Girl Scouts Suing the Boy Scouts

2 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I think it's exactly the opposite, but whatever.

You don't think so! Hmm, I'm pretty sure a small mention of the male dominating program pushing the GSUSA around on the issue will bring out heavy artillery. Activism is looking for a fight. 

Barry

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were coming back from an outing last week, stopped for lunch, saw the Girl Scouts were selling cookies nearby so we wandered over and bought some cookies, talked about our recent outing, heard abou

As a DL for a female den, I try to never use gender terms. My girls are "scouts." If I start to say, "hey girls" I quickly correct myself and call them "scouts." Using gender terms is a crutch I, as a

What we have here is a great opportunity for BSA to correct a bad branding decision.  Who are Scouts BSA?  The public doesn't know.  It has no history, no identity.  You have to explain it, and it goe

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 69RoadRunner said:

This could be more of a PR thing and perhaps a way to nudge BSA toward some sort of concessions.  I don't know what exactly that would be.

I actually think this is going to become a PR disaster for them. 

In this day in age, the less "progressive" institution will always lose. 

53 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

You don't think so! Hmm, I'm pretty sure a small mention of the male dominating program pushing the GSUSA around on the issue will bring out heavy artillery. Activism is looking for a fight. 

Ok, we have different ideas about how worked up people (other than the parties and their lawyers) are going to get over a trademark dispute, but there's only one way to find out..

14 minutes ago, ham_solo said:

Scouts USA should be the eventual name to match Scouts UK, Scouts Canada etc

But in Cananda and in the UK the WAGGGS member organization is called a varient of "guides", and those girls are not called "scouts".  In the U.S.  the WAGGGS member organization is called "Girl Scouts".  We have a quite a different situation with names in this country.

1 minute ago, NJCubScouter said:

Ok, we have different ideas about how worked up people (other than the parties and their lawyers) are going to get over a trademark dispute, but there's only one way to find out..

OK? NJ, the lawyers are already involved.

Barry

The girls who showed up at the Crystal Palace rally in 1909 called themselves "Girl Scouts".   Then Baden-Powell thought up a different name "Guides" for the girls in the UK, and persuaded his sister to head up that organization.  But the American organization for girls didn't accept the name "Guides", and instead called themselves "Girl Scouts".

This name issue goes all the way back.

21 hours ago, Setonfan said:

Do we really think parents are truly confused that both organizations exist?

Parents and the public in general are confused that Troops and Packs are different within the one organization.  Just this week I had to explain to our Chamber of Commerce that we (the Pack) participated in their opening flag ceremony for the town fall festival and the Troop had no involvement.

3 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Oh my gosh, lawyers are involved?  Take cover, hide the women and children, it's a disaster!

That was sarcasm.  

10 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Is that sarcasm too?

Barry

Is it really possible that because of some local miscommunication this whole lawsuit has emerged? Kind of fascinating that this is even possible. Surely there has to be some kind of protection for the BSA organization from local volunteers going rogue. Can the national org really get sued for a volunteer putting bad info on a facebook page or google doc?

24 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Oh my gosh, lawyers are involved?  Take cover, hide the women and children, it's a disaster!

That was sarcasm.  

Yeah, but clearly ageist and sexist saracam!  Why should strong independent women and children have to hide?  You are clearly part of the patriarchical power hierarchy that must be destroyed! :)

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, FireStone said:

Is it really possible that because of some local miscommunication this whole lawsuit has emerged? Kind of fascinating that this is even possible. Surely there has to be some kind of protection for the BSA organization from local volunteers going rogue. Can the national org really get sued for a volunteer putting bad info on a facebook page or google doc?

GSUSA absolutely knows this. They still want to make a big thing about it to look like they are being victimized. 

We could have some fun with this though.  This telling of the story quotes the suit::

The Girl Scouts’ suit seeks a court order barring the Boy Scouts from using “any variation” of the words “scout,” “scouts,” “scouting” and “Scouting BSA” to market its programs to girls unless the word or term also has an “inherently distinctive or distinguishing term appearing immediately before it.”

Pick your favorite new name for the program formerly known as boy scouts, add to the list, or suggest a single-name program moniker (e.g. Venturing, Exploring):

Cavalry Scouts, BSA

Dragoon Scouts, BSA

Pioneer Scouts, BSA

Buffalo Scouts, BSA