"Train Them, Trust Them, Let Them Lead"

On the one hand, that was the campiest little number I've watched in months. :laugh:

Yet on the other hand ... 

It is charming (I vaguely remember slideshows from when I was only about knee-high to a grasshopper; they were already considered obsolete by the time I was in elementary school), but I gotta say - I agree wholeheartedly with most everything it teaches. As primitive as the presentation is, I find that it successfully conveys the entire point of the patrol method in a clear, easy-to-understand and mildly (MILDLY) amusing context. The quotes are right on, it addresses a scenario that is all but ubiquitous in the Scouting world, and it's simple. Honestly, I think it's wonderful. I would GLADLY show this to any Scouter, whether old and seasoned or fresh and new.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

I would GLADLY show this to any Scouter, whether old and seasoned or fresh and new.

Good! I'm glad to hear it. While the video is very dated, the ideas don't change. That's really the beauty of the Patrol Method, in my opinion. If we simply allow the Patrol Leaders to lead the Troop, then things will work out and there will (hopefully) be much less drama. My biggest difficulty as Scoutmaster was convincing the parents that the Scouts were the true leaders of the Troop. It was a constant battle...Maybe Scoutmasters could show this video to parents at an annual Patrol Method refresher cookout in the backyard?

I love it. So retro. And so very applicable. One thing that really surprised me was examples of doing it wrong. Everyone says they let the scouts lead but it's the examples that make it concrete (telling the patrols where to camp, making the menus, etc). I'm curious as to who made the video. Was it a troop or the BSA?

@MattR  bottom of the opening slide showed it as copyright BSA 1978.

I have seen many real life versions of that SM over the years, all of whom were sure that they were doing things the right way.  It takes a lot of effort to step back and let Scouts make mistakes.  I have told them more than a few times when they forget to pack something or don't set up the way I would, if it is not life threatening, I not going to step in and fix it for you; hopefully you will remember next time.

I did have a little bit of a flashback when hearing that first little beep, and remembering how often I would have to remind my middle school students to pay attention to the beeps, as that was their signal to advance to the next frame when we showed a filmstrip in class.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Does anybody have any suggestions on starting a leadership course for SPL's, ASPL and PL's. I'm not talking about Brownsea or NYLT. My council has both of these

fine courses;but, many troops do not take advantage of them.  I would like to offer basic scout leadership training on a troop level, at the troops meeting location, etc.

I would appreciate any information that is out there.

16 minutes ago, davemetrano said:

Does anybody have any suggestions on starting a leadership course for SPL's, ASPL and PL's. I'm not talking about Brownsea or NYLT. My council has both of these

fine courses;but, many troops do not take advantage of them.  I would like to offer basic scout leadership training on a troop level, at the troops meeting location, etc.

start here: http://www.inquiry.net/patrol/

then: http://www.inquiry.net/patrol/green_bar/index.htm

Edited by DuctTape
2 hours ago, DuctTape said:

Great references. It’s a lot for one course with the Scouts, but great material for the support team i.e. adults.

My philosophy on troop junior leader training is everything should be learned by observing others. Training should only be required when bad habits aren’t changing, or to give vision or performance expectations. If training is required, remember Participants absorb only 30% of the presentations at best. 20% is more realistic.

So, focus on the bad habits that aren’t changing. And limit the skills you are trying to teach or train to 3. If your program is just starting, than cut it down to the very basic and add additional skills a little at a time. 

I tell all our Scoutmasters to use the SPL and PL Handbooks to help keep your Patrol Method development consistent. Just like the Scout Handbook, just about everything a Patrol needs for a successful Patrol method program is in those 2 handbooks.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
6 hours ago, dkurtenbach said:

If your troop is executing the patrol method as depicted in the presentation, is there really any added value in having more patrols in the troop?  That is, shouldn't a one-patrol troop be just as effective as a six-patrol troop?

To be more precise, a small troop only large enough for one patrol (say, 6 to 10 Scouts) versus a larger troop with multiple patrols of that same size (6 to 10 Scouts).  If each troop is executing the patrol method, does a larger patrol method troop have any advantages over the smaller patrol method troop in giving the youth an effective Scouting program?

8 hours ago, dkurtenbach said:

If each troop is executing the patrol method, does a larger patrol method troop have any advantages over the smaller patrol method troop in giving the youth an effective Scouting program?

More adults to help.

16 hours ago, dkurtenbach said:

To be more precise, a small troop only large enough for one patrol (say, 6 to 10 Scouts) versus a larger troop with multiple patrols of that same size (6 to 10 Scouts).  If each troop is executing the patrol method, does a larger patrol method troop have any advantages over the smaller patrol method troop in giving the youth an effective Scouting program?

All things being equal in terms of patrol method and relative resources, competition/inspiration is a multi-patrol troop's key advantage. GBB and others talk about using occasional inter-patrol competitions to drive both patrol identity and excellence. Even more important, for me, is the role of inspiration. Seeing another patrol eating an excellent meal, dealing with the weather,  pulling off a cool activity should give you something to aspire to. If your patrols are balanced, each patrol should be able to regularly find inspiration from the others. 

• Upvote 1
On 12/22/2018 at 6:56 PM, davemetrano said:

I always wondered if OA should run a youth troop leader training program at round table.   Essentially, a district level program for youth to teach youth leadership and how to run their troop.  Very similar to the Boy Scout breakouts at round table ... maybe with some suggested structure.   Like twice a year have patrol leader training.  Twice a year have SPL training.  Twice a year quarter master training.  Patrol method training.  Other topics I'm sure are out there. 

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, fred8033 said:

I always wondered if OA should run a youth troop leader training program at round table.   Essentially, a district level program for youth to teach youth leadership and how to run their troop.  Very similar to the Boy Scout breakouts at round table ... maybe with some suggested structure.   Like twice a year have patrol leader training.  Twice a year have SPL training.  Twice a year quarter master training.  Patrol method training.  Other topics I'm sure are out there. 

I like this idea a lot. I did a little (very little) research into this idea and the first challenge I ran into was the Scouts personal time. I believe all challenges can be solved, but that was all my one hour a allowed on this idea.

Barry