Girl Scouts Suing the Boy Scouts

6 hours ago, TFrancis said:

There were siblings selling cookies at our Pinewood Derby. I wonder what that report looked like. 

Every year I repeatedly see GSUSA uniformed youth selling cookies at BSA activities and events.  It has always seemed like one directional relationship.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were coming back from an outing last week, stopped for lunch, saw the Girl Scouts were selling cookies nearby so we wandered over and bought some cookies, talked about our recent outing, heard abou

As a DL for a female den, I try to never use gender terms. My girls are "scouts." If I start to say, "hey girls" I quickly correct myself and call them "scouts." Using gender terms is a crutch I, as a

What we have here is a great opportunity for BSA to correct a bad branding decision.  Who are Scouts BSA?  The public doesn't know.  It has no history, no identity.  You have to explain it, and it goe

Posted Images

7 hours ago, MattR said:

Well, just because one service unit has a bee in their bonnet doesn't mean I still don't like those cookies. I don't buy from tables in front of stores, though. The neighbor kids that ring my doorbell get my money.

My barista, a senior, is my cookie contact. She hasn't been in the shop since she took my order.

oh no! Maybe the cookie police have her in interrogation!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ianwilkins said:

Ah HAAA! Nobody expects the Cookie Inquisition!

Our Chief weapon is Samoas! Samoas and Thin Mints! Thin Mints and Samoas! Our two weapons are

And ruthless efficiency. I knew it had to be a Monty Python quote. It took a while.

13 hours ago, fred8033 said:

Every year I repeatedly see GSUSA uniformed youth selling cookies at BSA activities and events.  It has always seemed like one directional relationship.

Well, could it be that cookies are an easier sale than popcorn? If the BSA really wants to cross a line they should start selling cookies. Give the rack a turn.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, MattR said:

And ruthless efficiency. I knew it had to be a Monty Python quote. It took a while.

Well, could it be that cookies are an easier sale than popcorn? If the BSA really wants to cross a line they should start selling cookies. Give the rack a turn.

or Trails End need to consider making a mint chocolate popcorn....HMMM. Minty thin popcorn? 

2 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

Ah HAAA! Nobody expects the Cookie Inquisition!

Our Chief weapon is Samoas! Samoas and Thin Mints! Thin Mints and Samoas! Our two weapons are...

Those are the 2 that I always end up buying. Gotta agree with some of the other comments here though....I prefer to buy from the kids who knock on my door, though I will admit to occasionally buying from the parent who brings an order sheet to work.

I do wish the Boy Scouts could come up with a fundraiser that was cheaper, easier to sell, and a HECK of a lot less complex than popcorn sales (too many price points, etc.)  When girl scouts come around, I can buy from every girl who approaches me --- after all, $4 a box isn't going to break my budget and I always have at least a five-spot in my wallet. On the other hand, the cheapest popcorn sold by boy scouts is $10 and there are those "boxes" at prices up to $55. Yikes! That's WAY too much for popcorn...

18 minutes ago, carebear3895 said:

or Trails End need to consider making a mint chocolate popcorn....HMMM. Minty thin popcorn? 

Yech!  That sounds as gross as that Hershey bar with pretzel bits in it...

The Girl Scouts have since announced that  (scout) is no longer using the image to sell cookies.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900056980/jason-mamoa-samoas-this-girl-scout-put-jason-momoas-picture-on-boxes-of-samoa-cookies-and-they-sold-out-like-hotcakes.html

FB comment: “Girl Scouts of Colorado still not addressing how it is right what was done. Joke or not... it is still teaching this young lady that copyright infringement is permitted and stealing is ok.”

Should the Girl Scouts turn over all money from the  Momoas sales to Warner Brothers?  Could be a great opportunity to learn the skills of business ethics as mentioned in a  2011 essay Samoas to CEOs: 5 Things Girl Scouts Can Teach Businesses

https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/1577-business-lessons-girl-scouts.html

Edited by RememberSchiff

Well this is getting more interesting as to why Warner Brothers and DC have been quiet. :D

Last fall,  "Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) teamed up with the DC Super Hero Girls to inspire more girls to participate in the Girl Scout Cookie Program®, the largest girl-led entrepreneurship program in the world. The program gives girls real-world experiences managing money, setting goals, meeting deadlines, learning the basics of marketing to customers, and having fun as they learn and earn. This year, Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment will collaborate with GSUSA to foster the female leaders of tomorrow through the 2019 Cookie Pro contest. Using the power of the DC Super Hero Girls, the contest will inspire Girl Scouts to be smart and courageous as everyday Super Heroes. It will also highlight and reward exceptional cookie bosses who take the lead, set high goals for themselves, bring positive change to their communities, and learn valuable entrepreneurial skills."

https://www.girlscouts.org/en/press-room/press-room/news-releases/2018/warner-bros-and-dc-entertainment-team-up-with-gsusa.html

Super Hero Girls! Cookie Entrepreneur Experience. 24 winners nationwide.

Last year, one of our Cub Scout little sisters proudly told me that she was in girl scouts. The next thing out of her mouth was, "we're selling cookies!"  I was hoping to hear about other activities.

Also, two years ago, I planned to buy a box every time someone asked me.   That got way out of hand!  

So the GSUSA's are teaming with   DC Super Power Girls?   Skimpy, skin tight uniforms , soon to be appearing at  a Girl Scout Troop near you?  

""...real-world experiences managing money, setting goals, meeting deadlines, learning the basics of marketing to customers, and having fun.... "    

I'm not going to knock the GSUSA for selling cookies or for partnerting with WB/DC.  The GSUSA has a different program than the BSA and that's fine.  More power to them.   That's why I think this lawsuit is inherently dumb.  They are two different programs with two different sets of activities.

On second thought - I do knock the GSUSA for partnering with DC.  If they'd had an ounce of sense they'd be partnering with Marvel - not DC.  :)

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

@RememberSchiff  Jason Momoa and Lisa Bonet React to Girl Scout Selling 'Momoas' Cookies (Exclusive)

https://www.etonline.com/jason-momoa-and-lisa-bonet-react-to-girl-scout-selling-momoas-cookies-exclusive-120357

Jason Momoa does not want Samoas -- he wants some freebie shortbread cookies, instead!  :laugh:

Now there's an opportunity for a Win-Win. 

We're starting our popcorn season early.  I'm sure everyone who's cool with Jason Mamoa Somoas will also like to purchase a bag of my Sofia Vergara Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Popcorn. It's Hot, Hot, Hot! if I do say so myself.

image.png.2da9e7e3aba32f9f8b7e03fadbb5de65.png

Sorry, the name isn't as catchy as Momoa Samoas, but at least she's fully dressed compared to the picture of him on the cookie box. Don't think mine violates any copyrights or trademarks either.

• Haha 1