Cub Scout Shooting Sports and NRA

So at the BB Gun range for the Cub-o-ree last weekend, the instructor, while going over the range safety and eye dominance and other stuff, included the adage "Stop, Don't touch, Leave the area, Tell an adult".  I recognized this from the NRA's "Eddie the Eagle" gun safety for children program.

I understand that we require all our rangemasters to be certified.  Is the NRA the only group that provides the certification?  Is promoting the NRA's "GunSafe" mantra a requirement of that certification?

And do we include other groups' materials when we instruct scouts?  Could I, say, teach the 4-H pledge when counseling on the Animal Science merit badge?

We include other groups' ideas when they are relevant to what we're teaching and when they are consistent with our Aims and Methods.

BSA has its own requirements for shooting sports certifications.  NRA certification is not a component of certification for BB range.  I don't recall whether it is a component for more advanced ranges like .22 and shotgun.

3 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

NRA certification is not a component of certification for BB range.  I don't recall whether it is a component for more advanced ranges like .22 and shotgun.

To be certified for Cub BB & Archery you take a BSA course, in which the instructor must be either NRA or National Camp School certified.

Fehler see

Page 33 of the Cub scout shooting manual for the listing of the procedures  "If you find a gun".  Probably lifted from Eddie Eagle program, but is part of material presented in the training for Rangemasters.

See BSA Shooting sports manual for training materials utilized by a National Camp School Shooting Sports Director.  NRA Rifle Instructor can also teach the BB gun section and a USA Level I can teach the archery section.

Cant speak to use of the other organizations material for other subjects. But, yes the NRA and BSA have a very healthy and respectful relationship for education.

On 10/18/2018 at 11:15 AM, Fehler said:

So at the BB Gun range for the Cub-o-ree last weekend, the instructor, while going over the range safety and eye dominance and other stuff, included the adage "Stop, Don't touch, Leave the area, Tell an adult".  I recognized this from the NRA's "Eddie the Eagle" gun safety for children program.

I understand that we require all our rangemasters to be certified.  Is the NRA the only group that provides the certification?  Is promoting the NRA's "GunSafe" mantra a requirement of that certification?

And do we include other groups' materials when we instruct scouts?  Could I, say, teach the 4-H pledge when counseling on the Animal Science merit badge?

Is there something that you don't agree with in the message of "Stop, Don't touch, Leave the area, Tell an adult"?  Is there something that is not age appropriate in that message for Cub Scouts?

I’m about as anti-NRA as you can get, but I don’t see anything wrong with borrowing a simple, easy-to-remember phrase about safety.

If the BSA were explicitly pushing the Eddie Eagle curriculum or pushing any of the NRA’s political lines, I’d have a major objection. But that doesn’t appear to be the case here.

4 minutes ago, shortridge said:

I’m about as anti-NRA as you can get, but I don’t see anything wrong with borrowing a simple, easy-to-remember phrase about safety.

If the BSA were explicitly pushing the Eddie Eagle curriculum or pushing any of the NRA’s political lines, I’d have a major objection. But that doesn’t appear to be the case here.

You would object to the Eddie Eagle curriculum?  There is nothing political about the curriculum at all...  

I would include "Call the police, report child endangerment", but I'm guessing the NRA wouldn't appreciate my opinion on the matter.

The question I had was "Is Eddie the Eagle an official part of the BSA Shooting Sports curriculum, or did our instructor include it of his own volition?"

The "Tell an adult" part covers that... the adult corrects the situation in an appropriate manner.  The main point is safety by teaching the kids to not touch the firearm and to leave the area.  The effectiveness is debatable, but the point is not political.

On 10/21/2018 at 11:46 AM, cyphertext said:

You would object to the Eddie Eagle curriculum?  There is nothing political about the curriculum at all...  

The curriculum may not be but the NRA certainly is, and they don't keep their political views out of their involvement in the BSA.

Here's a sampling of the materials that NRA members send home with scouts:

NRA-BSA.jpg

If it were just about providing good universal curriculum, I'd have no issue with it. But because of stuff like this, along with the NRA's highly political agenda, I'd personally prefer to see the BSA end their relationship with the NRA.

Edited by FireStone
  • Upvote 1