Bear Claws

So, I'm planning out for January when our Bear dens will be doing their Bear Claws requirements, and I've run into a little hitch. 

One of the requirements so to *either* carve two items, *or* accomplish a long list of tasks with a pocket knife. I think the kids will actually have more fun and learn more by doing the second option, although I'd like to offer them the choice. 

The problem is that one of the things they need to accomplish is "open a can using the can opener on a pocket knife." 

And I can't find a lot of options (and none affordable) that include a can opener tool. It's kind of a dinosaur that nobody really uses anymore. Not to mention that even if I do find one I'm also going to need a YouTube video or something to teach me how to use it. LOL! They all include bottle openers, but not so much can openers. 

I'd like to get each of the Bears a Cabela's $6 Multitool and not have to buy just one Leatherman to share for the same amount of money. 

All advice on this subject is welcome. Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just used mine a couple weeks ago when the can opener at the place we were staying broke.  Be Prepared and all...... Separately, don't buy cheap knives, they are probably just as dangerous as d

Because when I was a kid, I couldn't wait to get a spoonful of crushed condensed tomatoes!   Almost as exciting as helping dad open cans of motor oil.

Ask your parents if any of them have a knife with one. It's best the boys learn on devices they can access everyday. Regardless, if it's your own money, it's better to just buy one or two of your own

How affordable is affordable? Here are two options the Scout Store offers; a can opener is actually a pretty standard accessory. I've never owned a pocketknife that didn't have one:

https://www.scoutshop.org/catalog/product/view/id/4093

https://www.scoutshop.org/catalog/product/view/id/3412

Admittedly they're not as cheap as the $6 option, but as long as you have one can opener you can still teach them how to use it.

24 minutes ago, Liz said:

It's kind of a dinosaur that nobody really uses anymore.

I just used mine a couple weeks ago when the can opener at the place we were staying broke.  Be Prepared and all......

Separately, don't buy cheap knives, they are probably just as dangerous as dull knives.  The tinker linked above is my everyday pocket knife.

• Upvote 3

Thanks, guys. I don't mind buying a $30 knife for my own kid, but I'm not sure I want to buy half a dozen of them... and I have a $50 gift card for Cabela's which is why I was looking there. 

The problem is you can't always be sure that spending $30 gets you good quality, although admittedly a $6 multitool probably isn't great quality. I was hoping Cabela's wouldn't put out something that was complete garbage with their name on it, but I don't expect it to be the tool the kids use through high school. Just trying to get something so we can get their tasks taken care of with. 

I know the can openers used to be standard and I know I've owned them in the past (and never used them) - but I'm not finding a lot of them on current pocket knives. I think scissors have kind of taken their place. 

Maybe I'll check to see if any of the other parents have one we can borrow. 

Ask your parents if any of them have a knife with one. It's best the boys learn on devices they can access everyday. Regardless, if it's your own money, it's better to just buy one or two of your own to share for the den meeting than to buy a dozen cheap ones.

Tell Cabela's that you're coming with a carton of cans to test their knives on. Not every brand works as cleanly as the knife in the video. I've found Swiss Army and BSA to sell products that pretty much do what they say they will.

Some of the new-fangled openers are so confusing ... opening cans is faster with my knife. It took me months to figure out one of those ergonomic ones, then once we all figured it out Mrs. Q decided she hated it. So, she gave it to Daughter for her apartment.:mad:

25 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

... I've never owned a pocketknife that didn't have one ...

I did inherit one without a can-opener. Well, "inherit" wasn't quite the right word for it. Mom got tired of grandpa whittling away his cane.:laugh:

• Haha 2

There's not much in the $6 price range that will be of decent enough quality that I'd personally trust it to not result in injury. It does look like an Swiss Army with a can opener runs around $21 on Amazon (the Tinker, ironically cheaper without the BSA branding on it).

Have you spoken to parents about this yet? I would imagine some (maybe most) would be willing to spend $21 on a knife for their kid if it's good quality and will last. My first Swiss Army knife is still in great shape today, some 30 years later, given to me by my father and I'll be giving it to my son next year when he is a Bear.

15 minutes ago, Liz said:

Maybe I'll check to see if any of the other parents have one we can borrow.

Seems likely.   I personally have three different pocket knives with three different styles of can openers.   That's not counting my family members' knives.   And I'm not even a BSA parent (yet, not till February).    It seems highly likely that you will turn up knives to borrow if you simply ask. 

