Sign in to follow this  
LeCastor

"Train Them, Trust Them, Let Them Lead"

On the one hand, that was the campiest little number I've watched in months. :laugh:

Yet on the other hand ... 

It is charming (I vaguely remember slideshows from when I was only about knee-high to a grasshopper; they were already considered obsolete by the time I was in elementary school), but I gotta say - I agree wholeheartedly with most everything it teaches. As primitive as the presentation is, I find that it successfully conveys the entire point of the patrol method in a clear, easy-to-understand and mildly (MILDLY) amusing context. The quotes are right on, it addresses a scenario that is all but ubiquitous in the Scouting world, and it's simple. Honestly, I think it's wonderful. I would GLADLY show this to any Scouter, whether old and seasoned or fresh and new.

10 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

I would GLADLY show this to any Scouter, whether old and seasoned or fresh and new.

Good! I'm glad to hear it. While the video is very dated, the ideas don't change. That's really the beauty of the Patrol Method, in my opinion. If we simply allow the Patrol Leaders to lead the Troop, then things will work out and there will (hopefully) be much less drama. My biggest difficulty as Scoutmaster was convincing the parents that the Scouts were the true leaders of the Troop. It was a constant battle...Maybe Scoutmasters could show this video to parents at an annual Patrol Method refresher cookout in the backyard?

I love it. So retro. And so very applicable. One thing that really surprised me was examples of doing it wrong. Everyone says they let the scouts lead but it's the examples that make it concrete (telling the patrols where to camp, making the menus, etc). I'm curious as to who made the video. Was it a troop or the BSA?

@MattR  bottom of the opening slide showed it as copyright BSA 1978.

I have seen many real life versions of that SM over the years, all of whom were sure that they were doing things the right way.  It takes a lot of effort to step back and let Scouts make mistakes.  I have told them more than a few times when they forget to pack something or don't set up the way I would, if it is not life threatening, I not going to step in and fix it for you; hopefully you will remember next time.

I did have a little bit of a flashback when hearing that first little beep, and remembering how often I would have to remind my middle school students to pay attention to the beeps, as that was their signal to advance to the next frame when we showed a filmstrip in class.