High Adventure Ideas for 2020

18 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

Maybe pushing one every year is too much?  These trips can take a year of planning and fundraising to make happen, which is why most troops do every other year or every three years on these types of trips.  If you pump them out every year, how much input and planning do the Scouts really have versus letting the adults plan it?

I guess it depends on whether we do something on our own or pick an established HA camp.  While we'd need to commit to something in the next few months, the scout planning wouldn't start until later. I don't think it would require 2 years of planning.

Sea Base required little scout planning, although it should have had more from them. A former ASM in the troop ended up signing us up for the trip without running it through the scouts. We had a great time, but it was not done right. 

Philmont will require more prep. We're starting that. They will choose their trek. We'll work on skills.

I understand your point. When we joined, the troop hadn't done HA for 3 straight years. We're not a big troop and whatever HA trip we take, it will only be 1 crew of age-eligible scouts. That does simplify logistics to a point.

I think HA also keeps the older scouts interested in scouting. When they get older, they have more outside interests and it can be more difficult to keep them involved.

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

Maybe pushing one every year is too much?  These trips can take a year of planning and fundraising to make happen, which is why most troops do every other year or every three years on these types of trips.  If you pump them out every year, how much input and planning do the Scouts really have versus letting the adults plan it?

How frequently to do big-ticket scouting really depends on the boys, their resources, and their cohesiveness. However, not every high adventure has to come with a heavy price tag. It's nice to alternate expensive years with moderate cost years.

After these scouts come back from Philmont, they should be better prepared to build their own adventures.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I took a crew to MOHAB in 2018. It was a great trip.  I have also done Philmont and of the two trips MOHAB is better.  The picture below is of our last campsite on the trail. My email is petey9145@gmail.com .  I highly recommend this trip and  if you have any questions just ask.    

DSC01009.JPG

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Petey091 said:

I took a crew to MOHAB in 2018. It was a great trip.  I have also done Philmont and of the two trips MOHAB is better.  The picture below is of our last campsite on the trail. My email is petey9145@gmail.com .  I highly recommend this trip and  if you have any questions just ask.    

That looks amazing!!  I'd love to do it.

• 2 years later...

IMHO, don't do Philmont, Northern Tier, Summit, Sea Base....  I have done Philmont and Sea Base.  

I am a huge fan of having the youth plan and roll their own high adventure.  We have backpacked in the Gila Wilderness, paddled the Buffalo River, and sailed in the Puget Sound.  All those were cheaper than the BSA bases and the youth learned a ton more than on the BSA trips.  The BSA trips were all a ton of fun don't get me wrong.  but the experience and planning on the trips they planned were priceless.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

and there are many European adventures available.  

Camino de Santiago, very well traveled perhaps too crowded for a Scout Troop actually. Northern Spain, excellent Albergues Hostels), well marked , good public transport/bus and train. 

Many trails and historic places in Belgium and Netherlands. Very Bike friendly there.  I was on a WW1  history bus tour and met up with a Troop from Vancouver Canada ! Camping/bike touring....