selecting a uniform hat for a new troop

"Uniform" is one of the Eight Methods and has a purpose toward developing scout growth. Some adults take that more to heart than others, and use it differently than others. The objective to the "Patrol Method" method is enabling the scouts to think independently while working together as a team. That can be a very challenging expectation of the scouts. For me, the "Uniform" method is a positive part of helping scouts grow in making independent decisions for their outward actions toward the members of their patrol.

Interestingly, I find the more troops are boy run, the less they look unified in uniform. Actually that un-uniformity shows the complexity of giving scouts the independence to make wrong decisions. It's not that the troop doesn't have expectations for uniform, but in each scout's life, they go through phases of vanity vs. character integrity. Scouts aren't always feeling uniform with their patrol mates. We are patient and they do grow.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
  • Upvote 1

How about something rather unique that combines both the utility of a hat and a neckerchief?

My daughter likes to wear a "buff." I had not thought of this before but a buff could be class A headgear and class B neckwear and it could also provide much of the same utility of a neckerchief.

They could be both uniform and unique (could add patches or other ornamentation to them).

I did a quick search and it appears the scouts of South Africa already do this:

https://www.scouts.org.za/2014/10/13/get-original-ssa-buff/buff-female-image/

I think I am going to pass this idea along to my daughter. I was keen on a beret:

https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/uniforms/proper-wear-of-the-army-b.shtml

but I think this one will go over better.

15 hours ago, thrifty said:

most boy scouts in our troop don't wear hats so they just use whatever personal head gear they want if any.  Personally I don't see the need for mandatory assigned hats.  If the youth don't like them, they won't use them anyway. 

I agree.  Most adults like hats, but the Scouts don't, except for wearing knit caps in the winter. 

Very cool. Ya can't be the campaign hats, but I also like the garrison hats that we wore back in the 60s. I wore my dads garrison hat that he wore in the early 40s.

Glad to see the long stockings, the smartwool version are more practical for backwoods.

Seems old styles come back, but I hope to never see the short shorts of the 80s. Yeeee!

Barry

There is often a crew at Philmont who do their whole trip in full dress uniforms. Some of them also sing and do cheers along their route. The ones I see are usually older scouts. They make it look easy, which I guess is the point. Very impressive to watch. 

Barry

2 hours ago, roberthynesii said:

The never functional Beret.

Hey now!  I wore that beret proudly in the early 70's, and am planning on wearing it (along with my '72 retro uniform) to Roundtable tomorrow night.  I also have, and wear with it, one of the 60's garrison hats.  Only time I wore the campaign hat was on Woodbadge staff in '74.

Edited by MikeS72
10 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

Hey now!  I wore that beret proudly in the early 70's, and am planning on wearing it (along with my '72 retro uniform) to Roundtable tomorrow night.  I also have, and wear with it one of the 60's garrison hats.  Only time I wore the campaign hat was on Woodbadge staff in '74.

Mr. Mike,

I wore a beret as a Scout as well, in a parade if my memory serves. Never really objected to it. Unit they decided to make me wear it in the Army. Hot summer days in Georgia with no brim to speak of, sweat always dripping in your face as there isn't really a sweatband..... Great for ceremonies. Not great for anything else.

1919285_1081459136916_1433204_n.jpg

My troop chose the beret because of the Army.  I was with a troop on base at Fort Campbell, from 1965 - 1974.  Back then, the only one's who wore berets were Special Forces.  When we saw that we could wear that red beret, we were all over it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1