What are the best ways to recruit new Boy Scouts

I need some help from y'all.  As of right now, my Troop has 3 active scouts.  We have had a rough past 2 years with our charter organization getting rid of us (due to problems with the pack).  We ended up creating our own non-profit organization so we wouldn't have to find a different charter org.  We have also had a change at Scoutmaster recently.  I had assumed the responsibilities of Scoutmaster but since I am not 21 another one of our older leaders (also my Grandpaw) is the "official" Scoutmaster on paper.  Along with the Scoutmaster leaving, we had 5 boys and 2 other adults go with him (they created a new troop due to disagreements with one of our leaders).  Anyways, my main point is we need more boys.  Our council set up recruiting events at schools and a local church but they were canceled due to bad weather (hurricanes).  Since then, they have yet to set up any replacement events so we have had to do this on our own (which is fine but help would be nice).  We have placed "Join Boy Scouts" signs at many places around town with my contact information.  We also gave 2 of our scouts some info cards to hard out at school but I am not sure they have done that yet.  Another reason we are having troubles is because the Cubmaster for our Cub Scout Pack does not have a great relationship with us.  He is friends with one of the leaders who left and started a new troop.  We have talked with the Cubmaster and he says he will stick with us and send his boys our way (we will see if that actually happens).  Anyways, I am curious to see what y'all think.  What have y'all done for recruiting?  I am willing to try anything at this point.  I have been fighting my butt off to keep this Troop up and running but to little success.  I don't want to see this Troop fold but I am afriad with another year like we have been having we might have to give up.  Any suggestions are appreciated!  

Effective recruitment is an active process. Signs and "come to" events are passive and yield less results.

The current scouts need to go to where prospective recruits congregate and do stuff with them, become friends, ask them to join. The adults do the same with the adults.

This can take many forms, either engaging with the prospectives immediately, or doing scout stuff to gather an audience.

Recruitment is cheap, easy, effective but you can only pick two.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, CodyMiller351 said:

I need some help from y'all.  As of right now, my Troop has 3 active scouts.  We have had a rough past 2 years with our charter organization getting rid of us (due to problems with the pack).  We ended up creating our own non-profit organization so we wouldn't have to find a different charter org.  We have also had a change at Scoutmaster recently.  I had assumed the responsibilities of Scoutmaster but since I am not 21 another one of our older leaders (also my Grandpaw) is the "official" Scoutmaster on paper.  Along with the Scoutmaster leaving, we had 5 boys and 2 other adults go with him (they created a new troop due to disagreements with one of our leaders).  Anyways, my main point is we need more boys.  Our council set up recruiting events at schools and a local church but they were canceled due to bad weather (hurricanes).  Since then, they have yet to set up any replacement events so we have had to do this on our own (which is fine but help would be nice).  We have placed "Join Boy Scouts" signs at many places around town with my contact information.  We also gave 2 of our scouts some info cards to hard out at school but I am not sure they have done that yet.  Another reason we are having troubles is because the Cubmaster for our Cub Scout Pack does not have a great relationship with us.  He is friends with one of the leaders who left and started a new troop.  We have talked with the Cubmaster and he says he will stick with us and send his boys our way (we will see if that actually happens).  Anyways, I am curious to see what y'all think.  What have y'all done for recruiting?  I am willing to try anything at this point.  I have been fighting my butt off to keep this Troop up and running but to little success.  I don't want to see this Troop fold but I am afriad with another year like we have been having we might have to give up.  Any suggestions are appreciated!  

First - lots of adult drama seems to be in play, but let's power through that

Scouts are the best recruits for Scouts.  The best way to get boys who are not involved is PROGRAM.  Not advancement, not meetings, not citizenship, etc etc, it's PROGRAM.  Get your 3 active scouts to clearly set a calendar of OUTDOOR PROGRAMMING.  That is the selling point for other boys to engage, what will THEY be doing, what is in it for them.  Go Do Stuff.  Get the dates set and get a plan to go do things.  Not sure where you are but that is what will get the boys to show up.

Canoeing, kayaking. hiking, wide games, biking, etc etc.  PROGRAM brings in Scouts.  The other key items like advancement, citizenship, and leadership can be built once you get them engaged

Edited by Jameson76
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Just now, Jameson76 said:

First - lots of adult drama seems to be in play, but let's power through that

Scouts are the best recruits for Scouts.  The best way to get boys not involved is PROGRAM.  Not advancement, not meetings, not citizenship, etc etc, it's PROGRAM.  Get your 3 active scouts to clearly set a calendar of OUTDOOR PROGRAMMING.  That is the selling point for other boys to engage, what will THEY be doing, what is in it for them.  Go Do Stuff.  Get the dates set and get a plan to go do things.  Not sure where you are but that is what will get the boys to show up.

