Trappers Rendezvous 2019

We have an event like this but it's not a winter campout. Sounds like fun.

John Coltor Run DRESS CODE As a very popular event at Trappers, the John Coltor run has grown to include hundreds of participants each year. The Order of the Arrow has done a great job putting on this event and we want this event to continue for a very long time. Runners can wear items like long johns, pajamas, running shorts and shirt, and appropriate costumes. Remember just to use common sense. No Speedos or “tighty whities”.

Wow, you guys are serious about your authenticity!

@Buggie, this certainly appears to be an intense camporee! The newsletter/program guide (in attachment) is huge and full of photos. 

My concerns are: 

1) Do youth have any planning in this event? It looks very polished, which is likely because it's been going on for 42 years.

2) Is there any incentive to have Patrols work together on anything? I see a lot of mention of Troops but nothing about Patrols.

Perhaps you could clarify since you've been before and have experience. I worry sometimes when I see elaborate camporees that don't have youth involved in the planning and don't focus on the Patrol during the events.

Looking forward to hearing more!

2019-Trappers-Herald-c-1.pdf

It's really not a camporee as we think of camporees, it's closer to wilderness reenactment. It's watching reenactors, selling and trading trinkets. Our troop goes often and the scouts just have fun. It's usually below freezing and often snowing. I have not been in a while, so others can fill in, but our scouts have always enjoyed it.

Barry

As Eagledad stated, it's not a real BSA event, even though it is a BSA event. Not youth run at all. 

The thing I hear the most from the scouts when they return are their stories about trading. In the PDF mentioned above, they want to get beyond the "garage sale" type of trading, but that's what happened most often when my son went. The "Trappers" are reenactment type folks showing various skills, and in some cases, letting the scouts try it out themselves. The big thing the "Trappers" teach is how to trade, and it all involves tall tales. Which is where the real fun is. Scouts learn to come up with big stories for the smallest items. 

My son used to take two items with him to start his trading, but he later started his trading by buying a $6 hatchet they sell in the shop there. He'd then stand close to that shop and offer it up for trade, spinning a tall tale about it (had it for years, fought off a bear, defeated a gaggle of Webelos...). He's start trading up from there. As he got older, typically he'd get involved in a large trading type of Rube Goldberg line.  Adam has the item A he wants, but he wants Item B.  Bob has B, but wants C. Chuck has C but wants D. Doug needs help finding E, but doesn't want to trade, but if you can arrange a trade for him for Item E he'll give you D.  He's gotten up to around 11 folks involved where he finally gets someone to want what he has (item K) who then trades him item J and thus the trading network gets completed down the alphabet to where he comes away with the Item A he wanted. The last time he went he had a trading line about 15 deep when it fell apart and he didn't get what he really wanted. He had a great time doing all that though. 

Sometimes he comes away with something he really wanted (old gameboy, gameboy games etc). Other times just something he thought was cool (small skateboard, pocket knifes). Or something that he wasn't too cautious about. (Binoculars where one side doesn't work so well)  All in all, he had a great time, met a lot of scouts from around the area, and stories to tell. Plus in his early days he'd come home with a sack of wooden nickels. Thankfully he stopped bringing those home. 

We've another event in February for all the shooting/archery sports, Top Shot, which is pretty popular as well. 

2 hours ago, Buggie said:

As Eagledad stated, it's not a real BSA event, even though it is a BSA event. Not youth run at all. 

The thing I hear the most from the scouts when they return are their stories about trading. In the PDF mentioned above, they want to get beyond the "garage sale" type of trading, but that's what happened most often when my son went. The "Trappers" are reenactment type folks showing various skills, and in some cases, letting the scouts try it out themselves. The big thing the "Trappers" teach is how to trade, and it all involves tall tales. Which is where the real fun is. Scouts learn to come up with big stories for the smallest items. 

Okay, that is different. Here the scouts compete at the various skills. The winning unit takes home a black powder rifle.