How does a Webelo become a Boy Scout?

Acco, are you are being very saubtle or a tad unkind?

Jason, are you referring to Webelos? Those who proudly procalim, "We'll Be Loyal Scouts!" or am I missing a joke here?

If its a sincere question...thaen many might offer some guidance, but the short answer is by meeting the joining requirements.

Some Webelos earn the "Arrow of Light", in pursuit of which they visit several units including one visit during which they (from memory here...) participate in a scoutmaster conference & complete an application to join a troop.)

Other boys age out of Cubs & just move on from Webelos 2 to Boy Scouts, they effectively register with a new unit (this time a troop) based on age or grade. These young men can certanly be welcomed in a crossover or bridging ceremony.

Bob

Bob58

It's a joke........would you like me to tell you the answer?

It has to do with brownies. But I rather not. Just something I posted at the time to lighten the mood after reading my reverence post.

I agree.....shame on me. Thats why I did not finish the joke.

Do brownies belong scouts? I thought they were a camp fire girl thingy.....sorry...see where ignorance gets ya.(This message has been edited by Jason OK)

• 1 year later...

First, of all as for the Brownie joke, that joke has been around for ages and as a boy scout I would hear it over and over again at camps.

Second, as for Webelo becoming a boy scout it is a great thing if they wish to continue on with scouting. Help him understand that as a boy scout new things would be expected of him and you would still be there to help when he needs it.

I crossed over in spring of 1996 and earned my Eagle Rank 6 years later and beyond thanks to the help my parents, friends and my troop gave me.

Scouting can be a wonderful thing if parents and the boys understand that it is not just a baby sitting service. I am sure you know by the way your son takes part if he truly wishes to continue but as a Boy Scout it needs to be his choice not the parents he will be one day put in a position of authority and responsiblity in the troop.

I must say that Scouting effects us all whether Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts but both are great orginizations and both teach those envolved whether adult or child quite a bit about ones priorities.

Heart, power of mind, and courage to act on ones' belief are all that one needs to succeed in todays world... I wish your son and family the greatest in the world whatever his decision is.

Sincerely

Chris Houle

Eagle Scout with Gold Palm