you for the article.  Not only did it provide helpful information about the Cyber Chip but also about scouts with ADHD.  I will keep this in the library.  I will likely be a good resource for scouts and parents alike. 

Scotty

The Guide to Advancement (section 4.2.0.1) says:

"All requirements for Star, Life, and Eagle, except for those related to merit badges, must be fulfilled after the successful completion of a board of review for the previous rank."

https://www.scouting.org/resources/guide-to-advancement/mechanics-of-advancement/boy-and-varsity/#4201

And the current rank requirements (updated more recently that the GTA) say:

"The requirements for the Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks may be worked on simultaneously; however, these ranks must be earned in sequence."

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/boyscouts/pdf/524-012_BS_Requirements_WEB.pdf

Following the implementation guidance in the Advancement News, I would have the Scout demonstrate that he still understands the Cyber Chip concepts after his First Class board of review to the Scoutmaster or other designated leader.  Won't do any harm to do the recharge activity, too.

Actually, #2 answers my question. The thing that I was tripping over was the number of activities, other than meetings, that a Scout could possibly participate in while still in 5th grade, which is when most Scouts crossover from Cubs.

AVTech, the number of events available really depends on the troop and council.  My son's troop/council regularly has events, e.g., flag planting on memorial day at a National Cemetery,  food drives, visiting veterans at VA hospital on Veterans day, trail to first class overnights, so getting those events would not be a problem, if the scout is motivated. 

Scotty