Canoeing, kayaking. hiking, wide games, biking, etc etc.  PROGRAM brings in Scouts.  The other key items like advancement, citizenship, and leadership can be built once you get them engaged

Yes, there is (mostly was) plenty of adult drama.  I am doing my best to get rid of all that and focus on our boys but some of our leaders are more focus on how we have been "wronged" and "betrayed".  I have been trying to get us to do at least one trip per month.  That trip is usually either a backpacking trip or a normal camping trip.  One of the main problems though is lack of help from my other leaders.  Most have little commitment and are mainly just worried about their kid (which is fine but a little help would be nice).  We have a lot on our plate right now (including renovating our Scout Hut) but I am trying to get our priorities right.  We have to have more boys.  It's as simple as that.  I appreciate your feedback!

Once they have a calendar of events. Your guys have to get in one school assembly where you and them present it to boys their age.

Search this forum for "boy talks" or "scout talks" to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Recruiting Boy Scout age youth can be difficult but as everyone above points out, there are definitely ways to do it. There is one Troop in my district that has no Pack affiliation and they manage to keep afloat year and year with fresh, new Scouts throughout the year. It's amazing how well they do with word-of-mouth recruiting from the Scouts themselves. In our school district it's difficult getting into a school to make a presentation or do a Scout talk because the principals limit outside organizations. 

The power of Scouts talking to their friends is truly awesome! 

Edited by LeCastor
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, CodyMiller351 said:

... some of our leaders are more focus on how we have been "wronged" and "betrayed".  I have been trying to get us to do at least one trip per month.  That trip is usually either a backpacking trip or a normal camping trip.  One of the main problems though is lack of help from my other leaders.  ...

Two things:

First. When I was a crew advisor with adult drama swirling around me I used the phrase: "I'm not about to be bothered by the burrs up anyone's butt, especially yours."

I only needed to use it once per aggrieved adult. It will be a little bit harder for you to do that because of age differences. You could try saying, "I'm working for smiles." But, I'm afraid they won't take that as an indication that you're expecting them to stop jawing, to make peace, and get to the work at hand.

Second. Team up with another troop/crew. Go to roundtable. See who's out there, and see if they have room for you an a couple of boys in whatever they are doing (or if you have room in your plans for one of their patrols). I've seen on more than one occasion that scout is friendly.

• Like 1

So you are doing some backpacking. Cool! Call some packs and ask to visit their Webelos dens to show off pictures of their adventures and bring their gear to show off. Boys (not sure about girls) like gadgets. Best way to get boys excited about adventure is to listen to boys talking about adventure. We have in the past taken dutch oven and made cobbler. Cobbler is fun because it so easy to make in front over everyone. But if time is an issue, you can start cooking before the Web's show up. Or ask a den or two to meet your scouts at the park where they will talk about their troop (adventures) and roast marshmellos.  Set up a tent with the packs sitting against a tree. Make a schedule for the next six months that any boy this age would want to do, fishing, mountain biking, hiking, shooting sports, canoeing, and repelling. That sounds like something I would want to try. 

Find fun ways to get the Webelos to visit your troop.

Barry

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As Jameson76 said, it’s all about the program, that’s what they come for, and your existing scouts are the best way to do that. Word of mouth is powerful tool!

What you can do to support them in that is give them some tools. If the troop doesn’t have it already give it an internet presence. That doesn’t have to be an all singing all dancing website, it can be as simple as Flickr photo stream or a Facebook page. Make sure that on it are two things

1. Photos of the scouts doing fun stuff. Canoeing, hiking etc. Don’t worry about uniforms or courts of honour, that doesn’t sell. Show off the fun.

2. Include clear and simple contact details.

Your existing scouts can then put that under the nose of their friends and say “look what we did at the weekend”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Earlier this week there was a picture posted on the town middle school FB page showing a class of 8th grade boys and girls cooking outside.  I emailed the teacher and this is what I found out.

The Outdoor Adventure class is currently an 8th grade elective.  The class covers a little bit of everything outdoors.  I do teach them Hunter Education thru Texas Parks and Wildlife in which I usually plan and organize group hunts for the students and their parents.  We also learn how to fish and take a trip up to Blue River in Oklahoma during January for some trout fishing.  Currently we are working on archery learning how to shoot bow and arrows through the National Archery in Schools Program in which hopefully we will go to a few tournaments this year.  This is the second year of the class and it has really opened up doors and opportunities for several students to have alternative outlets.  I approached Mr. Coleman about trying to get kids to see there is life without phones in their hand 24/7.  My favorite trip is to the Youth Wildlife Conservation Experience that takes place in Dallas at the convention center.  Last year Northwoods Law and Lone Star Law game wardens spoke to the kids.

I KNOW there is the interest with the kids now for sure I just want to get to them to talk about Scouts.  I asked if he thought there might be interest with those girls in starting a Troop since we have nothing anywhere close.  They are for sure not doing Girl Scout stuff.  Anyway they teach is a coach and asked that I let him finish football for this year and he wants to meet to talk about possibilities.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think there are two issues. One is getting a kid to show up. The other is what happens to the kid once he shows up. We make a big deal of the SPL talking to the visiting scout, introducing him to the troop, and asking him what patrol he'd like to visit with. Then the patrols go crazy inviting him to join them. Making a kid feel welcome once he shows up is just as important as getting him to show up.

• Like 1