New Scouts BSA marketing video

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just FYI, on Tuesday evening, I stepped down as Scoutmaster of my son's Troop to become the Scoutmaster of my daughter's Troop. It is a linked Troop (well, it will be on 2/1/19), using the same charte

We may disagree on things related to Star Wars, but I couldn't agree with you more strongly on this. Very well said.

I don't even have words to express how upsetting it is to see videos like this trying to make the admittance of girls into Scouting look like some wonderful thing. And the mess it has caused with Yout

8 minutes ago, Cambridgeskip said:

Not convinced by the "scout me in" slogon but the imagery and music work pretty well. Over all I like it!

Gotta say, it's one of National's better productions. But, it's as good a pitch for GS/USA as BSA.

Load the canoes with gear for an over-night, show that fish being cleaned and cooked, chocolate fondue instead of s'mores, a flag being raised at the campsite, and (I can't believe I'm saying this) the girls pulling uniforms out of their dry bags for evening flag retirement. Then you get a little closer to what we're actually selling.  

59 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Then you get a little closer to what we're actually selling.  

I would agree, but considering what National’s turned out for marketing collateral in the past, this is a pretty giant leap forward. Still, baby steps! We’ll get there.

It sparked enough interest on my daughter’s part to reverse some previous teenage apathy, so I’m counting that as a win! 😁

Edited by shortridge
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Gotta say, it's one of National's better productions. But, it's as good a pitch for GS/USA as BSA.

Load the canoes with gear for an over-night, show that fish being cleaned and cooked, chocolate fondue instead of s'mores, a flag being raised at the campsite, and (I can't believe I'm saying this) the girls pulling uniforms out of their dry bags for evening flag retirement. Then you get a little closer to what we're actually selling.  

Closer to what local units are selling, but I'm not sure it's what the BSA actually wants us to be selling anymore. I've long suspected that emphasis on uniforms was being reduced.

I struggle with this often, being my Pack's recruitment/marketing/promotions guy. The stuff I get from BSA, the photos, flyers, marketing materials, it all looks quite a bit different from what daily life in the Pack looks like. I mean, the activities are there, but the look and feel of it is substantially different. And I know it puts some parents off. We got some negative reactions to doing a non-sectarian prayer recently at the close of a campfire. I've heard comments about our flag ceremonies being "very military-like", and apparently not in a way that some parents like. The uniforms (especially at the Scouts BSA level) definitely have a military look to them.

That's day-to-day stuff for us locally, but nationally you won't see much (or any) of that stuff in the marketing materials.

I’m also ready for a uniform change. There needs to be a clear line between the 110 year old traditional Boy Scouts program and the new family approach. The Girl Scouts around here like to wear tie dyed t-shirts. I’ve seen families wearing custom t-shirts at amusement parks. There ya go.

Barry

11 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I’m also ready for a uniform change. There needs to be a clear line between the 110 year old traditional Boy Scouts program and the new family approach. The Girl Scouts around here like to wear tie dyed t-shirts. I’ve seen families wearing custom t-shirts at amusement parks. There ya go.

Badges aren't going away so t-shirts don't seem practical. Unless you're suggesting that we do away with badges, too.

3 hours ago, qwazse said:

But, it's as good a pitch for GS/USA as BSA.

I suspect that many of the girls to whom this video would appeal would have some idea of what their local girl scout troops are (or are not) doing.   If they have found their local girl scout troop not to be outdoorsy enough, then this might make BSA look appealing.     Not to say that GSUSA troops couldn't do this stuff (except wearing the BSA logo clothes)  but many certainly don't.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

The Girl Scouts wear sashes with their t-shirts.

And typically look really, really, really sloppy. 

The GSUSA gave up on a "uniform" look uniform in the early 1970s when they went mix-and-match.

Actually having a uniform is one of the things about BSA that appeals to my daughter.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Pulling it back on topic that's the other thing that this particular promo is missing, adult association.

It’s a marketing piece, and they can’t be all things to all people, or expected to encapsulate the entire Scouting program in a short period of time.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Eagledad said:

Barry

The video is selling the fun, which is, IMO, the right way to promote Scouting. 

• Upvote 1