Philmont Questions

Our troop is going to try to put together a crew for Philmont 2020. I have lots of questions, but the most important one I need answered ASAP since the registration is due this week is:

Does the number of days in the trek (7 or 12) include the days at base camp, or are you actually hiking for 7 or 12 full days?

Edited by dedkad

So to be all technical.  A 12 day trek runs sort of like this

• You arrive at Phillmont on DAY 1 (check-in, ranger assignment, shakedown, initial food, gear, opening campfire)
  • You head for the Trail DAY 2
  • On Trail Days 2 - 12 Arrive back in Base Camp on Day 12 (check back in, turn in gear, shower, buy swag at Tooth of Time traders, shower again, by more stuff at TOT, closing campfire)
  • Depart from Philmont on Day 13

10 nights on the trail and 2 nights in Base camp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you! I swear when I first was researching Philmont some months back, I found some information about the various treks and the schedule, but now when I look I can't seem to find anything.

So I assume a 7-day trek would leave on Day 2, hike Days 2 through 7. Arrive back on Day 7 and depart on Day 8?

1 hour ago, TMSM said:

Thanks, I can't tell you how many times I clicked on that link, but I just kept trying to click forward to the register portion where I thought it would give me more info. I feel stupid that I didn't even bother to read the text that was above each link. More stupid questions to come...

12 hours ago, dedkad said:

... I feel stupid that I didn't even bother to read the text that was above each link. More stupid questions to come...

1. It's never the user's fault.

2. There are good programmers who understand computers, and then there are programmers who understand users. Most people hire the former when they need the latter!

3. It's really nice to have someplace where real people answer simple questions. Props to @TMSM and @Jameson76! I'd rather have my mileage vary a little from a stranger on the internet's advice than be completely clueless after an hour on an official website.