Girl Scouts Suing the Boy Scouts

7 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

We could have some fun with this though.  This telling of the story quotes the suit::

Pick your favorite new name for the program formerly known as boy scouts, add to the list, or suggest a single-name program moniker (e.g. Venturing, Exploring):

Cavalry Scouts, BSA

Dragoon Scouts, BSA

Pioneer Scouts, BSA

Buffalo Scouts, BSA

Ooooo, I like Dragoon Scouts. 

Barry

• Haha 1
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were coming back from an outing last week, stopped for lunch, saw the Girl Scouts were selling cookies nearby so we wandered over and bought some cookies, talked about our recent outing, heard abou

As a DL for a female den, I try to never use gender terms. My girls are "scouts." If I start to say, "hey girls" I quickly correct myself and call them "scouts." Using gender terms is a crutch I, as a

What we have here is a great opportunity for BSA to correct a bad branding decision.  Who are Scouts BSA?  The public doesn't know.  It has no history, no identity.  You have to explain it, and it goe

Posted Images

3 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

This could be more of a PR thing and perhaps a way to nudge BSA toward some sort of concessions.  I don't know what exactly that would be. 

1 hour ago, carebear3895 said:

I actually think this is going to become a PR disaster for them. 

In this day in age, the less "progressive" institution will always lose. 

The lawsuit makes GSUSA look mean-spirited and lacking in confidence.  Hardly a good way to convince wavering families to stick with GSUSA and not switch to BSA which, at least around here, seems to be very friendly and welcoming to girls.

49 minutes ago, oldisnewagain1 said:

how about "the Scouting organization formally known as Boy Scouts"

or

Scouting The Fun Units - better known by it's initials when in communications with the Girl Scouts USA

Scouts Unfazed Camping Kayaking Intending To Go Strongly Until Simply Amazed

• Haha 4
  • Downvote 1

From a thread in the /BSA Sub Reddit:

The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has 41 live records for the term "Scouting."

Of these 41 live trademark/patient registrations, 13 are owned by the BSA including the following: NORTHERN STAR SCOUTING, FRIENDS OF SCOUTING, LIVE SCOUTING'S ADVENTURE NATIONAL JAMBOREE SBR 2017, LIVE SCOUTING'S ADVENTURE, SCOUTING WORKS, THIS IS SCOUTING, MY.SCOUTING, SCOUTINGU, SCOUTING FOR ADVENTURE, SCOUTING FOR FOOD, NATIONAL SCOUTING MUSEUM, NATIONAL CATHOLIC COMMITTEE ON SCOUTING, and SCOUTING.

0 "Scouting" are owned by the GSUSA.

The GSUSA does own a trademark for "Scout" as it applies to their cookies, and interestingly enough in Sept. 2018 the GSUSA obtained a trademark for "Scout Cookies."

The BSA also owns a trademark for "Scout" as it applies to:

Education services, namely, providing on-line classes in the fields of math, history, science, economics, social studies, psychology, computer science, and environmental science; education services, namely, providing online courses of instruction at the secondary level and distribution of course material in connection therewith.

The BSA owns the following trademarks for "Scout:" VOICE OF THE SCOUT, SCOUTWEAR, NATIONAL SCOUT JAMBOREE, SCOUTSTUFF.ORG, and a few others out of the 715 registered "Scout" trademark derivatives.

• Upvote 2
39 minutes ago, Horizon said:

SCOUTING

I'd prefer Scouting BSA over Scouts BSA. It implies we're doing something rather than just being there.

In the meantime, I went with a patrol last night that helped out at a local homeless charity. It was great watching them. At one point I just asked the PL if he could get his patrol  organized and a minute later they had it all figured out. I'm really impressed with this PL. He's 13. They had fun. I put a bug in their ear about helping this charity once a quarter and making this their thing. It was a good night to be a scouter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
13 minutes ago, MattR said:

I'd prefer Scouting BSA over Scouts BSA

I concur.

On a side note, perhaps I will break out the old 70's 'Scout BSA' uniform for Roundtable this month; and yes, it will include my much maligned red beret!

• Upvote 2
55 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

I concur.

On a side note, perhaps I will break out the old 70's 'Scout BSA' uniform for Roundtable this month; and yes, it will include my much maligned red beret!

Excellent idea!  I have the same shirt, but I sure don't fit in it.  The beret still fits (XL, Charlie Brown size).

(Apologies if someone has already mentioned this)

I'm wondering what the GSA hopes to accomplish.

First, the legal costs.  Surely those attorneys' fees will cut into the Cookie Syndicate profit margin.

Second, the PR factor.  How does the suit improve the brand?  I can't think of any benefit.  It just makes the GSA look petty.

You know it's a weird day when the strategic decision making in Irving TX looks good by comparison.

Edited by desertrat77
1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

I just watched national news and they called it “a war”. The GSUSA didn’t come out looking like the bad guy. 

Barry

National news, pshaw! They blow everything out of proportion by using military terms. All those politicians just asking folks for votes ... they called it campaigning as if they were some kind of Roman legion.

:p

Edited by qwazse