Is BSA adult leader training necessary?

47 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Yes, it is all in the approach. I wish there was a course for teaching approaches.

Barry

Not a bad idea. Those of us who are educators by trade and those with a wealth of experience would certainly be happy to share our best practices.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@CodyMiller351, welcome to the forum. Woodbadge at 19? I'd say no. There are better ways to spend your time. At least for now. One of my concerns with eagle scouts that come on as ASM's is t

FWIW I attended and staffed WB in one council and now live and scout in another council.   I’ve not experienced any hazing, fighting, belittling or bullying.  In my experience those who get the least

I've actually made the opposite argument in my Pack. I'm an Eagle and it has not prepared me at all for herding Cub Scouts. 😁  

1 hour ago, LeCastor said:

Wood Badge is the same way. As Scoutmaster this year, I encouraged youth to come in and teach several of the sessions. The learners appreciated that! I guess it's all in the approach to the training--teaching and taking.

Wait...you sullied the sacred grounds of a Woodbadge course with actual youth?  They will possibly gain the secrets of WB; critters, coffee making, silly songs, woggles, handshakes, holy ticket items, tartan plaid, kilts,  and other secret whatnot!!

(actually a great idea, some Woodbadgers I have met seem to begin to feel Scouting would be great if not for all the kids hanging around all the time)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, CodyMiller351 said:

I never said every new Eagle Scout should be prepared to take over as Scoutmaster at age 18, as there is much to learn over time, that is why you have to be at least 21 to be Scoutmaster.  I do think every Eagle Scout should be prepared to become a good adult leader based on experience in leadership and knowledge of how Scouting works.  You do not have to be SPL or even PL to learn and become a good leader.  

I'm with you- my point is that "necessary" depends on the users.  Scoutmaster Basic and OLS- yes, I would agree the syllabus content pretty much someone who was truly engaged as a youth (that is, did just more than "check the boxes") should be able to skip that.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DuctTape said:

Not a bad idea. Those of us who are educators by trade and those with a wealth of experience would certainly be happy to share our best practices.

When I was given responsibility for organizing new district Troop leadership courses with the new syllabuses in 2000, we only recruited experienced scouters who were professional educators. Humbly, I was the only non professional educator. 

Our troop had a simple train-the-trainer course for scouts who earned First Class.

Barry 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

When I was given responsibility for organizing new district Troop leadership courses with the new syllabuses in 2000, we only recruited experienced scouters who were professional educators. Humbly, I was the only non professional educator. 

Our troop had a simple train-the-trainer course for scouts who earned First Class.

Barry 

I am sure you brought with you a wealth of experience of best practices.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

Wait...you sullied the sacred grounds of a Woodbadge course with actual youth?  They will possibly gain the secrets of WB; critters, coffee making, silly songs, woggles, handshakes, holy ticket items, tartan plaid, kilts,  and other secret whatnot!!

(actually a great idea, some Woodbadgers I have met seem to begin to feel Scouting would be great if not for all the kids hanging around all the time)

@Jameson76, I know you are being facetious ;) but as Scoutmaster I was able to select the staff and they shared my vision. Probably I'm not your typical SM based on the negative views of Wood Badge I see on the forum. 

@CodyMiller351, you are welcome to take Wood Badge in Wisconsin if you want to. We'll welcome you with open arms and we won't haze you or shame you in any way. :D

• Like 1