5 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Now is the part of the transfer I am dreading, why we are leaving and having folks follow us over. As I mentioned, word is out, and I already had one Scout call my oldest about the matter. he plans on transferring. And I can see 2 to 3 others doing the same.

Had the SM message me last nite about what could the troop do to keep us. This was after my boys visited the troop. The positivity  and happiness was a 180 turnaround of late. So I told the SM it is too late. But I want to meet with him, and go into specifics without having to worry about eavesdroppers or dealing with the challenging people causing the issues. I've had enough of them. But the hard part will be conveying that it wasn't all the SM's fault. It wasn't. The "family friendly" policy is something he inherited, it just was not being used like it is now.  And that is why my kids have been frustrated. And when parents won't listen to the SM, let alone his existing ASMs, it is his fault. Combined with not having an active CC, he is trying to keep the troop together by himself. I know he's getting frustrated.

Just go to coffee and make sure to tell him a big thank you for everything he's done for you and your boys, and reiterate your friendship.  You are switching because you are seeking a boy-led troop that uses the patrol method, and sadly, this troop you've been in is becoming more adult led. Then thank him again and tell him that he is a good guy, and lightly go over your frustrations, but end with apprecation of your time together.  Maybe you'll get to work again in the future or maybe he'll come to your new troop too!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To coin a phrase...and try to refrain from saying this to everyone (though you want to)   Boy Scouts (11-17 year olds) was NEVER intended in any way shape or form to be a family event or gro

Wanted to give an update, especially since @CodyMiller351 posted about a problem Scouter and this may help him out. My boys and I leaving was indeed the catalyst for the troop's core adults to st

I have been very impressed with the courteous and respectful manner in how you've handled the situation from the beginning. If nothing else, they are loosing the role model of an Eagle Scout.  Ba

On 10/28/2018 at 10:29 PM, qwazse said:

If I were SM (and maybe this is why I never was), I would send a letter to the SE asking that the AoL of these Webelos be denied because they did not camp with the troop and therefore did not complete the requirements as written.  I'd cc the parents.

Yeah, that's how you make friends.  All the AOLs need to do is an outing with a troop.   I would not mess in a Pack you don't belong to.  

Like, once, a female SM in our troop was complaining about how a female CC in our Pack was wearing her shirt.  But, the boys in the troop were dressing very sloppy themselves.  Take care of your own unit and leave the other units alone! 

Plus, the SE is unlikely to interfere. 

Edited by WisconsinMomma
On 10/29/2018 at 9:16 PM, Eagle94-A1 said:

As Julius Caesar said, "Alea iacta est." The die is cast. Informed the SM next week is our last one with the troop to finish things up. Also told the CM I will be stepping down as Webelos DL. I don't feel comfortable being the WDL for this pack anymore since the entire purpose was not only to fill a position, but promote the troop and prepare them to join it. I do not want a repeat of being blamed for stealing another troop's Webelos. 

A quick question if I may.

I admit it's been about 20 years since I worked with Webelos, but I didn't promote any troop over another.  We visited 3 or 4 local troops and it was up to the cubs and their parents to pick out the troop that best fit their needs.    Have things changed ?

1 hour ago, Oldscout448 said:

A quick question if I may.

I admit it's been about 20 years since I worked with Webelos, but I didn't promote any troop over another.  We visited 3 or 4 local troops and it was up to the cubs and their parents to pick out the troop that best fit their needs.    Have things changed ?

Around here the Webelos dens still visit multiple troops as well.

Yet some troops, especially those with packs at the same CO, regard Webelos dens as “theirs” and any attempts to poach their property leads to smackdowns. It’s completely ridiculous, but that’s how people can get.

Edited by shortridge
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, shortridge said:

Yet some troops, especially those with packs at the same CO, regard Webelos dens as “theirs” and any attempts to poach their property leads to smackdowns. It’s completely ridiculous, but that’s how people can get.

Don't most den leaders initiate the visits?  I assume you just call who you want to call.

21 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

Don't most den leaders initiate the visits?  I assume you just call who you want to call.

Maybe,  but I think most troops still initiate the recruitment of Webelos. These troops have a ASM or Committee member (Membership Chair) serve as a Webelos liaison. He/she attends Pack Meetings, etc. often with a couple of his scouts who may or may not be den chiefs.

In our area, the den leader typically finds the location and meeting dates to the den and they decide on which ones they want to visit and then camp with.  I always recommended camping with at least two troops to get an idea of how they operate.

And for the meetings we always encouraged the dens to just drop in on the meeting, no phone call necessary, they should welcome the scouts and include them.

While I am a big proponent of visiting multiple troops, I was not planning to organize multiple visits, but encourage individuals to visit. A little history behind the Webelos and two Troops. Back in the day, one of the pack's Webelos DLs was also an ASM with the same troop I am soon to join. Webelos started joining the troop I am about to join, and not the troop I'm leaving. In a few years, the troop died, and it was blamed on the DL. 2 adults are still involved with the troop from then, and it is a very sore point with them. When we lost an entire den to the troop, those 2 leaders were furious. It didn't matter that several Webelos were in that CO's pack when it folded and they joined us,and 2 Webelos had brothers in that troop. The 2 adults concern was a repeat of what happened. Understandable.

• Upvote 1

Troop recruiting is a funny business.

Back when I was Cubmaster, we had a very active recruiting program.  It was a lot of work, but one that I enjoyed immensely.  One of my great joys was getting to know prospective families and helping them decide is Cub Scouts was for their son, and if so, whether our pack was a good fit.  It would not be a stretch to say they I'd average 2-3 hours per new Cub Scout.

When I moved over to the troop, it was a very different world.  Our recruiting focused so much more on simply providing a good program.  It was like the line from the movie Field of Dreams - "build it and they will come."  But, in neither case did we ever assume that "Scouts were ours".  In fact, we always saw other troops recruiting into the packs that feed us as encouragement.  If a troop comes in and starts recruiting better than us, or makes their program sound stronger, then it's a sign to us that we need to work a bit harder.

I mean this in the nicest way @Eagle94-A1, but if a DL decides to take his boys to a different troop - then shame on my troop. It would be unfair of my troop to blame the DL.

Edited by ParkMan
fixed an ambiguous pronoun
  • Like 1

I love troop visit nights. You meet the AoLs. You meet Parents. Engage with scouters. And you can realize, if you are watching closely, what people think of your troop. 

Be sure to talk up other troops too. Like they are doing great! They haven't had any emergency room trips this year. And so far no one has received any DUIs in the past six months. If the adult presses for details get vague, mutter about how you really can't talk about it legally. 

• Haha 1

But in all seriousness. I remember what it was like as a parent. You think, once I join there's no switching. I make it clear to parents that our most fervent desire is that their child enjoys and gets the most out of their scouting experience. We want them to succeed. If that happens with our troop, that's great. And if they want to explore other troops, that's also great. The most important thing for all troops is that their scout finds a place that works for them and that it is perfectly acceptable to search for a new troop whenever the scout wishes. I remind them that every troop has a different mix, a different set of capabilities, and a different program. All of which can change over time. 

And if a scout has a parent that I can tell is going to be difficult, I'm happy if they choose another troop. And I'll work with what we have if they don't. 

• Upvote 1