We have early bird-pricing and camperships but haven't adopted a published Tier price structure for summer camp. How well is this working for scouts, the program, and camps?

...Tier A represents the true cost of camp for a scout. Tier B is partially a subsidized rate, marking the halfway point between Tiers A and C. Tier C is a heavily subsidized rate meant to be competitive with other camps. Each tier receives the same benefits and opportunities during camp, but Dave Plond, scout executive for the Overland Trails Council of Boy Scouts of America said it’s a way for families who can afford to pay the entire cost of their scout’s camp experience to do so. 

While Plond said they expect most campers to pay the Tier C rate, Tiers A and B were included in the list of prices as an option for families with the financial means to contribute more. He hopes the move also brings awareness to the true costs of camp and encourage families with the means to provide additional assistance to the council.

Besides the competition factor, Plond said, the main reason to not simply increase camp costs is to make sure local scouts have an option for attending camp. Camps are an essential element of the scouting program.

http://www.hastingstribune.com/news/officials-making-changes-to-help-keep-iconic-camp-augustine-open/article_8b6e4078-d5fb-11e8-94c9-e33d3ad6d2de.html

https://overlandtrailscouncil.com/camping/summer-camp/summer-camp-pricing/

In Central Florida we do not have tiered pricing so to speak, but there are a few things that can lower the cost, although not by a whole lot.

If you have a sibling attending camp, you get a $20 discount, if you attend more than one week of summer camp you get a $20 discount (this second week discount applies even if the second week is at a different camp).  There are also Council scholarships, which can cover up to 50% of the $320 weekly fee.

This is our local camp.  When the tiered pricing came out it was very confusing as the statement that they expected most people to pay Tier C was left out.  It's a great camp to go to.  The river runs along the south side of the property.  Lots of wildlife.  

• 1 month later...

As the person responsible for collecting all the payments from the families and sending them to the Council on the various payment due dates, I would find this system very confusing and it would add a lot of extra work on my part trying to figure out who is going to pay what amount and then making sure I send the correct amounts to the Council.

So, any amount paid above Tier C is a charitable contribution?  I'll just deduct that amount from my FOS donation.  I've always heard it's better to offer an "Early Bird Discount" instead of a "Late Fee".  One is a benefit, the other is a punishment.

48 minutes ago, scoutldr said:

So, any amount paid above Tier C is a charitable contribution?  I'll just deduct that amount from my FOS donation.  I've always heard it's better to offer an "Early Bird Discount" instead of a "Late Fee".  One is a benefit, the other is a punishment.

I think that's the point. If the majority of your campers are subsidized, best let everyone know.

I bet the families who do pay tier A will be sent a targeted FOS letter.

Not sure if it will work for them, but if it does you'll be seeing it in a council near you pretty soon.