Who Works on an Eagle Service Project in Your Troop?

Our Troop has 50 boys.  Right now we have six Eagle Service projects at varying stages.  Generally speaking,  the candidates invite the whole Troop to help them with fund raising, however when it come to the actual project, some of the Eagle candidates have been handpicking the Scouts who will work on their project.  There are some boys who would like to work on certain projects but they aren't invited to do so.

What are your thoughts on this?  If we are focusing on leadership development, shouldn't we ask the Scouts to manage people who aren't their best friends?

Its the Scout doing the Eagle Project responsibility to find and provide the workforce.  No where does it say it has to be fellow Scouts to volunteer.  Personally I would encourage an open invitation because more hands could me quicker work.  But if they feel they can get it done with a select group, then that's their decision.  As a Eagle scout mentor, they should remind the Scout that in a work place in the future, they will have to work with people not of their own choosing, and this would be a great opportunity to get experience in working with a vast group of people.

• Upvote 2

The Eagle project is owned by the scout that is doing the project for Eagle so they are responsible for the workforce doing the project.  As an adult we can advise on the project but the project is owned by the scout.  On most Eagle projects that I have assisted on the bigger issue I have seen is how the scout deals with adults working on the project.

In my Troop, all of the scouts and leaders help if they are available.  It should also be considered that we are a small troop so we usually need all the help we can get.  That being said you usually don't need 50 scouts to help with an Eagle Scout Project and if you do I am interested in what the project is.  That doesn't mean you can't incorporate all of the scouts in some way.  Some scouts can help with planning, while some can help with fundraising, and then some can help with the actual project.  This may work in some cases better than others.  Ultimately, the Scout does get to decide who helps where but they should be encouraged to get more than just their "friends" to help.   

The Eagle candidate determines the manpower needed.  I have seen many project where too many came to help and the Scout spent way too much time trying to find stuff for them to do.  When I work with the Scout our conversation is how many do you need and for what timeframe.  The better learning experience is for them to plan and manage the labor needed.

• Upvote 2

Our troop has everyone invited to help. Not everyone can make it. Also, when a Life Scout is planning his project he is reminded that there can be plenty of work for all. Even the youngest members, who are always eager to help and part of leadership is inclusiveness and still helping others to learn. Not to mention the lessons learned by leading those not in your immediate age group of peers. 

Sometimes the adult leaders/helpful parents are the hardest to lead🤣

We were in 3 different troops while my son was scout age.  Troop 1 encouraged the Eagle project leader to ask all the scouts to help in some way. Younger scouts were paired with older scouts or adults to learn a new skill if the need arose. or the younger guys were the go-fors. Everyone was encouraged to help if they could and the project allowed that much help.

Troop 2 the SM refused to sign off the pre-approval unless the troop was included as the main work group. His thoughts were an Eagle project belonged to the troop and this was one of the few ways boys could get service hours signed off. If the Eagle candidate didn't use the troop members to the satisfaction of the SM he'd give the project leader a hard time when it came time to sign off. His other rule was that he had to be at every work session, since he was signing the the candidate showed leadership he had to see it in every session for himself. This caused lots of conflicts with when and how a project could get done. Unfortunately, this is where son did his project. At final sign off the SM wouldn't sign the project as complete as my son used schoolmates and Girl Scouts as part of his crew. Instead he attached a 1 page legal brief type document stating  that in his opinion my son hadn't completed the project because he had used non BSA workers.  This lead us to move to troop 3.

Troop 3 is utterly laid back. SM doesn't care who, how or where the project gets done. Use scouts or not he doesn't care. He tells the project leader it's his problem solve it. If the SM is available to come help he will. With the new YPT rules he may not get to stay as laid back as he has been.

Luckily the district advancement people listened to my son at his EBoR and determined that he in fact had completed the project and the SM of Troop 2 was a pompous wind bag. Eagle granted.

Depends on the project. I have had some scouts do project where they needed a couple people who were very detail oriented for say painting very detailed and complicated patterns on a floor and they only invited a few older scouts to help and that was a very legitimate decision I thought by the scout.

Most other projects where there is lots of heavy lifting, digging, sawing/hammering, or slapping a solid color of paint onto some picnic benches or something then I would suggest pretty much anyone can help with so the whole troop gets invited.

I even had a scout who did his whole project with him and his friends from NYLT and did use anyone from the Troop, all the guys in that group all helped each other do their eagle projects. 

As a SM, I just talk to the scout and guide him to see what he thinks is best.

Edited by ham_solo
On 10/30/2018 at 6:35 AM, FaithfulScouter said:

Our Troop has 50 boys.  Right now we have six Eagle Service projects at varying stages.  Generally speaking,  the candidates invite the whole Troop to help them with fund raising, however when it come to the actual project, some of the Eagle candidates have been handpicking the Scouts who will work on their project.  There are some boys who would like to work on certain projects but they aren't invited to do so.

What are your thoughts on this?  If we are focusing on leadership development, shouldn't we ask the Scouts to manage people who aren't their best friends?

It's up to the Eagle candidate.  My youngest son noticed while working on his older brother's Eagle project, that after a certain number of boys, less work got done. So, when it was his turn, he didn't try to drum up as many workers.  Part of leadership is choosing your team when you are able.  If you know John, Mike and Joe are hard workers, and Fred, George and Mickey aren't, why wouldn't you just want John, Mike and Joe there?  Also, there is a matter of skills/age/etc.  

On 10/30/2018 at 6:55 AM, scotteg83 said:

Its the Scout doing the Eagle Project responsibility to find and provide the workforce.  No where does it say it has to be fellow Scouts to volunteer.  Personally I would encourage an open invitation because more hands could me quicker work.  But if they feel they can get it done with a select group, then that's their decision.  As a Eagle scout mentor, they should remind the Scout that in a work place in the future, they will have to work with people not of their own choosing, and this would be a great opportunity to get experience in working with a vast group of people.

More hands isn't always quicker work, when Boy Scout aged boys are involved.  

• Upvote 1

"The Work Is Done By Whoever Shows Up".  

Scoutson  renovated (partially)  the Rabbit Barn at the County Fair . Scouts, school friends,  Meeting Friends, 4H friends, two long days...  The Rabbit Barn superintendent was a  siding contractor, the County Fair and Rabbit 4H Club, the Rabbit Breeders Club all provided materials and support.  Facia, trim,  paint....    This led to other renovations over the following years.  Another nascent Eagle in another Troop replaced/rebuilt the lighting and ventilation system.  Another replaced repaired the interior siding and paint.   The initial example led to other work. .