4 hours ago, FireStone said:

There's not much in the $6 price range that will be of decent enough quality that I'd personally trust it to not result in injury. It does look like an Swiss Army with a can opener runs around $21 on Amazon (the Tinker, ironically cheaper without the BSA branding on it).

Have you spoken to parents about this yet? I would imagine some (maybe most) would be willing to spend $21 on a knife for their kid if it's good quality and will last. My first Swiss Army knife is still in great shape today, some 30 years later, given to me by my father and I'll be giving it to my son next year when he is a Bear.

I actually have one of the $6 Cabela's multitools - it's a different model and has fewer options but includes a flashlight. It's tiny! Mine actually has a keychain attachment. But it seems decent quality. Thing is though, it doesn't have a can opener. 

I haven't spoken to the parents yet but I'll work on that. 

5 hours ago, Liz said:

So, I'm planning out for January when our Bear dens will be doing their Bear Claws requirements, and I've run into a little hitch. 

One of the requirements so to *either* carve two items, *or* accomplish a long list of tasks with a pocket knife. I think the kids will actually have more fun and learn more by doing the second option, although I'd like to offer them the choice. 

The problem is that one of the things they need to accomplish is "open a can using the can opener on a pocket knife." 

And I can't find a lot of options (and none affordable) that include a can opener tool. It's kind of a dinosaur that nobody really uses anymore. Not to mention that even if I do find one I'm also going to need a YouTube video or something to teach me how to use it. LOL! They all include bottle openers, but not so much can openers. 

I'd like to get each of the Bears a Cabela's $6 Multitool and not have to buy just one Leatherman to share for the same amount of money. 

All advice on this subject is welcome. Thanks!

You should be able to find a Swiss army type knife with a can opener. That or a Boy Scout standard pocket knife. Just let them use one for the whole den.  They don't need to own one yet.  

5 minutes ago, perdidochas said:

You should be able to find a Swiss army type knife with a can opener. That or a Boy Scout standard pocket knife. Just let them use one for the whole den.  They don't need to own one yet.  

I'm just afraid if they have to take turns it will take for-ev-er. :( 

2 minutes ago, Liz said:

I'm just afraid if they have to take turns it will take for-ev-er. :( 

They don't have to open a can each! Have them take turns doing a few strokes on the same can. On each turn the boy can make a couple more strokes than he did the last time.

Honestly, for safety and sanity's sake, you don't want any more cans being opened simultaneously than you have adults to watch the process. Once a group finishes their can, give them another.

1 minute ago, qwazse said:

They don't have to open a can each! Have them take turns doing a few strokes on the same can. On each turn the boy can make a couple more strokes than he did the last time.

Honestly, for safety and sanity's sake, you don't want any more cans being opened simultaneously than you have adults to watch the process. Once a group finishes their can, give them another.

Kids or cubs. Not just boys. ;) Don't forget cub scouts isn't just for boys anymore. 

The requirements say "open a can" - you don't think that should be start to finish for each kid to open an entire can?

We don't have that many cubs though. Most likely 4 cubs total (2 in the girl den and 2 in the boy den). 

I guess maybe some of them will choose to carve two items too. We'll figure something out.  

17 minutes ago, Liz said:

Kids or cubs. Not just boys. ;) Don't forget cub scouts isn't just for boys anymore. 

The requirements say "open a can" - you don't think that should be start to finish for each kid to open an entire can?

We don't have that many cubs though. Most likely 4 cubs total (2 in the girl den and 2 in the boy den). 

I guess maybe some of them will choose to carve two items too. We'll figure something out.  

:rolleyes: My venturers had to endure my sometimes calling them "Sir" when I wasn't paying close attention to who was talking. Your girls will be fine if some stranger on the internet uses "boy" regarding them.

The over-arching requirement in Cubs is "Do Your Best."  You really want this to be a team activity. Even when I was a scout (in the days of cans with heavier gauge metal), the boys on kitchen patrol took turns at this. It takes a while to get used to it (see my note above about the new-fangled gizmos), and having three watch the other one take his/her turn will keep the less coordinated kid from being discouraged. Plus, teamwork on this little thing will translate into good patrolling in the future.

That said, if your other adult is a good coach and a good carver, have him/her ready with a small project for the cub who get's bored of the can.

P.S. - Make sure it's cans of something they'd love to eat.

P.P.S. - Be ready with the first aid kit.

Edited by qwazse