Bear Claws

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just used mine a couple weeks ago when the can opener at the place we were staying broke.  Be Prepared and all...... Separately, don't buy cheap knives, they are probably just as dangerous as d

Because when I was a kid, I couldn't wait to get a spoonful of crushed condensed tomatoes!   Almost as exciting as helping dad open cans of motor oil.

Ask your parents if any of them have a knife with one. It's best the boys learn on devices they can access everyday. Regardless, if it's your own money, it's better to just buy one or two of your own

14 hours ago, cgail said:

How about cans of tomato paste?  Small and cheap enough for each Scout?

Because when I was a kid, I couldn't wait to get a spoonful of crushed condensed tomatoes!  :blink:

Almost as exciting as helping dad open cans of motor oil.

Edited by qwazse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, SSScout said:

P 38 anyone? 

The P 38 is a valuable tool and I keep one on my keyring at all times. However, this doesn't help the OP solve the issue of using a pocket knife with can opener. We would like to steer comments back to the OP rather than veer too far off the rails.

• Upvote 1

Ok, answer this for me: Are any of the pieces shown on this tool a can opener? 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/knives-tools/multitools/pc/104791680/c/104740380/sc/104461380/cabelas-multi-tool/2001015.uts?slotId=0

I know it's a $6 itty-bitty pocket knife. But I own one - slightly different model but I think I paid about $4 for it several years ago. Mine has a flashlight instead of all the other pieces, but it's a pretty solid little tool and it gets the job done. 

I'm still willing to explore the idea of borrowing one, but honestly it looks like hardly anybody other than Victorinox puts can openers on pocket knives anymore. And even they don't put it on half of their offerings. 

Looking at the photo and the description of the tool, this particular one doesn't appear to include a can opener. You might go to your local Scout Shop and purchase the official Scout knife: https://www.scoutshop.org/bsa-deluxe-pocket-knife-2-1-2-knife.html. As others have mentioned previously, the Bears could take turns using this knife to complete the requirement.

• Upvote 1

I'll try to borrow one first, and buy if necessary. I may still get this for the kids to use for opening packages, using the screwdriver, etc.. Or just ask the parents to provide one for each of their kids and float this as an option alongside the BSA ones if they don't have one already. 

Just so you know, I've never known a multi tool (other then leatherman's) to last more than a year. Most Swiss Army or scout knives hold up for five. I tend to loose them before they ever break.

Edited by qwazse

Mine doesn't get a ton of use but it's been rattling around in a pocket or handbag for several years (at least 4 or 5) and hasn't broken yet. Probably if it was used heavily it wouldn't last a long time, but... it was under $5. 

• Upvote 1

I'm expecting most tools to give me a weekend a month of rough service (i.e. actually used for their intended purpose and sometimes a little more) for about three years.

Think about your Cubs becoming scouts in three years and you'll why that's my bar.

On 11/10/2018 at 10:13 PM, Liz said:

I'll try to borrow one first, and buy if necessary. I may still get this for the kids to use for opening packages, using the screwdriver, etc.. Or just ask the parents to provide one for each of their kids and float this as an option alongside the BSA ones if they don't have one already. 

Now that I think about it more, I would suggest (strongly encourage even) that you talk to parents before giving anything to your scouts. Some parents might prefer to be the ones to give their son/daughter their first pocketknife. I rehabbed my old Swiss Army knife to almost like-new condition and I've held on to it for longer than my son has been on this earth, with the intention of handing it to him next year as his first knife. And if someone else came along at a den meeting and handed my son his first knife before that, I'd be kind of annoyed.

Edited by FireStone
2 hours ago, FireStone said:

Now that I think about it more, I would suggest (strongly encourage even) that you talk to parents before giving anything to your scouts. Some parents might prefer to be the ones to give their son/daughter their first pocketknife. I rehabbed my old Swiss Army knife to almost like-new condition and I've held on to it for longer than my son has been on this earth, with the intention of handing it to him next year as his first knife. And if someone else came along at a den meeting and handed my son his first knife before that, I'd be kind of annoyed.

This can't be stressed enough. I wasn't going to pass on one of my old pocketknives until my son earned his Totin' Chip and had told him so. Off he goes to summer camp, dutifully earns his Totin' Chip, and proceeds to purchase his own knife from the camp trading post. I was (am) super disappointed. But I had never told him he couldn't buy his own. Mostly because I didn't think or know it was an option. So I was mad, with no one to be mad at... sigh.

• Upvote 1

@Liz, both @FireStone and @WonderBoy make a valid point here. Knives are among the sacred objects of Scouting and I can completely understand the desire to hand down to a son or daughter a cherished tool, like a pocket knife. You could easily have a single knife--your own--as the one your Cubs use to fulfill the requirement in question. 

On a side note, I once stepped in it (royally) when I purchased a Scouting tool for one of the Scouts in my Troop. During a camping trip this young man was showing great interest in fire-building and, as a way to encourage his new skills, I purchased one of those Swedish fire steel tools and presented it in front of the Troop. Within a day I found out from the Scout's mother that he was mis-using the fire steel...in his bedroom. 

I always err on the side of caution when presenting gifts to Scouts. 

Good luck to you!

LeCastor