Two Deep - Married, Related ok?

44 minutes ago, AVTech said:

I stepped down as Scoutmaster of my son's Troop to become the Scoutmaster of my daughter's Troop.

44 minutes ago, AVTech said:

My wife is the ASM.

This is off topic,  but you probably know the answer to this.   For the two registered YPT-trained adults, of age at least 21 years, one of which must be female (needed for any activity involving Scouts BSA girls)  --- does it matter whether these two adults are related to each other?     Can a husband and wife be the only two adults with the group?     I haven't seen any mention of this in what I've seen of BSA requirements, but my knowledge is limited.   It sure would be convenient.   I do know that some groups (such as GSUSA) require their necessary two adults to be unrelated to each other.

21 hours ago, cgail said:

I thought I read that a husband and wife can't be the only 2 leaders since they can't be forced to testify against each other.

Seriously? This is not about court testimony. It is about accountability and prevention.

Mrs. Q and I were "the two" on several occasions. Seabase Bahamas being the most notable.

However, this being a brave new world and all, scouters should make sure they aren't running afoul of their CO's guidelines.

Pulling it back on topic that's the other thing that this particular promo is missing, adult association.

Edited by RememberSchiff
link to previous topic
1 hour ago, cgail said:

I thought I read that a husband and wife can't be the only 2 leaders since they can't be forced to testify against each other.

You may have read that on one of the Scoutbook forums, but that, like these forums, often represent the poster's opinions or belief system, not official policy.

It may not be a good idea for a spouse to be part of 2 deep, just as it may not be good idea to have spouse in key 3 positions, but I have never seen anything in writing from BSA forbidding it.

• Like 1

As the person that apparently has created so much controversy... My wife is my kids' stepmother, if that makes a difference... The other points I would like to make are 1. We will most likely NOT be the only 2 adults in the room, especially since our calendar and that of the boys' troop are pretty much running in parallel and 2. The reality of the situation is that the work is always done by those who show up. It is now November 18, which gives us 90 days to launch, provided we get 5 applications. I am also going to insist on maternal participation to build a team of fully-trained female leaders so I can step aside at some point, and see where I can be of he most help in my town/district going forward.

Actually, your post just gave me an excuse to ask a question.   I was more thinking along the line of a patrol wanting to hold a patrol meeting with as little adult interference as possible (within the confines of BSA rules).    If one of the scouts has both parents registered (committee member,  ASM,  unit reserve scouter, merit badge counselor, whatever) then could the patrol hold its meeting at that scout's house on a Saturday morning or weekday evening when both parents were at home but were doing their own things elsewhere in the house?

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

Actually, your post just gave me an excuse to ask a question.   I was more thinking along the line of a patrol wanting to hold a patrol meeting with as little adult interference as possible (within the confines of BSA rules).    If one of the scouts has both parents registered (committee member,  ASM,  unit reserve scouter, merit badge counselor, whatever) then could the patrol hold its meeting at that scout's house on a Saturday morning or weekday evening when both parents were at home but were doing their own things elsewhere in the house?

I personally believe the patrol meeting where husband wife are nearby (e.g., doing chores around the house while the youth are in an open area) would provide a more than adequate barrier from abuse.

Many of our crew meetings were like that.

Apparently two-deep married  ok. :huh:

“Winchester Cub Scout Pack 507 (grades 1-5) has over 110 Scouts in it, making it one of the largest Cub Scout packs in the Greater Boston area,” said Matt Gordon. “I am an Eagle Scout myself and was the leader in charge of the whole Cub Scout Pack (called the Cubmaster) for the past four years and was getting ready to retire after my son, Sam, crossed over from Cub Scouts into Boy Scouts last spring.”

Matt’s plans changed course, however, when his daughter, Lily, “heard me talking about how girls could join Cub Scouts starting in the fall for the first time,” which piqued her interest.

Matt initially asked Lily “if she wanted to do Girl Scouts instead because honestly I was ready to retire.” After some persistence from Lily, who agreed she would recruit friends, says Matt, “my wife, Laura, graciously agreed to step up and help me out” as a den co-leader.

The Gordons teamed up to start a new girls den — a small group of Cub Scouts who are the same gender and age — as part of the larger Pack 507. Matt ultimately went through with his “retirement” as Cubmaster to focus his attention on the girls den for grades 4-5 with Laura, who had not been previously been involved with Cub Scouting.

The new Winchester Cub Scout den comprises eight girls and began meeting in September. Their activities have included camping in the Blue Hills Reservation, canoeing, traversing a high ropes course and outdoor cooking over a campfire.

http://winchester.wickedlocal.com/news/20181106/meet-winchesters-first-cub-scout-girl-den

5 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Apparently two-deep married  ok. :huh:

“Winchester Cub Scout Pack 507 (grades 1-5) has over 110 Scouts in it, making it one of the largest Cub Scout packs in the Greater Boston area,” said Matt Gordon. “I am an Eagle Scout myself and was the leader in charge of the whole Cub Scout Pack (called the Cubmaster) for the past four years and was getting ready to retire after my son, Sam, crossed over from Cub Scouts into Boy Scouts last spring.”

The new Winchester Cub Scout den comprises eight girls and began meeting in September. Their activities have included camping in the Blue Hills Reservation, canoeing, traversing a high ropes course and outdoor cooking over a campfire.

http://winchester.wickedlocal.com/news/20181106/meet-winchesters-first-cub-scout-girl-den

It's possible that Pack 507 may not be doing everything exactly according to the Guide to Safe Scouting.  When did BSA begin allowing Cub Scouts to participate in High Ropes Courses?  Perhaps if they are following the GTSS, maybe they aren't exactly following YPT either? 

6 hours ago, awanatech said:

It's possible that Pack 507 may not be doing everything exactly according to the Guide to Safe Scouting.  When did BSA begin allowing Cub Scouts to participate in High Ropes Courses?  Perhaps if they are following the GTSS, maybe they aren't exactly following YPT either? 

I suspect they attended a ropes course at New England Base Camp (Camp Sayre) .