I Feel a Disturbance in the Shenanigans

As I've stated, I'm good with girls in scouting. I've been amazed at the numbers for girl cub scouts being reported here on the forum and wondering how accurate it is. I've no way to judge. I've only seen one girl Webelos unit in my district and I only know of two others in the council. Not to say that there aren't more girl cub scout units in my council, but I'm not involved in them so I don't know anything other than what I hear or see. 

But in any case, after the last Webelos Woods event I was interested in a girl Webelos unit close to me. My daughter is interested in joining. I couldn't find online when they met or any information about dues, but there was a council page that directed to the pack that allows you to request further information. So I used it. It asks for the scouts name, date of birth, and current grade level along with the parent's contact information etc. I specifically stated that I needed contact from the Pack to find out additional information. I figured I'd hear back fairly soon. Right after that, it became obvious my daughter was having issues with a school transition so any further plans were put on hold until that could be resolved. 

No one from the pack contacted me. Not surprising. Things aren't always as advertised after all. In the interim I did find when and where the pack met, so I could wander over there when I felt my daughter was settled in the new school. 

Then I get a call the other day from the council office. I was worried that they were going to cancel my scout troop's camping reservations, as it is rather busy at the local area camp these days. It was from a DE in whatever role, I didn't really catch it too well. He tells me that they had a glitch in the system. (oh great, there goes my camping reservation) "Apparently," he says, "when you filled out that information request form, we processed it and now your daughter is enrolled by national in the cub scouts."  He then went on with a short discussion that I could rescind that or let it ride for the rest of the year. No payment required.  

Gosh, that sounds awfully convenient. My "shenanigan" bells went off. Awfully interesting that my daughter got registered, without a pack, without filling out any application with the three pages that go to pack/council/national. With the payment waved. Is it possible? Sure. Errors happen and certainly I've not been impressed with some of the computer related things that have happened in BSA. But it sounds too good to be true. 

So as much as I hate to, I now have a major problem with believing those numbers that are being reported. 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Buggie said:

So as much as I hate to, I now have a major problem with believing those numbers that are being reported. 

Hmm, the BSA was caught in a scandal something like this 20 years ago with the Learning for Life program. The inflated numbers were significant, but I don't remember how much. I seemed to remember they got sued. 

Barry

Hey, everyone else's mileage may vary.  I can only point to what I felt that my council did that feels wrong. And it could truly be a glitch. Course I share this council with at least two other posters here that I know of. *eyeballs them* 

It could also be a way someone (at some level in the org) is trying to bring cub scouts in. Here, a try before you buy program. No risk at all since it is so close to the end of the year. And if you're hooked, you pay the fees for the new year. 

Honestly, I feel it's more the enticement to try it out for those parents who might be sitting on the fence. 

It's like our Venturing registration (a.k.a. paper crews) spawned an evil twin (a.k.a. paper membership) 12 years later!

I'll spare you the details. Bottom line: registration "numbers" are a bold-faced lie.

To whom it may concern ... in any report from your council or national, insist on tallies of paid registrations or throw the report back in the exec's face.

You would do well to call your council president and let him/her know what's going on. (Ours was in our troop, so I didn't need to go far to report shenanigans.)

I watched a facebook live from my local council yesterday and the numbers given was 3,000 and something boys registered in the council as of end of September.  The number of boys registered was 5 more than at the same time last year.  The number of girls that had registered as of the end of September was 285 if I remember correctly. 

Also over 60% of the adults registered had completed the new youth protection.  In my district 71% had completed the new youth protection.   

36 minutes ago, Buggie said:

Not sure about other councils, but here in Central Florida we were given a number of 1004 girls last month.  I know we picked up 11 in our pack, and that was a small number compared to some of the others in our district.  The tell will be how many of those girls continue the entire school year, or indeed, how many have even attended a meeting.

I have no trouble seeing over 1,000 registrations here.  As I said earlier, we have 11 girls in our pack, and as someone who worked school night presentations for several other packs, I saw a lot of girls coming in.

@Setonfan   I've no idea.  I can only speak to what this DE said. It makes me wonder if others are doing this and if it is inflating the numbers. 

I have no way to judge the numbers being reported. I've not even seen numbers for my own council/district. I can only report what he told me regarding my daughter. Even if it was something that was inflating the numbers, I've no idea by how much. 

@Buggie Did you submit request for more info through beascout.org?  I have seen a few requests come in from that but what is odd is that it only generates a lead in the online system, not an application.  Someone in your council must have manually converted your lead into an application.   They appear to be totally separate systems (leads and applications) online.  

One suggestion, log onto my.scouting.org and see if you have anything under the Youth Profile.  My son was a paper app and nothing is there for him.  My daughter was an online app and her profile appears.  Just a guess (based on my experience), but if this was simply an online app mistake I would think you would see her under your profile.  If someone in council printed out your lead and made it into a paper app it may not show up.  

2 hours ago, Buggie said:

Gosh, that sounds awfully convenient. My "shenanigan" bells went off. Awfully interesting that my daughter got registered, without a pack, without filling out any application with the three pages that go to pack/council/national. With the payment waved. Is it possible? Sure. Errors happen and certainly I've not been impressed with some of the computer related things that have happened in BSA. But it sounds too good to be true. 

For our council roundup night we were told, regardless of whether your pack is accepting girls or not, regardless of whether you have the 5 minimum or not, register all girls and take their parent's money.  District/Council will find them a place.  I have no idea how many might have been affected as we had 0 girls show up.

11 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

For our council roundup night we were told, regardless of whether your pack is accepting girls or not, regardless of whether you have the 5 minimum or not, register all girls and take their parent's money.  District/Council will find them a place.  I have no idea how many might have been affected as we had 0 girls show up.

Family packs have no minimum number of girls.   Where does the 5 come from?

2 hours ago, Eagledad said:

Hmm, the BSA was caught in a scandal something like this 20 years ago with the Learning for Life program. The inflated numbers were significant, but I don't remember how much. I seemed to remember they got sued. 

Barry

Greater Alabama Council got caught and it was major. Sadly their Scout Executive was allowed to retire. And I've seen it happen elsewhere. It really destroyed BSA image in my neckof the woods as it was happening here too. There is an incredible amount of pressure increase membership, and some professionals will do anything to make their goals. One of the reasons I left the profession: I do not play that game.

If the girl was automatically registered without filling out an application or paying, I would be VERY concerned.