Do I need 2 uniforms?

In addition to the fact that there is no "cub-" or "boy scout-" specific trained patch per se these days (you can wear the red or the green at your preference), it's also important to remember that you should never wear two of any patch on the uniform. No doubles of anything, even if it's an award you've earned twice.

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 1

Ok, probably touch a few nerves on this one.  Need a uniform for each type, probably not.  I have them from commissioner, district committee, and troop positions.  If you don't have additional uniforms, just change loops and may want to go the Velcro position patch and/or numbers change.  Here is where the nerve piece comes in.  Having completed training, the BSA says there is no "class A" uniform, only the official uniform.  The one commonly called "Class B" is just the field shirt option, pants don't change.  With that said, another thread mentioned what do scouters really wear on outings.  Some strictly said they are official uniform (class A) all the time.  I have seen some of these scouters on outings that don't leave a chair, can't hike a trail, or participate with the youth, so it is easy to preserve their official uniform.  For those adults participating with activities, I think there is nothing wrong with a field shirt and what the youth are wearing.  Ever rock climb in the official uniform...impractical.  Tearing up a field shirt should be a good thing if done during activities with youth.

It's easier with separate uniforms for each role. It's more of a hassle than you realize to switch stuff around. And they wear faster doing double duty. Extra shirts can be found on the cheap fairly easy. EBay can be your friend in this.

I actually use two uniforms for each role. One "dress" poplin and one "field" microfiber. The dress one has all the fun stuff or sentimental items on it for indoor meetings, ceremonies, etc. The field one has the bare minimum and that's what is worn  to camp and other active  events.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Double Eagle said:

may want to go the Velcro position patch and/or numbers change

I see a lot of Scouters with Velcro, personally, I am not a big fan.  Many only use Velcro for the position patch, and thus are wearing unit numbers with a Commissioner or District Committee patch, or have the Commissioner Arrowhead Honor on a uniform with unit designation.  I have also been known to re-sew knots or other patches multiple times because they were just a tiny bit of kilter.  Imagine then what it does when I see a Velcro patch that is crooked or sideways (or on occasion on the wrong sleeve altogether).

I have 2 troop uniforms, 2 for the pack, and one as a Commissioner.  I also have (although I  wear them on rare occasions) retro 60's uniforms for both troop and pack.  Having spent all but my first few months in Scouting in troops on military bases, I am pretty particular about how my uniform looks, and in 54 years cannot ever remember wearing the shirt with anything but uniform pants, belt and socks.  I no longer worry much about the Scouts themselves wearing a uniform shirt with non uniform pants or shorts, as I know how expensive it can be to fully outfit someone who will, in many cases, outgrow those pants very quickly.

36 minutes ago, MattR said:

I have a shirt with no position patch. If people have to look at my uniform to see what I do then they can just as easily ask me. Usually I'm right there. :)

I have a spare shirt that has my knots, council patch and no unit number or position patch, makes a good backup shirt

1 hour ago, Double Eagle said:

Having completed training, the BSA says there is no "class A" uniform, only the official uniform.  The one commonly called "Class B" is just the field shirt option, pants don't change.  With that said, another thread mentioned what do scouters really wear on outings.  Some strictly said they are official uniform (class A) all the time.  I have seen some of these scouters on outings that don't leave a chair, can't hike a trail, or participate with the youth, so it is easy to preserve their official uniform.  For those adults participating with activities, I think there is nothing wrong with a field shirt and what the youth are wearing.  Ever rock climb in the official uniform...impractical.  Tearing up a field shirt should be a good thing if done during activities with youth.

We wear the "official uniform" in transit to outings.  Actually we call it Class A and are just hoping the uniform and or phrase police stop by and try to ticket us. 

But anyway, when we arrive, the Scouts take off the class A (typically tossing them into the dirt) for setup, activities, etc.  Most scouts have the Class B troop t-shirts / summer camp / fleece / hoodies to wear.  When we depart everyone is back in the Class A shirts.  Also good times with many calls that their Class A shirts have been stolen until someone points to the tan lump under some leaves.

I use a new unit as an excuse to buy a new shirt.  I figure I'm involved in a unit for several years, so might as well have a new shirt that will last the duration.

It's a minor thing as it lets me "retire" my old shirt when I leave a unit.