The troop I am with has NEVER done an Junior Leader Training. And the boys ability to lead is a direct reflection of that.

I have been SM for a short period of time and I desparately want to start the JLT process.

I have a copy of the "scoutmaster junior leader training kit" which I have read. But there is only so much you can get out of the book.

I'm looking for some advice from the experts out there.

What do you do?

How often do you do it?

Who attends?

How should it be run when NO ONE has ever had any training?

Do I run it as a weekend campout, or over a few nights or what?

Help!

Doesn't the Junior leader training kit have some suggestions? As I recall it recommends a campout or just a one day activity. Don't worry about this being the first time. That is exactly what that course is designed for. Try it once. Just follow the agenda in the kit, gather the props, get a tv/vcr, order some pizzas for lunch, and give it a whirl.

It'll be fun, really.

BW

I have to agree with Bob. The kit is designed so that first-timers can do it and be successful. Use the video, which you may not have received with the book. The number is AV-02V013, available from the Scout Shop or through the catalog 800 number.

Our troop does it on a Saturday. It includes a service project for our chartered organization. I wouldn't order pizza for lunch. Lunch is not a break from the training. It's an important part of the training itself. The boys work together as a team to prepare lunch, and may discover something.

There's no reason to re-invent the wheel. Follow the book.

I agree with FScouter. If you want to do this with a campout, start on Friday night. Have some place inside to show a movie. Cool Runnings, Remember the Titians, October Sky are good. They show team building which is good to start off the training with. Remember to do a reflection after the movie. I also have ice cream, pop, popcorn and cookies for everyone to eat during the movie.

Dancin

I recently just did this training. It was done on a Saturday read the material, watch the video then read the material and watch the video again. I incorperated other leaders in the unit to either host the activity or the discussion. Send out personal invitations to the Scout's home announce it in e-mails have fun with it.

We started this troop last year and had our first JLT last winter as a lock-in (scouts played the night before and then did JLT on Saturday). It's a great experience and it made a huge difference in our boy-leadership capabilities.

We're holding our next JLT in the fall shortly after elections. Attendance is limited (recommended about 10 scouts). Preference will be given in the following order:

1) SPL & PLs are expected to attend

2) Scouts who have never attended JLT

3) Scouts who have attended but hold other troop positions

4) Scouts who have attended but hold no position

The kit is a great start and gives a good outline. You can tailor it to your own needs. There are some good websites out there. Here are a couple:

http://www.scouter659.htmlplanet.com/index.html

http://www.netwoods.com/d-leadership.html#JLT